Who is Adonis reborn?

Turinqui-Calima

I find it hard to understand. Is this a societal thing pushed upon us by magazines? Do more people than we'd like to admit a little bit of Humbert Humbert in them? (I've listened to plenty of male friends say inappropriate things about 16yr old girls. Do women talk like this?) Are women intimidated by men who are outwardly more powerful than them? (I know, for instance, that I am, as a male. I would not want to be in a relationship with someone who could pick me up and throw me if they so desired.)

This shit is interesting to me.

I don't know any women who have admitted attraction to teenage guys except, well, the teenagers I know. I'm certainly not attracted to them; shit, those are my students. I have an 18 or 19-year-old student who has been flirting with me all semester and I'm like......no way dude, eek, you're a kid!

But similarly, the thing about men who are outwardly powerful? I have to admit that I find guys who look really strong to be a little intimidating, and that I don't go for very muscular or tall guys. But I think part of that is that, well, I'm most attracted to people who are similar to me on various scales. Not exactly the same, or else I'd date women, but if people were ranked on a gender scale of -10 to 10, where -10 is the most feminine, 10 is the most masculine, and 0 were androgynous, I would rank myself about a -3 on that scale and am attracted to people who are around the same order of magnitude on the other side. One of my friends is further away from the center on both counts; she would probably rank somewhere around a -7 or -8 and is attracted to much more masculine guys, like a 7 or 8 on the manly man side. I'm sure that doesn't hold up for everyone.

I prefer muscle tone and definition, but not necessarily mass. I think body builders are unattractive - it looks like the muscles get in their way. There's no hard and fast rule, but a lot of it has to do with attitude. Most of the guys I've met in real life who have a lot of muscle mass are, well, fuckheads who are too impressed with themselves by half. Not all, but enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth. There is a fine line between keeping yourself in good shape and bulking up - it's a judgement call each time.

There is also a difference with someone who is good looking and knows it, and someone who is good looking and expects people to recognize it. I don't know if I can explain it, or if I even know what that line is. The former can be charming and get away with it, but the later is most likely an irredeemable dick. And they probably tan too.

Hair and voice change are controlled mostly by test. Regardless, you are right that muscularity is not the only trait of masculinity. It is certainly the overwhelmingly obvious one at first glance.

I am simply correlating the female preference for a smaller musculature in males with the male preference for a lack of breasts and hips in females.

I find it hard to understand. Is this a societal thing pushed upon us by magazines? Do more people than we'd like to admit a little bit of Humbert Humbert in them? (I've listened to plenty of male friends say inappropriate things about 16yr old girls. Do women talk like this?) Are women intimidated by men who are outwardly more powerful than them? (I know, for instance, that I am, as a male. I would not want to be in a relationship with someone who could pick me up and throw me if they so desired.)

This shit is interesting to me.

Some women may be intimidated by big guys, but other women like strong men and are actually biologically programmed to do so through evolution. Strength = protection, and I've had many women tell me how "safe" they feel in my arms. So ya, muscles and strength can be a very attractive quality to women, but it's just one part of the package. And too much of one part of the package can lead to utter ridiculousness. Muscles are nice, but too much muscle is a turnoff. Facial hair can be nice, but too much facial hair can be a turnoff. It's the same way with women. Breasts are nice, but at some point they're just too big that they look silly. At some point a "round ass" just becomes a "fat" ass. At some point long beautiful hair becomes "get a fucking haircut", and so on. Of course these lines are drawn up differently for each individual, but there is always a line that when crossed destroys any or all sexual appeal.

ETA: Really, what this thread is proving to me is that LOST has amassed the greatest multicultural cast of hot men ever.

This is actually the greatest achievement of the show. On that note, Daniel Dae Kim.

I prefer muscle tone and definition, but not necessarily mass. I think body builders are unattractive - it looks like the muscles get in their way.

I'm this way, I'm pretty turned off by the body builder look. And yeah, I too am stereotypically female (I guess) in that I find personality fairly important to attractiveness. When it comes to famous people, though, it's all about projected personality which you know isn't necessarily real.

ETA: Ashmit Patel is also acceptable.

Well Bodybuilders aren't actually as strong as Strong-men. They're trying to make themselves look impressive, not actually lift massive tons of weight.

This chart I found on TV-tropes explains it all:

http://coelasquid.deviantart.com/art/Abdomination-How-to-draw-beef-132538271

Pro bodybuilders are incredibly strong. They may not be pro powerlifter strong, but to you and me, the difference is inconsequential.

Can we please stay on topic? In fact, I'm going to start a topic for this stuff...

I'll second Takeshi Kaneshiro, was going to mention him after Mya brought up some good selections. I completely understand the appeal of Ralph Fiennes (whom Linda .... adores); it's in the eyes and the manner (being a brilliant actor doesn't hurt). I would not shed many tears if I woke up looking like George Clooney (and the tears would just be because I'd suddenly look 50 ...) (Linda would be very sad, though; not a fan).

And it's true: Ian Somerhalder is a beautiful man. "Manpretty" sort of just seems silly, like you're afraid to call it as you see it.

You know, I usually don't like the look of Asian guys, but this Takeshi guy... Daaaaamn. So yummy.

Also agree with Holloway, Ackles, Somerhalder fans, these are pretty as hell. Shame I hate Supernatural this much :)

Never liked Brad Pitt. Well, maybe only way back in Thelma & Louise. And while Depp is a good actor, there is something off-putting in him looks-wise.

I'd like to thank Balefont for kicking off the Takeshi Kaneshiro love. :)

Ewan McGregor looks like he'd be fun, but less so in the Trainspotting pictures which were all I could quickly find of him.

As someone said upthread, I too find myself more drawn to the character than the actor playing him. For instance, Jim Sturgess's Jude in Across the Universe was lovely, but I don't know how interested I'd be in him in other roles. Call me a sucker for Beatles songs, maybe.

I'd like to thank Balefont for kicking off the Takeshi Kaneshiro love. :)

Ewan McGregor looks like he'd be fun, but less so in the Trainspotting pictures which were all I could quickly find of him.

As someone said upthread, I too find myself more drawn to the character than the actor playing him. For instance, Jim Sturgess's Jude in Across the Universe was lovely, but I don't know how interested I'd be in him in other roles. Call me a sucker for Beatles songs, maybe.

I love Ewan Mcgregor in Moulin Rouge, but I also love him in this picture.

And *high fives* Ran for having good taste in men. ;)

Stego,

Started a new thread you may be interested in.

Imagica,

Find House of Flying Daggers. Beautiful movie from start to finish. Kaneshiro's the male lead, and the equally-beautiful Zhang Ziyi is the female lead. More of a romance story, in some ways, than a number of other wuxia films of the last decade.

Archived