Viking Round Deux

Lord Syv Aldlark

Yes and no. Rollo of Normandy was born in 846 and I believe in the show we're in 798, or thereabouts. If I thought they were making any attempt for historical accuracy I'd agree that this Rollo could not be Rollo of Normandy. However, I don't think they care much about accuracy. I think they're trying to mash a number of characters from every aspect of the Viking age into a single story. And that's just fine by me!

And Ragnar Lodbrok supposedly laid siege to Paris in 845, while the raid on Lindisfarne took place in 793. So they are already playing fast and loose with the historical accuracy, which means that this Rollo will probably turn out to be that Rollo.

While I love the show I felt a litte bit disappointed with the new episode. The brother's war ended too fast. Can't believe Rollo just gave up like that. I didn't like how Ragnar just stepped in between Borg & Horik and without any effort convinced them to bury the hatchet. On the other hand I'm happy the whole conflict was solved because I'm more interested in seeing the pillage in England. I'm so sad that Arne died. He was one of my fav background Vikings. :crying:

Also, I feel like they totally ignored Athelstan in this episode. I really wish he and Ragnar finally talked about what had happened in Uppsala and why Ragnar acted this way... I really wish Athelstan said a word to Bjorn & Lagertha before they left.

The next episode looks better though. Back to good, old pillaging. Can't wait to see King Ecbert & Ragnar taking a bath and crazy!Athelstan in the battle mode. :drool:

Maybe it did end too fast, but I liked the fact that there was a curveball. Threw me off guard and that's what I liked about this episode.

Yes and no. Rollo of Normandy was born in 846 and I believe in the show we're in 798, or thereabouts. If I thought they were making any attempt for historical accuracy I'd agree that this Rollo could not be Rollo of Normandy. However, I don't think they care much about accuracy. I think they're trying to mash a number of characters from every aspect of the Viking age into a single story. And that's just fine by me!

A search on the materials say that's what many scholars think the compilers / writers of the Ragnar saga did too -- combined tales of a variety of historical Viking rulers and heroes into Ragnar. It's doubtful that Ragnar himself existed outside of the fictions about him.

So, in this television series, 'facts' really aren't a consideration -- what matters more are the truths or not of period cultural and political depictions. At least it is for me. (So far I have not confirmed or disaffirmed that these people of this time (late 8th century) were so welcoming of a third into the marital embrace ... nor the cosmetics among men for ornamental rather than sunglare or ceremonial purpose -- not to mention some the hairstyles.)

Wow, that was a cool episode. I thought there would be more build up surrounding the battle. Loved Ragnar's speech about his daughter and I liked Rollo as well. Clive Standen does a bang up job.

And of course there is all the praise for the female cast. They're all great. I was surprised that we didn't get a parlay between Lagertha and Aslaug though. I was sure Aslaug was going to start about prophecy and what not and perhaps convince Lagertha or that there would be an arc where Lagertha tried to get rid of Aslaug pregnancy but I was mistaken.

Bring on next weaks offering :D I need some raiding ASAP.

why because he seems to like playing guys w/ one Eye?

Because he's the best actor out there and could do Euron justice :p

Also because of this and this ;)

i dont know about this battle. everyone kind of stood in a line while rollo stood by himself and took on a series of individual attackers. there were tons of times in that battle where someone could easily have killed rollo.

also, what is horik the king of that he has an army of 20 men?

the battle scenes were one of the strengths of this show last year. that was game-of-thrones weak

So, in this television series, 'facts' really aren't a consideration -- what matters more are the truths or not of period cultural and political depictions. At least it is for me.

id say that what truly matters is how interesting it is dramtically

i dont know about this battle. everyone kind of stood in a line while rollo stood by himself and took on a series of individual attackers. there were tons of times in that battle where someone could easily have killed rollo.

also, what is horik the king of that he has an army of 20 men?

worst shield wall battle in history. Then again quite good for movie/TV standards

"Shield wall!"

Then "Charge!" everyone starts running, shield wall pretty much disintegrates. And it wasn't just Rollo who was kinda off. Jarl Borg had his shield on the right hand, making his place in the wall just as useless.

The Blackwater episode blows anything Vikings has done away imo.

great episode but even there(though not as much as in other places) it seems like not very many people are fighting in the battle. which is what it seemed like here.

worst shield wall battle in history. Then again quite good for movie/TV standards

"Shield wall!"

Then "Charge!" everyone starts running, shield wall pretty much disintegrates. And it wasn't just Rollo who was kinda off. Jarl Borg had his shield on the right hand, making his place in the wall just as useless.

and then everyone kind of stands there shuffling in place moving their arms around clearly not trying to do anything, like in walking dead when a zombie gets in close to a main character and is visibly straining his head away from the other actor

just wasnt choreographed or filmed well, in contrast to most of vikings season one

id say that what truly matters is how interesting it is dramtically

Which is why Vikings is working -- it's dramatically interesting due to these relationships which are personal and which affect the larger milieu, as, example, Ragnar's endless curiosity and intelligence (except when he allows himself to be led by his lower head) about people and places and gods that are not what he grew up with pull him into exploration and destiny. And it all actually mattered, affecting the world in which we ended up living in.

The battles in Vikings involve me in a way that Blackwater etc. have not. Which is odd in a sense, since the spiritual world view of these men is so fatalistic, while in Got everyone is entitled to rule the world. Ha!

On Rollo/Robert I and Ragnar in the series.

It does look like they are conflating the two characters as the Wiki says that Rollos character is loosely based on Duke Rollo.

His back-and-forth between his native religions and Christianity will be a factor in the series as the historical figure apparently had the same issues.

But, the irony is is that Ragnar may not have even existed while his "brothers" line would go on to found the line that would become the Kings of England, so watching Rollo might be more intriguing.

That was one heck of a shield wall battle.

As observed here, they showed a shield wall functioning both defensively and offensively, and doing both sometimes simultaneously.

Athelstan got an arm ring!

OOoooOooo THREAD! *Raids*

But they have stated in interviews this Rollo is based upon that Rollo.

This Rollo is definitely going to be that Rollo. Otherwise he would have died thrice over by now. The amount of liberties taken with the saga(s) is just...yeah. They can make this Rollo work and it looks like hes headed that way anyway.

Which is why Vikings is working -- it's dramatically interesting due to these relationships which are personal and which affect the larger milieu, as, example, Ragnar's endless curiosity and intelligence (except when he allows himself to be led by his lower head) about people and places and gods that are not what he grew up with pull him into exploration and destiny. And it all actually mattered, affecting the world in which we ended up living in.

The battles in Vikings involve me in a way that Blackwater etc. have not. Which is odd in a sense, since the spiritual world view of these men is so fatalistic, while in Got everyone is entitled to rule the world. Ha!

:thumbsup:

The battles in this show seem to have a sense that we are really there whereas the GoT battles are more cinematic. Both are great, but for a show like Vikings, the more personal effect on the battles gives greater impact.

This week's shield wall was awesome. So much shield bash and Athelstan Action. Im so proud of that little fucker! Hes speedy as hell in battle too, he just needs some fine tuning. He is now a thane! \o/

With only a couple of lines, Linus Roache's character is already a more interesting villain than Earl Haraldson and King Aelle.

*scratches head* I think Antagonist would be a better word cuz i have a hard time seeing Egbert as a full on villain despite everything. Hes certainly introduced as a bit of a jerkass but you never know. Athelstan deliberately points out that Egbert and Ragnar have a lot in common.

That was one heck of a shield wall battle.

As observed here, they showed a shield wall functioning both defensively and offensively, and doing both sometimes simultaneously.

Athelstan got an arm ring!

yeah, much better than in the first episode. I do wonder about the Saxons though. Have they forgotten how to use shield walls?

I like that episode more than a previous one. First of all - more of Athelstan! Yay! I don't know which version of him I love more - an innocent monk or a bloodthirsty Viking. I loved the way he spoke that old saxon language.

And Ragnar gave him freedom. Wonder what is he going to do with it,

The battle in the forrest was nice, the new boats were spectacular. I wish we saw more of King Ecbert though, he seems really intriguing.

Speaking of Rollo, he may turn into Christian, whom he technically already is btw. And Siggy...Siggy is like a Viking version of Cersei. I think I like her character more than Lagherta.

Archived