Viking Round Deux

Lord Syv Aldlark

Yeah how did this bozo get to be Jarl anyhow? All the other ones we have seen are a little weird but at least they are brave and proud and are respected by their wives, even Jarl Borgs wife seems fond of him despite his antics with his former wifes skull. This guy is just a limp dick drunk as far as I can see. I guess we have to wait and see if he has any heirs or if this warrior guy sort of steps in, I'm sort of interested to see how all this falls out next episode.

Maybe he killed the previous Jarl, so the others just had to swear fealty to him? That would be my guess.

Anyways, today was a great episode! Definitely didn't see Jarl Borgs fate!

The characterization of Ecbert keeps reminding me of Kay's Last Light of the Sun. It's nothing, I think, drawn from actual historical matter, so it's an interesting coincidence that they're playing with some similar tropes. I wonder if there's any chance that someone's read his work and liked the ideas therein? Similar milieu, in any case.

I kind of like the show allowing the Vikings to have a rather alien code of morality -- it's just natural that vengeance-taking supercedes everything else, including promises of hospitality and so on. Horik is obviously a bit bothered by it, because he'd gotten this notion in his head that Ragnar was such an exceptional man that he could put his feud aside... when in fact he's such an exceptional man that he'll go beyond the bounds of right conduct to bring the feud to a bloody end. Ragnar Lothbrok: hard man for hard times.

Yeah, King Horik- you're the one that goes back on it's deal with Borg and leaving him understandably angry against Ragnar's wishes, and after Borg invades Ragnar's lands and murders many of his people, you want to go back to the original plan and expects everyone to just forget it? Smart move.

Maybe he killed the previous Jarl, so the others just had to swear fealty to him? That would be my guess.

It's more likely he inherited the position. Even Jarl Borg and the Gabriel Byrne one were clearly imposing figures and very good fighters, while this guy is just a pussy.

The characterization of Ecbert keeps reminding me of Kay's Last Light of the Sun. It's nothing, I think, drawn from actual historical matter, so it's an interesting coincidence that they're playing with some similar tropes. I wonder if there's any chance that someone's read his work and liked the ideas therein? Similar milieu, in any case.

I kind of like the show allowing the Vikings to have a rather alien code of morality -- it's just natural that vengeance-taking supercedes everything else, including promises of hospitality and so on. Horik is obviously a bit bothered by it, because he'd gotten this notion in his head that Ragnar was such an exceptional man that he could put his feud aside... when in fact he's such an exceptional man that he'll go beyond the bounds of right conduct to bring the feud to a bloody end. Ragnar Lothbrok: hard man for hard times.

I also like the fact that they add details like the actual reasons for the Viking raids beyond plundering, but that they are suffering as well from a bad winter, poor crops, etc.

With the arrival of Jarl Borg at Ragnar's table, the lines from Hamlet kept running through my ears:

"O villain, villain, smiling, damnèd villain!

My tables! [though it's not actually a table as we understand it he means, right?] —Meet it is I set it down

That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain.

At least I’m sure it may be so in Denmark.."

There were three smiling villains present.

There was also present, it seems, from Siggy's behaviors with Horik, from that same speech of Hamlet's:

"O most pernicious woman!"

So far, only one of them got whacked -- or is going to be -- with the blood eagle now less. That's -- that's a really bad way to die, a very slow way to die. So much for the celebrated laws of hospitality. But then, the guy did invade and conquer and want to kill the whole clan, so what can he expect? Odin and Floki shall surely be pleased.

Right at the top too, we've got the theme of the fathers jealous of their sons. Bjorn, struck by the servant (is she a slave or a bondswoman, or merely a lowly servitor?), the one Aslaugh called Ragnar out about lusting for. We watch Bjorn with -- what is her name: Thera? Thora? ? -- we watch Ragnar watching Bjorn with ?, we see Aslaugh watch Ragnar watch Bjorn with ? It begins.

Despite everything I, at least, did not see Lagertha stabbing in the eye with a table knife, what's his name ? her husband. Or that one of his men would follow up with a beheading. That she was going to do something at some point, for a Shield Maiden can hold in her fury only so long, yes. But it was as explosive an act for us as it was intended to be.

As for King Ecbert and Athelstan, you all are right calling this very interesting. They are both much more sophisticated individuals than most of those among whom they live -- turning out that both of them had been at Charlemagne's court. Immediately I think, "No way the king doesn't know the paintings on his palace walls are by Romans," and sure enough, he does know, and that opens an whole new, interesting window of revelation about both these men.

In various ways this episode centered the women more, including even Jarl Borg's dead first wife!

Edited to say -- They Say Bjorn's crush is a slave girl and her name is Porunn. Bjorn, Bjorn, surely you get it as an aristo born, pretty much -- slaves have no right of refusal. Shame.

This series just stays on the top of its game, thank goodness!

Yes you did. I'm gonna make my own call and say they will make Lagertha their Jarl.

The sneak peek i saw confirms this. Its awesome.

Huuuuh? You know...its not really alien and im curious as to why it seems so. Hospitality is actually quite sacred among the old Norse society. However, vengeance is something thats also very Serious Business. The gods condoned it. Notice how Ragnar and pals waited until Borg was out of the hall and asleep before laying the smackdown. This mirrors how Borg attacked Kattegat. When it was at its most vulnerable. So yeah. Pay back is a bitch.

I also like the fact that they add details like the actual reasons for the Viking raids beyond plundering, but that they are suffering as well from a bad winter, poor crops, etc.

But leik...but leik...those were the reasons why vikings went raiding most of the time! -.O

and her name is Porunn.

I thought it was Thoren. Hmm...my guess is Bjorn frees her.

I still love my Siggy~ She's angry...so very angry and bitter. Shes willing to do anything to get her old life back. Its sad but i cant not root for her. I am upset shes being unfaithful to Rollo but like, i cant really blame her either. Floki, on the other hand, cannot keep a secret and he knows. He sees everything~~

Speaking of Floki, his attitude this week completely confirmed what i was talking about a couple of weeks ago. He outright calls Christianity "our enemy." Cant blame him either. So hes very unenthusiastic about anything concerning Athelstan.

Speaking of Athelstan, his relationship with Ecbert is interesting. Ecbert cannot trust the Catholic church. He is wise in this. He knows all about the Romans and he is hungry to know how the past works for a better future. This would be considered absolute heresy at the time, so hes right to order Athelstan to keep a lid on it.

I was under the impression that Horik arranged this plan knowing that Ragnar would put an end to Borg? Or am I giving him far too much credit? Didn't Siggy (or whatever her name is) tell him that Ragnar is full of surprises?

Was I the only one getting extremely uncomfortable watching Sig with KH son? :ack:

But Bjorn balanced that out with his crush.

And can somebody possibly sum up what the seer said to Jarl in that scene when he comes to him at night? I couldn't understand a word of it (probably need to use CC at this point).

And can somebody possibly sum up what the seer said to Jarl in that scene when he comes to him at night? I couldn't understand a word of it (probably need to use CC at this point).

I didn't catch all of it either but I did catch that the seer said he saw Ragnar with his eagle and then he said that the jarl was the eagle. Then later Ragnar tells the jarl he will "draw" the blood eagle on his back. So, uh, yeah... :ack:

I thought it was interesting when Athelstan makS the point when he sticks up for the beaten wife that in Viking society a free woman would have the law on her side; it parallels Lagertha's situation. I think for sure it foreshadows Lagertha having things decided in her favor.

Anyone else getting a Viking therapy vibe with the Seer scenes? I love the scenes, and seeing these tough men and women reflect on their lives. I'm half expecting to see Tony Soprano licking the seer's hand and walking out right when Ragnar enters the seer's hovel.

And not to disparage Viking dads, but were they as demonstrative as Ragnar the Cuddler?

Ehh given how the Norse saw their offspring, i wouldnt be surprised if Ragnar's cuddliness with his children was a standard. :P

Anyone else getting a Viking therapy vibe with the Seer scenes? I love the scenes, and seeing these tough men and women reflect on their lives. I'm half expecting to see Tony Soprano licking the seer's hand and walking out right when Ragnar enters the seer's hovel.

Har. Seer is probably my third favorite character. Hes really awesome. It makes sense that our cast would go to him for guidance. Its why hes there.

Who is everyone's favorite characters? You guys have a Top Five yet?

Mine is as follows:

1. FLOKI (seriously, he is the best thing)

2. Siggy

3. Seer

4. Lagertha

5. Rollo

Siggy may drop a bit depending on what she does next. Bjorn is creeping up and might replace Rollo. Im digging that girl Bjorn is crushing on too. She seems really cool and even a bit mad. <3

I'm really liking the Wessex King. His scenes with Priest this last episode were really great. And the bath scenes are excellent. Great dialogues.

Floki is always great. I'm a fan of Jarl Borg too. The Seer cracks me up when he gets irritated after being asked too many questions.

1. Athelstan

2. Lagertha

3. Bjorn

Ekbert made a great impression on me in the last episode, so he is coming up somewhere.

I am not much of a fan of Floki, his laughter tends to creep me out a bit.

Archived