US Politics: The Bully Culprit

DMC

52 minutes ago, DMC said:

Thread is at 22 pages .  Also annoyed me that the horse couldn’t spell politics for a couple weeks.

What to say, horses lack ego, as there is no I in horse. belatedly fixed it, and would've done so earlier if you had let me know.

47 minutes ago, DMC said:

By this I assume you mean the majority of Americans, because they disagree with Israel’s actions.  It’s pretty absurd to characterize college students that share the same position in the way you are.  Indeed, this positioning is much more reflective of the “toxic elements” you’re referring to.  I’d appreciate it if you considered how ill-informed your responses are before neglecting to think through the issue and hitting the submit button.

Strong words from a strong man: Captain Insaneo 

Meanwhile, I never understood anti-semitism. I thought I did. I've put in the study time on Nazis, always found them perversely interesting - like lots of people.

But goddamn, I missed it. Just completely missed it. There's something sick and fascinating about watching the most privileged people on earth discover activism when it's the one Jewish state that's been attacked. The one Jewish state that has to defend itself- from attack!

12 minutes ago, Jace, Extat said:

But goddamn, I missed it. Just completely missed it. There's something sick and fascinating about watching the most privileged people on earth discover activism when it's the one Jewish state that's been attacked. The one Jewish state that has to defend itself- from attack

Let’s not do this on the thread.  You wanna argue about the IP conflict, cool.  PM me.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Thread is at 22 pages .  Also annoyed me that the horse couldn’t spell politics for a couple weeks.

Oh, c'mon.  Just admit you wanted to use that thread title.  It had to play into it a little bit.  

A correction to certain allegations made about the US voter, here is this, going back to February already:

Voters Support the U.S. Calling for Permanent Ceasefire in Gaza and Conditioning Military Aid to Israel

This despite the millions poured into the IDF-Israeli propaganda machine since last fall.

https://www.dataforprogress.org/blog/2024/2/27/voters-support-the-us-calling-for-permanent-ceasefire-in-gaza-and-conditioning-military-aid-to-israel#:~:text=After being presented with these,de-escalation of violence in

Voters Support the U.S. Calling for Permanent Ceasefire in Gaza and Conditioning Military Aid to Israel
A new survey from Data for Progress asked likely U.S. voters about various foreign policy issues, particularly related to the ongoing war in Gaza.

When asked if they approve or disapprove of the way Joe Biden is handling the Israel-Palestine conflict, voters disapprove by a -21-point margin, with 57% disapproving and 36% approving. This margin has increased since Data for Progress started polling this question in early November, with approval highest in late November after the last temporary ceasefire began. 

However, disapproval of President Biden’s handling of the Israel-Palestine conflict is driven primarily by Republicans, with 79% expressing disapproval. While a majority of Democrats (61%) approve of Biden’s handling of the conflict by a +31-point margin, this margin is only about half the margin of Democrats’ approval for Biden’s overall job performance (+60).

Around two-thirds of voters (67%) — including majorities of Democrats (77%), Independents (69%), and Republicans (56%) — support the U.S. calling for a permanent ceasefire and a de-escalation of violence in Gaza. This represents a 6-point increase in support for the U.S. calling for a permanent ceasefire since Data for Progress last polled this question in November, with a 12-point increase among Independents.

Voters were then asked the same question, but with the specification that the U.S. calling for a permanent ceasefire and de-escalation of violence in Gaza would include “the release of Israeli hostages from Gaza.” After the addition of that language, voter support for the U.S. calling for a permanent ceasefire increases to 74%, a 7-point increase. ....

Many charts and graphs within the report.

This is a huge dilemma for Biden and the Dems.

See the situation in swing state Michigan and the tale of Deerborn's mayor and his voters, which is delineated in the WaPo this morning.

This Michigan mayor turned down a meeting with Biden’s campaign manager. That move sent a message.
Navigating between residents’ rage over Gaza and Democrats’ fears of another Trump term, Abdullah Hammoud must decide whether to back President Biden.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/04/28/5000-miles-away-michigan-mayor-center-gaza-storm/

The comments, going on 2000 by now, generally do not back this war, but are terrified that not voting for Biden no matter what means we know what.  A real cliff hanger for the election.

Edited by Zorral

Biden not doing so well in polls. The Dems messaging sucks, their undying support of Israel is absolutely hurting them.

Also, the average voter is just a selfish ignorant fool that has horrible memory. "The economy was good under Trump!" Ignoring how he had most of pre covid, and the economy was "good" thanks to Obama.

Israeli Officials Believe I.C.C. Is Preparing Arrest Warrants Over War

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/28/world/middleeast/icc-arrest-warrants-israel-hamas.html

Israeli officials increasingly believe that the International Criminal Court is preparing to issue arrest warrants for senior government officials on charges related to the conflict with Hamas, according to five Israeli and foreign officials.

The Israeli and foreign officials also believe the court is weighing arrest warrants for leaders from Hamas.

If the court proceeds, the Israeli officials could potentially be accused of preventing the delivery of humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip and pursuing an excessively harsh response to the Hamas-led Oct. 7 attacks on Israel, according to two of the five officials, all of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the matter.

The Israeli officials, who are worried about the potential fallout from such a case, said they believe that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is among those who might be named in a warrant. It is not clear who might be charged from Hamas or what crimes would be cited.

The Israeli officials did not disclose the nature of the information that led them to be concerned about potential I.C.C. action, and the court did not comment on the matter. ....

This might be a good demonstration of how useless the ICC is and a clear demonstration that without a police force courts and justice systems might as well not exist. If you're going to have an ICC you need an IPF, if you're not willing to have an IPF then don't bother with an ICC.

The thing you all should keep in mind that this report is coming from Israel, saying they believe this is the case.   ICC has made no announcements.  Nor will Israel say where they got this idea.

~~~~~~~~~~

Some excellent reporting going on about the situation going on currently on Columbia University campus, the students negotiations with the Board, etc.

That people airily dismiss these as just naive and ignorant students -- on the contrary.  They know their stuff. They are coherent and clear and logical. They also understand the powers -- all the different ones -- which rule their university, and what the university does in all its various interests, of which far more have little or nothing to do with teaching, than those that do.  Which is a enormously more than their detractors know, understand or give a damn.  Did anyone listen to Mike Johnson's address to them?  That guy can't even put two words together much less know what the West Bank is.  

The students' detractors, like so many politicians and others, cannot comprehend the trajectory that turned Israel from being an electoral value or an advantage, into a liability.  These are the people, who have 1) paid no attention the history of Palestinian dispossession since 1947 to the present; 2) who close their eyes and ears to who the people are, who are objecting to this dispossession; 3) who additionally close their eyes and ears to what bibi, likud &co have been doing to Israel itself for three+ decades; 4) the concerted propaganda campaign that insists objection to the mass murder in Gaza is support for Hamas and is an antisemitic expression.

These are the kids that got into Columbia.  Many of them are very smart cookies, just like many are legacy students, like many of them also have very rich daddies.  

Edited by Zorral

US electoral politics on the IP war is for the birds. No one in power or in a position to potentially be in power has a viable solution and I question whether there are many who even want a viable solution. The US doesn't care about Israel for Israel, it cares about Israel for the USA, and they are not the same thing. By extension the same applies to Palestine.

What best serves US interests in the minds of what your political (and military-industrial) leadership see as the US's best interests? I am not convinced that it is a lasting peace that serves their interests, so perhaps don't look for it from that quarter.

Was there some shocking news at the Trump trial yesterday? There was a live broadcast that popped up on Google that I listened to, but because I haven’t been following it closely I didn’t quite understand. Was some admission made?

15 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Was there some shocking news at the Trump trial yesterday? There was a live broadcast that popped up on Google that I listened to, but because I haven’t been following it closely I didn’t quite understand. Was some admission made?

Yesterday was Sunday, the court was not in session.

It's not in session today either, or on Wednesday.  

In the meantime it sure does look as though the Constitutional Crisis that has been hand wrung as potentially coming for so long, is in full action now, thank you Alito and the Corrupt Court of Supremes.

I mean, look at and try to parse this shyte what Justice Alito is saying here -- https://www.thebulwark.com/p/conservative-legal-philosophy-was

- Donald Trump attempted a coup, and failed.
- The criminal justice system is attempting to hold him accountable for this clear violation of the law.
- But doing so might lead to some other president to attempt a coup.
- So if someone attempts a coup they must not be prosecuted.
- Because if you prosecute them, they might attempt another coup.

Alito continues to suggest that barring criminal prosecutions of a former president would be a good thing for democracy.

“If an incumbent who loses a very close, hotly contested election knows” there is “a real possibility after leaving office” that rather than being able to “go off into peaceful retirement,” he may be criminally prosecuted “by a bitter political opponent,” won’t that “lead us into a cycle that destabilizes the functioning of our country as a democracy?” Alito asked."

But by all means lets pearl clutch over the university students as stupid, ignorant and antisemitic for demanding their school and nation stop conduction ethnic cleansing.

Edited by Zorral

• Ran locked this topic