US Politics: The Bully Culprit

DMC

Posted (edited)

Suited officials walking through now, the John Jay Gates into the campus.

BTW, there are 20 to maybe 30 unarmed protesters in Hamilton Hall.  There are hundreds and hundred of NYPD in riot and anti-terrorist gear, who are very excited, and doing their best to arrest everyone they can see.

And by the way, the protest tent city which were about 2-300 people at most, are entirely empty, and entirely surrounded by hundreds of lethally armed cops.  There by the request of the university.

Yet hundreds of cops couldn't be bothered to take out one armed guy killing teachers and students in Uvalde.

Moreover there was no warning from Admin. to the students on campus that the cops were coming.  And they would be locked out, locked in and the further locked out of their residences and student buildings so the students who aren't even protesting are in a bad situation.

It's going to take as long for Columbia to recover from this as from the cops on campus during the Vietnam era.  Parents don't like what they did.

The language of what the protestors are accused to doing is so far beyond what actually was the case is just -- insane.  Like the whole country is insane.

The Columbia U president JUST NOW SENT A MESSAGE TO THE STUDENT BODY: Cops are going to be on campus permanently until May 17th, 2 days post graduation.

Edited by Zorral

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Suited officials walking through now, the John Jay Gates into the campus.

BTW, there are 20 to maybe 30 unarmed protesters in Hamilton Hall.  There are hundreds and hundred of NYPD in riot and anti-terrorist gear, who are very excited, and doing their best to arrest everyone they can see.

And by the way, the protest tent city which were about 2-300 people at most, are entirely empty, and entirely surrounded by hundreds of lethally armed cops.  There by the request of the university.

Yet hundreds of cops couldn't be bothered to take out one armed guy killing teachers and students in Uvalde.

Can you imagine the MSM dealing w/ images and reports like the above, but coming from Iran? Or China? And so many others… And thinking about Iran’s response to the protests b/c of the killing of Mahsa Amini and how the US is responding to these now, well, seems to me the US could get there, to Iran’s level of oppression - if the christofascists manage to take power. Because Iran’s method of dealing with protesters is oppression + repression + religious zealotry. And the US has, like many other countries, its chunk of religious zealots who would, if given the chance, repress protests just like Iran does. 

A low level cop went up to a journalism prof standing inside Pulitzer and asked how he could get off campus.  "Where are the gates?"

Having arrested as many kids as possible, the cops are now looking as though they are leaving, except for those, of course, who will be there for weeks, now.

Over and out for tonight.

Too bad NYU couldn't be bothered with such low tech as a radio station.  But true that -- the action was uptown tonight.

It’s absolutely SHOCKING that killing puppies is a bad look politically.  Who woulda thought?  Think we can move on from Noem.  She’s done.  Interesting thing is, appears MTG’s efforts are similarly..really poor received.  Even by other HFC idiots.

Is there anyone else concerned that the republican party is intent on passing laws tearing up the first amendment? States such as Texas and Florida are trying to criminalize negative criticism of Israel.

I thought conservatives were free speech absolutists?

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/2024/02/05/treading-on-difficult-ground-florida-lawmakers-want-to-define-anti-semitism/

31 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

It's always been pretty clear that their ethos has been "free speech for me and not for thee." They're just a lot more forthright about it these days.

Yes.  The party of books bans cannot accurately claim the mantle of free speech.

Like it's pretty hard to claim a reverence for life and family by demanding women continue with toxic pregnancies, that will at best impair her ability to conceive and / or live a healthy life, and can and will kill her.

9 hours ago, Dawn Vibration said:

At UCLA. Violent Pro Israel supporters attacking protesters
https://x.com/joeyneverjoe/status/1785560399716417718

Doncha know this is not pro Israel violence but 'counter protesters'?  The NYT sez so!

Also there were students dragged off last night City College -- but as a working class student institution, nobody seems to care -- they too are Black, Muslim, white, Jewish, but nobody in the media seems to care.  Though the media cares that NYU has boarded up all the public spaces among its buildings down here.  Not a campus per se like Columbia's but there were small open spaces with benches, tables and flowers and so on, which were nice for coffee, reading, chatting.  It is the ugliest space in NYC right now, one may well think.  I do, but then I have to be in it nearly every frackin' day.

Can someone explain to me how the bad decisions possibly made by uni presidents and the sometimes violent overreaction of law enforcement in these protests doesn’t hurt Biden? Ya know, threats to democracy, authoritarians all around, individual rights, human rights, yadda yadda yadda. And not a peep about it at all… in NY it looks even worse for democrats given the dem trifecta. 
Young people weren’t too happy before, then TikTok, and now this. I don’t know but it doesn’t look good from where I’m looking. 

Trump threatens to prosecute Bidens if he’s re-elected unless he gets immunity
Time magazine called the ex-president’s plans ‘an imperial presidency that would reshape America and its role in the world’

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/30/trump-second-term-abortion-immigration

Asked whether he intends to “go after” the Bidens should he gain a second term in the White House, Trump replied: “It depends what happens with the supreme court.”

If the nine justices on the top court – three of whom were appointed by Trump – fail to award him immunity from prosecution, Trump said, “then Biden I am sure will be prosecuted for all of his crimes, because he’s committed many crimes”.

40 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Can someone explain to me how the bad decisions possibly made by uni presidents and the sometimes violent overreaction of law enforcement in these protests doesn’t hurt Biden? Ya know, threats to democracy, authoritarians all around, individual rights, human rights, yadda yadda yadda. And not a peep about it at all… in NY it looks even worse for democrats given the dem trifecta. 
Young people weren’t too happy before, then TikTok, and now this. I don’t know but it doesn’t look good from where I’m looking. 

It does hurt him. I know the whole spiel will be about how that age demographic doesn't vote much, but this does nothing to draw anyone out and instead could make them hate him more. All this does is push the country further into a far right hell scape.

3 minutes ago, Dawn Vibration said:

It does hurt him. I know the whole spiel will be about how that age demographic doesn't vote much, but this does nothing to draw anyone out and instead could make them hate him more. All this does is push the country further into a far right hell scape.

That’s my impression as well but wanted an insider’s perspective. 

47 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

It probably does hurt Biden some. But it would likely hurt him worse to come out against the crackdowns. Lots of pro-Israel suburbanites out there, and they vote at much higher rates than young people. Though on the other hand, they vote Democratic at lower rates.

Electorally, Biden doesn't have any great options here. This is a wedge issue for Democrats.

2 hours ago, The Big Stink said:

I thought conservatives were free speech absolutists?

OH NO, not the HYPOCRISY

I'm sure that'll make them hurt, pointing out that they're HYPOCRITS
OOOOOOH NOOOOOOO

You fail to understand; their viewpoint is 100% consistent. They wish to have the absolute right to say whatever they want and suffer absolutely no ill effect in any part of their life. They want others to not be able to say anything that they don't like and be able to punish them for this as much as they possibly can. What matters is who is saying it, not what is being said. 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Can someone explain to me how the bad decisions possibly made by uni presidents and the sometimes violent overreaction of law enforcement in these protests doesn’t hurt Biden? 

It obviously hurts him. And it should. His administration made a horrible decision early on in the extermination of Gaza as it was known. As much as I dread a Trump presidency Biden deserves the loss that is coming.

16 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Can you imagine the MSM dealing w/ images and reports like the above, but coming from Iran? Or China? And so many others… And thinking about Iran’s response to the protests b/c of the killing of Mahsa Amini and how the US is responding to these now, well, seems to me the US could get there, to Iran’s level of oppression - if the christofascists manage to take power. Because Iran’s method of dealing with protesters is oppression + repression + religious zealotry. And the US has, like many other countries, its chunk of religious zealots who would, if given the chance, repress protests just like Iran does. 

Gee, what’s the death toll at Columbia?

• Ran locked this topic