Community - Season 2, thread 2 [SPOILERS]

Brude

But wouldn't they have filmed a lot of this ages ago?

Yeah, they would have. Relic's answer was the correct one.

What do they put on TV in the US during this time? Reruns?

Reruns, holiday specials, old holiday films, new holiday made for tv movies, just generally crap.

OK episode. I don't watch Glee, so I can't revel in mocking it. Britta's finale was funny, but an episode full of musical numbers isn't enjoyable, even it it is done ironically. Troy is so funny, but under-used here.

Annie's "sexy" song was a lot less sexy than it could/should have been even before she crossed over into lampooning. It felt like they did not know how far they should/could take it and the result felt a little unsure of itself.

I have to confess that I'm still baffled my the breaks in TV programming here. The networks have a huge potential audience over the holidays, but they spurn it with re-runs and other shit. I know that actors and crew want holidays, but they get months off during the summer, and it's not actually necessary to produce a single episode each week. It's ok to have a time lag between production and airing. It's not as if Community worked in any references to Occupy Wall Street from Britta (which was a glaring omission) so it's not they are taking advantage of the current just-in-time production.

All I have to say is, "Boop de boop be-boop boop sex."

Annie's song was more funny because of her video for "Santa Baby" last year.

And Pita Enigma, don't you go hatin' on Community Christmas episodes. The first season gave us the dancers from Breakin', Merry Happy, Shirley's intolerance, and finally Shirley administering a beatdown. Last season we had pteranosaurs and John Oliver.

I liked this episode. I'm always down for making fun of Glee. ("How is the piano still playing?") And the brainwashing aspect was funny. I loved how they got the different people involved--sex appeal for Jeff, generational pride for Pierce, Jesus love for Shirley...it worked for me!

I thought it was way better than the claymation episode.

ETA: http://xkcd.com/988/ This made me think of last week's Community!

• 4 weeks later...

All they really need to do is push it back a half hour, because fuck me if CBS's new show after The Big Bang Theory doesn't look like the worst thing ever aired on television. How many episodes will this festering turd last? Unfortunately, it will probably be on the air long after Community is gone :bang:

• 1 month later...

Potentially good news on the Community front!

Not only is it back on March 15 but the hiatus might have actually improved it's chances of renewal

the entire NBC schedule is in free fall. In fact, two weeks ago, only three scripted shows on the network — “The Office,” “Smash,” and “Law and Order: SVU” — scored better than a 1.7 rating ratings among the 18-49 demo. What was “Community’s” demo rating before it went on hiatus? A 1.61. A 1.6 is the median rating for NBC scripted shows right now.

So, while Community was on hiatus, NBC has been doing so horribly that the show's once cancel-worthy numbers are acceptable. Let's hope they hit the last half of this season out of the park!

A number of articles I've read said that in order to make it a viable product for syndication sale, they need to get a fourth and maybe even fifth season in. Either way, good news for us.

Bad news for NBC as a whole though. WTF is going on at that network?

So, while Community was on hiatus, NBC has been doing so horribly that the show's once cancel-worthy numbers are acceptable. Let's hope they hit the last half of this season out of the park!

It's been like that for years at NBC. How else do you think Chuck got five seasons... it's just that the bar keeps getting lower, and lower, and lower. They are seriously in trouble.

A number of articles I've read said that in order to make it a viable product for syndication sale, they need to get a fourth and maybe even fifth season in. Either way, good news for us.

Bad news for NBC as a whole though. WTF is going on at that network?

I'm really excited about Awake... but I'm also sure they're going to fuck it up like they did Journeyman.

ETA: Oh, and the re-premier is up angainst the first day of March Madness. That's not good.

Great news for geeks and Community but man, didn't NBC used to be like, the king of network television at one point?

Or am I misremembering things again?

No, they were the undisputed king for a very long time. Survivor actually was what lead to their eventual downfall. Friends was owning Thursday nights, but Survivor started up stealing viewers in a big way, and because Americans are lazy as fuck they would leave their tv turned to CBS so they started watching CSI too, the came American Idol on Fox and the rest is history.

Archived