International Events : How I learnt to stop worrying and love the-

Looks like the Indian elections will have 970 million eligible voters, so that would easily be 500+ million actually voting. But not my parents, since they moved states recently and its a pain to get on the rolls. Not sure their 2 votes would have made a difference to Modi's juggernaut though.

Unless a system pro-actively manages electoral rolls to ensure you are able to vote then it's effectively a voter suppression system. Difficult to manage in countries the size of the US and India esp given a lot of electoral administration is left to states rather than federal agencies. But still, if you are registered in one state to vote and move to another it should be possible to cast a special vote even if you relocated the day before the election.

7 hours ago, Gorn said:

I agree that being sceptical is a healthy attitude on today's internet, but I consider AP to be a reputable source:

https://apnews.com/article/iran-israel-s300-radar-hit-isfahan-attack-ce6719d3df8ebf5af08b035427ee215c

Plus, if you want to verify for yourself, you can always purchase a Planet Labs subscription and go right to the source.

Saw something similar in the NYT. 

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/04/20/world/israel-iran-gaza-war-news#satellite-imagery-shows-that-a-precision-attack-damaged-an-air-defense-system-at-an-iranian-base

That's good enough for me.  I'd rather wait for reporting from a reputable news source rather than scouring Twitter for random tweets.

1 hour ago, Mudguard said:

Saw something similar in the NYT. 

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/04/20/world/israel-iran-gaza-war-news#satellite-imagery-shows-that-a-precision-attack-damaged-an-air-defense-system-at-an-iranian-base

That's good enough for me.  I'd rather wait for reporting from a reputable news source rather than scouring Twitter for random tweets.

Assuming they still exist.

I guess things haven't got so bad that there are not reliable purveyors of objective information about world political events. But the number of such institutions seems to be a lot less than it used to. Either that or the biases and ideological influences were always there but are more obvious now.

13 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Assuming they still exist.

I guess things haven't got so bad that there are not reliable purveyors of objective information about world political events. But the number of such institutions seems to be a lot less than it used to. Either that or the biases and ideological influences were always there but are more obvious now.

Yeah, even the so called reliable news sources can be wrong sometimes, and they can certainly have their biases.  But at least they supposedly have an internal fact checking system in place, which is a big step up from posts on social media. 

To me, citing a Twitter post is essentially no different than citing a random Reddit post as an authority or factual source of information.  Sure, it could be accurate, but it could also easily be complete bullshit, and I have no interest in trying to fact check a Twitter post or any other type of post on social media.  It boggles my mind that so many people get their news from Twitter, Facebook, Ticktock, etc.  Even the NYT and other major news sources cited a Twitter post from an alleged ex-government image analyst for his conclusions on the Israeli strike on Iran.  I hate this practice, but I see it more and more often.

15 hours ago, Mudguard said:

He cited a twitter post from some guy called AbuAliEnglish or something.

I posted one of many dozens of analyses from the satellite photos released by the US government, picked up on by numerous reputable sources in the OSINT community whose credibility has been established pretty thoroughly over years.

3 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

It boggles my mind that so many people get their news from Twitter, Facebook, Ticktock, etc.  Even the NYT and other major news sources cited a Twitter post from an alleged ex-government image analyst for his conclusions on the Israeli strike on Iran.  I hate this practice, but I see it more and more often.

It is mind-boggling but it also makes it really easy to understand the world we're living in and how people actually believe the most insane and nonsensical stuff possible.

I don't get my news from such venues.  But I feel I'm just about the only one who waits until more consistently fact checking and reporting venues go up with 'information' instead of just rushing hither thither to tell and believe whatever the xtit etc. say and pass it on.

That doesn't mean blindly believing what those venues say either -- re NYT and Yellow Cake, for a single instance, not to mention some of ridiculous stuff its put up more lately.  More and more, in fact, lately.  Of course they do try to cover it by pretending it's opinion in very small fonts.

Edited by Zorral

As usual, Perun's analysis of the attack is painstakingly thorough and looks at what exactly people wanted to achieve from the Iranian attack and the Israeli counter, and notes how the messaging is quite mixed depending on the audience.

He does tend towards the view the Iranian attack was not supposed to trigger a larger conflict but Iran was likely hoping it would do more than it did. Most notably, the use of the ballistic missiles as the primary secondary component of the attack, under the likely assumption they could not be intercepted as easily, is hard to square with this fully being "just" a demonstration.

Israel's response was considerably less grandiose but likely sent a much starker warning to Iran about Israel's capabilities and, more importantly, the utter uselessness of Iran's defences against them.

When it comes to things like the war in Ukraine, Twitter is the main source of info. The classical media has no first-hand info, so all they do is interviews with "experts" or rehash stuff found on Twitter. That's not all bad as the Institute for the Study of War or the UK ministry of defence regularly post their latest intel there.

I hadn't realised it before the war, but politicians and journalists depend heavily on Twitter, which is why there was such an outcry when Musk started to mess with it. 

21 minutes ago, Loge said:

When it comes to things like the war in Ukraine, Twitter is the main source of info. The classical media has no first-hand info, so all they do is interviews with "experts" or rehash stuff found on Twitter. That's not all bad as the Institute for the Study of War or the UK ministry of defence regularly post their latest intel there.

I hadn't realised it before the war, but politicians and journalists depend heavily on Twitter, which is why there was such an outcry when Musk started to mess with it. 

Twitter is an absolute cesspool.  I have been a happier person since I left it behind.

29 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Twitter is an absolute cesspool.  I have been a happier person since I left it behind.

I have left it, too. But that has made me more dependent on youtube... Never encountered any of the nasty stuff while I was using Twitter, though. I guess I was careful with who I followed. And I never wrote a tweet either. 

Protests in Argentina just keep getting bigger and bigger... I wonder how long until Wolverine sends the army to deal with them since I believe he has managed to pass some anti-protest legislation. 

These protests and demos are spreading to many campuses across the US.  That seems to be in provoked at least in part to the cops and shut downs and calls by the fascist ilks in congress etc. that the National Guard, the cops, somebody come in beat their asses and arrest them -- or as the stinkin' pile demand, I think it was him, be shot and hung.

Shades of 1967!

But reports such as the latest bombing in Rafah, in which over 30 people were killed -- most of them children -- will also heighten the activist protest movement.

Just now, Zorral said:

These protests and demos are spreading to many campuses across the US.  That seems to be in provoked at least in part to the cops and shut downs and calls by the fascist ilks in congress etc. that the National Guard, the cops, somebody come in beat their asses and arrest them -- or as the stinkin' pile demand, I think it was him, be shot and hung.

Shades of 1967!

Yeah, I saw another vid where the police or uni guards where really going for the students very violently, using batons and so on. That was in Austin, I think. Somewhere else the students surrounded the police car that was trying to arrest the organiser (I think) of the protest. Maybe that was Austin too, or maybe Harvard or Yale? Hard to keep track since it's virtually everywhere now.