Community - Season 2, thread 2 [SPOILERS]

Brude

I actually thought it was one of the better 'normal' episodes they've done. Which is great considering the ratings bump, because one of the more high concept episodes might have turned new viewers off, I think. And I'm especially interested in the idea, barely hinted at in this ep, that Troy and Abed's wonderfully weird friendship might also be somewhat damaging and unhealthy for both of them.

I think that's going to be a theme of the Season - Troy growing up and Abed not - and how each of them might hinder the other in being who they are. I like Troy/Abed focused eps, so I'll probably be happy (particularly because such eps usually involve Annie - speaking of, there must be something in her contract about no references to Mad Men, because I thought for certain they were going to make her the stand-in for Elizabeth Moss, which would have been awesome, in this last ep).

the episode was almost worth it for the "we have both michael jacksons" line

That was an AWESOME line.

They were really swinging for the fences with the Seacrest bit, heh.

Well, you know, if you are a regular viewer of the Soup (which I am), it's a running joke there, so it was only a matter of time. . . .

Seemed to be more of the reliance on weird cartoony aspects that we saw in the last episode, which is a bit off-putting. Where is that coming from?

yeah, strange, and not in a good way. none of the thought bubbles hit for me, nor did the heart joke last week. really hope that doesn't continue

I thought this episode was much better and had a few great jokes -- the dean paralyzed by the hotness of Jeff in aviator sunglasses and both Michael Jacksons were the highlights. Pierce was quietly brilliant.

The cartoonish stuff is not working.

They seem to making Britta a more sympathetic character in the last couple of episodes after a long stretch as an annoying caricature.

I don't think they played Abed well. They ever so slightly rescued it with his closing inner dialogue but not quite. Abed's oddness is better material when he's aware and in fact one step ahead of the others, like his film class project. They can't suddenly turn him into an oblivious Rainman.

I liked it. I always like when they balance the funny aspect with the serious aspect--like, yeah, Abed is awesome, but he's also pretty fucked up

Me too, though I agree with Isk that Abed was a tiny bit off there, until the the final fourth wall 'inacessible and dark' bit. (I'm not a fan of the cartoons either, but I liked the Holodeck bit.) I thought Troy was really good thought - being serious, on the floor of the blanket fort. Aww. (Also, Danny Glover is totally hot when acting all serious. I've said that before, right?)

Am I the only one who really enjoyed Chang as well? He can be over the top for me, but this time it hit the right note of pathetic derangement, and I always like the episodes when something normal gets kind of surreal, as with Changs tween army.

And I liked Shriley as Oprah.

She's not going to make some man very happy some day. I liked the focus on Shirley as well, and Pierce (over his fathers grave...)

Urgh Shirley is the worst character in the show by far. I wish they would kill her off.

Latest episode was decent. The Dean is gold once again.

Finally caught up with this one and after watching it twice, I can't tell if this episode was horrible or great. The over-the-top cartoonishness felt a little like every Simpsons episode since the show got awful. I don't need thought bubbles or such transparent and overly cloying film references to enjoy Community. That said, it was also ridiculously funny at times, for the reasons y'all already mentioned - the two Michael Jacksons, the Dean's spontaneous orgasm at Jeff in aviators, the line about Annie being able to portray Anne Hathaway just needing "a few more teeth", Britta's "Oh God no!" scream when hulk Jeff starts making out with Oprah Shirley. Infact Britta was just awesome all episode long - is it weird I thought she was the better Michael Jackson than Troy? I'm not sure how an episode can be less self-assured in its usually great timing and yet still so hilarious in spots.

Weirdly, I also have the same mixed feelings about the only other episode since the show came back even though it was kind of the opposite. It felt like a painfully weak Community episode, even a show that lost some of its verve (this episode probably had too much verve), but despite all that it had some awesome moments in its own right - "someone tell Britta what an analogy is" "I know what it is, it's a thought with another thought's hat on", "just nut up and die alone", "that was an...odd dot to connect", "it's almost too conceptual to follow..but I loved it". I also liked Troy and Abed's meta commentary in their attempt to be normal reflecting the show's attempt to be sitcom normal for an episode...but how both become offputting in the process. Fuck and Britta was great in this one too. As she gets better the show gets more uneven - she really is the worst.

Anyway, it's been like this all season. Great moments mixed in with a whole lot of beats that feel off. It's not hitting on all cylinders, but those that are still working are fucking hilarious IMO.

So I was checking the ratings for the last episode and it seems to be back where it was before the hiatus. Does this mean the show is still dead? They were all sounding pretty excited for the ratings when it returned.

Maybe I should buy some more season box sets to hand out to friends to see if that helps? That said, I do feel like the show is missing some of its spark - I'd rather it went out on some kind of meta-mad bang like "arrested development" did than have a bad season 4.

Well, NBC ratings as a whole have been so piss poor that Community's once-terrible ratings are now actually mediocre, which alone increases it's chances of renewal since the budget isn't huge and there are no major starts commanding massive salaries.

So, the blatant product placement will probably annoy people, but I loved everything about that storyline. The 1984 homage, Britta's kinky sex acts, Pierce drinking pen ink, the Subway rep getting a boner at the end and noone quite getting why he wanted someone to grab his coat. The Troy/Abed stuff felt like a bit of a rehash, but worth it for John Goodman. He's ... going through some stuff right now. Jeff's storyline was probably the weakest, but not egregiously so, and I definitely laughed when he'd forgotten who Kim was by the end of the episode.

I thought they found a way to "have their cake and eat it too" with the product placement so that it was not annoying, though they have had "acceptable" prouct placement before, see the KFC spaceship episode. Corpo-Humanization.

The Jeff plot did feel like it was there just to give Jeff and Annie something to do, but it was in character and not distracting.

"Top notch whoresmanship. Sorry, whoreswomanship."

"Pop pop, captain"

At one point I thought Jeff and Kim were playing some kind of prank on Annie...hoping that's still the case in some weird plot rehash of the Conspiracy Theories episode. Loved the Britta plotline, wasn't sold on Troy and Abed at war, it felt a bit contrived.

ST

Wow, did you know Greendale students are technically in the Army Reserves?

I thought this one got back a lot of oomph that was missing from the previous two. Laughed several times, despite watching it alone in my cave-like apartment. Honestly, I didn't even notice the product-placement, it was so obvious that it just went over my head?

Archived