LonCon 3 2014

Jealous. I'd love to taste that beer.

It's awesome. One of our favorites from our trip to the UK last summer, and that included a day at the Great British Beer Fest.

and the party mavens for LonCon3 are top-quality human beings

Why thank you.

I don't think I've mentioned it on the board before but I am part of the party maven team and will be working hard to make sure the parties run smoothly for everyone.

Happy to advise you on the London (and UK) breweries if you contact me and let me know what your desires/requirements are.

I would like to visit them all :D

Xray, or whomever is in charge of the funding situation: does it look like we will need money ahead of time or just collect in person at the con?

Ok, well, if anyone does actually want to visit some London breweries I can help with that too. PM me.

would it be feasible to go in a small group of con members to any breweries or are they all too far flung and/or not capable of accommodating groups?

eta: assuming there is any interest in such an endeavor

I would definitely appreciate a brewery tour!

Keeping my eyes peeled for the "volunteer to help" thread. You know you can count on me to pitch in.

Not sure if I'll have a mobile during the con or not. It's kinda pricey to add an intl plan to my iphone, and I'm not sure if I want to bother with a local burner phone. Anyone have suggestions? (Or if this has already been discussed pls point me in that direction) thx!

Not sure if I'll have a mobile during the con or not. It's kinda pricey to add an intl plan to my iphone, and I'm not sure if I want to bother with a local burner phone. Anyone have suggestions? (Or if this has already been discussed pls point me in that direction) thx!

I thought about that too. The only alternative I came up with was Skype/Viber (or a similar app) and wi-fi. The convention center has wi-fi everywhere (I think) and most hotels probably do, too.

Edit: Oh, and about that volunteer thing, I'm happy to help, too. :)

Due to a last minute family holiday to Lanzerote in September (mother, sister, aunt and nephew), I won't be able to afford worldcon this year :(

I'm selling my adult membership for £100. I've not used the Hugo vote. If anyone's interested let me know.

I would like to visit them all :D

Xray, or whomever is in charge of the funding situation: does it look like we will need money ahead of time or just collect in person at the con?

In person should be OK. But I will keep y'all up to date if that changes significantly.

It is easy-peasy to buy a UK sim card, provided that your phone is unlocked.

I would definitely appreciate a brewery tour!

Keeping my eyes peeled for the "volunteer to help" thread. You know you can count on me to pitch in.

As X-ray said, you can get a UK sim card and top it up with some money. They usually do deals too - free texts, some internet, etc. I could have a look for you?

First time I've ever done Hugo Voting, so would like to make sure I'm on the right wave-length as per 'No Award.'

If for example we have:

Story A

Story B

Story C

Story D

Story E

I would use the 1 - 5 to rank them in order of preference, yes? So:

Story A - 1

Story B - 2

Story C - 3

Story D - 4

Story E - 5

For example. But, if I felt that only Story A and Story B were worthy of being potentially awarded the Hugo would I do it:

Story A - 1

Story B - 2

No Award - 3

Meaning that everything else would be classified 'No Award'? And if so, do I have to classify the other stories, such as:

Story A - 1

Story B - 2

No Award - 3

Story C - 4

Story D - 5

Story E - 6

Or do I just leave the ranking at the 'No Award' bit?

Samantha - you can list as many or as few preferences for each category as you like. So, for example, if you only think one story is worthy of winning, you can just vote for that, number it 1 and leave it there.

But if you do that, and your favoured story doesn't win, your vote will be disregarded after that. The same is true if you list two or three or even four preferences: when your preferences run out, your vote stops being counted.

The reason this matters is that to win, a story has to get 50%+1 of the valid votes. If nobody gets that in the first round, you eliminate the lowest-scoring nominee. Votes for that nominee are now redistributed according to their second preference. If a vote for that story doesn't have a second preference, it's no longer a valid vote and doesn't count towards the 50%+1 requirement.

Example: suppose there are 4000 votes in a category. You have to get 2001 to win. Assume nobody gets that and you go to a second round. If 200 of the votes for the lowest-scoring candidate have no second preference, you now need 1901 to win. Each round, as voters effectively drop out, the barrier gets lower.

You might really dislike two stories, and rank them both below No Award. In this case, you'd be saying 'I don't think either of these should win, but if one of them has to, I'd rather it was this one'. This is important because, human nature being what it is, No Award rarely wins. Most people prefer to vote for a nominee.

Balancing that out, the Hugos do a slightly unusual thing called the 'No Award test'. This means that there have to be more ballots ranking the winner higher than No Award than the other way around. If you don't list No Award at all, but do list the nominee (even if it's fifth!) then it counts towards the winner passing that test. So, again, listing 'No Award' at some point helps to prevent stories you consider unworthy from getting the award.

Mormont - thanks very much. Now why couldn't they explain it like that on the ballot page? I don't intend to throw No Awards out left right and centre, but I've come across a couple of works that have left me perplexed as to how the hell they got voted in the first place (well, either that or I'm a total and utter pleb!) and wanted to make sure I had the whole No Award thing right. I was almost there. I'll go have a re-read of the two works in question and figure out some rankings for them under the No Award, rather than leave them blank. :D Thanks once again.

Linda and I have finally figured out how to sort out our schedules, so we're planning on attending provided nothing comes up in the run up to it *knock on wood*). Will be there from early afternoon of the 13th to late afternoon the 18th, staying at the Ramada.

Looking forward to seeing you all!

Archived