UK politics, Truss me, I really am that mental.

My experience of this in the UK recently is that the double-barrelled surname is less likely to be someone taking both names after marriage and more likely to be the children of that marriage using both parents’ names (or the children of parents who never were/no longer are married)

4 hours ago, Maltaran said:

There’s at least one Tory with a quadruple-barrelled name, Richard Grosvenor Plunkett-Ernle-Erle-Drax

Oh come on, you just made that up.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Do you know what Boris's actual name is? 

Not off the top of my head but yes, I’ve seen the ridiculous list.

eta: when Boris was PM and he had another kid, you guys talked about his background and his names.

Edited by Fragile Bird

25 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh come on, you just made that up.

Genuine Tory. His grandfather served with Ian Fleming during the war and is the reason the villain of Moonraker is called Drax. Further back in time the family owned the largest plantation in Barbados and, not coincidentally, the current Drax is strongly opposed to the government paying reparations for slavery.

3 hours ago, Denvek said:

My experience of this in the UK recently is that the double-barrelled surname is less likely to be someone taking both names after marriage and more likely to be the children of that marriage using both parents’ names (or the children of parents who never were/no longer are married)

My experience of it is my wife and I went with a double-barrelled surname, and when my son got married instead of a triple barrelled name he went double barrelled with his wife's surname and dropping my family name. If more and more double-barrelled names are adopted I wonder what decision a couple will make when both of their names are double-barrelled. Seeing for the first time that quadruple barrelling actually exists I guess that's on the cards for some, but I doubt that's likely to catch on. 

However I'm not sure double barrelling will become more common, as I'm seeing more couples take on the wife's surname only, often for reasons like the man having a few brothers, or the woman being an only child or only having sisters who are already all married and taken on their husband's name. I even know a couple who took the wife's mother's family name, not totally sure of the reason, but could be that it was so the name wouldn't die out in their family tree. Interestingly there is a possibly of my family name dying out in our family tree, though the name itself seems unlikely to ever die out since it is common as muck in the English-speaking world.

Posted (edited)

My sister is a Clarke and her man is a Waxman. They are not married, but they and their spawn are occasionally and affectionally referred to as The Waxmarks.

Something about this appeals to the 14-year-old Ben Elton fan in me.

Edited by Spockydog

What did they decide to make the legal names of the spawn? One might argue as is the Jewish heredity wont that sans DNA test you can only be 100% sure that the one who gave birth is the parent (though with donated eggs even that's not absolute, in a genetic sense, anymore), so that's a potential argument for the sprogs to take the mother's name. Conversely, I guess, if you want everyone to believe the male partner contributed the sperm, whether true or not, the kids should take the father's name to minimise rumours and gossip.

Labour member canvassing for votes uses a racial slur after being told that the person did not vote for the labour candidate. I've read online that Birmingham Labour has had issues with racism in the past too and nothing has been done to change it.

23 minutes ago, A wilding said:

A sign of just how far right Labour have drifted though, that they are willing to accept her in their ranks. Apparently she thinks Starmer will be better at "stopping the boats" than Sunak!

Since she is standing down at the general election, accepting her costs nothing and gains them points in embarasing Sunak.

39 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

"Under Rishi Sunak, the Conservatives have become a byword for incompetence and division."

Pretty hard to argue with that statement 

They were synonymous with incompetence and division long before Sunak, weren't they?

17 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

They were synonymous with incompetence and division long before Sunak, weren't they?

Sunak was widely seen as potentially less incompetent than BoJo and Truss.
I have no love for the man and his policies, but to blame him for Tory incompetence and division is really unfair.

Just now, Rippounet said:

Sunak was widely seen as potentially less incompetent than BoJo and Truss.
I have no love for the man and his policies, but to blame him for Tory incompetence and division is really unfair.

They haven't really gotten any more competent however.

7 hours ago, A wilding said:

A sign of just how far right Labour have drifted though, that they are willing to accept her in their ranks. Apparently she thinks Starmer will be better at "stopping the boats" than Sunak!

She does seem like she would be better suited to the Reform party, but perhaps wanted to be in a party that might actually win something.