Viking Round Deux

Lord Syv Aldlark

Ecbert spared Athelstan's life (probably out of the desire to learn about his enemy), just like Ragnar did when he captured Athelstan, when all around him wanted the monk dead. So yes, they are much alike.

And that will definitely make it more interesting.

Ok the blind guy who tells everyone their future has some kind of technical term (oracle? wise old guy who lives in the cliffs?) does anyone know why everyone licks his hand after they are done asking their question?

Idk, but it's disgusting.

They really did do a great job casting older Bjorn, I had to check and make sure the actors weren't really related. And while I did love his reunion with Ragnar, I felt bad for Lagertha again. Ragnar's super excited to see Bjorn and hugs him and walks off, but I though Lagertha deserved a bit more recognition there. She's just kind of left behind.

Man, I was worried about Athelstan. He should have kept running!

They really did do a great job casting older Bjorn, I had to check and make sure the actors weren't really related. And while I did love his reunion with Ragnar, I felt bad for Lagertha again. Ragnar's super excited to see Bjorn and hugs him and walks off, but I though Lagertha deserved a bit more recognition there. She's just kind of left behind.

I think she got over Ragnar completely and was content just with seeing Bjorn see his father again with no much desire to reestablish any emotional connection to Ragnar herself. I aree it was awkward just watching her stand here, but it was what they could do. And I think she is okay with it too.

I think she got over Ragnar completely and was content just with seeing Bjorn see his father again with no much desire to reestablish any emotional connection to Ragnar herself. I aree it was awkward just watching her stand here, but it was what they could do. And I think she is okay with it too.

I agree, but it remains to be seen if Ragnar has gotten over her.:)

I believe I saw sourpuss giving Lagertha the stink eye in the preview for next week.

I was too tired to do anything else, though so much must be done. The first thing I did when I got home was catch up on the two Vikings episodes I missed. The return of Bjorn and Lagertha, the Lagertha we love, the woman who can plan and see the future in terms of both strategy and objective, and control herself for that objective -- part of which is she's never done anything, obviously, to alienate Bjorn from the admiration and love of his father -- that -- BAM! when the right moment arrives, she's so there. And that right moment means saving Ragnar's a$$. How cool was that?

I was really tired though, and surely I missed, or have even kind of forgotten in the forefront of my mind, many other good parts.

Someone else mentioned the series isn't getting the attention it should. Being gone also means I haven't been writing about it, and judging by the widget numbers, if I write about Vikings, people want to read it. And now I have so much else to write about -- which actually, you know, pays me. But somehow I'll have to catch that up.

Or Aslaug will be sent away and since she is a princess she will come back with her father's army. Who knows, so many enemies to fuck up Ragnar's plans for England.

Or -- in other words it takes many women to make a man successful! :)

On the seer being ritually chosen and mutilated:

I had a distinct suspicion as soon as Yarl Borg (sp?) mentioned that he had burned his poisoner brother alive that his brother had ended up being the seer.

Seeing Yarl Borg and the seer last episode did nothing either way to dispel or advance my suspicion.

On the seer being ritually chosen and mutilated:

I had a distinct suspicion as soon as Yarl Borg (sp?) mentioned that he had burned his poisoner brother alive that his brother had ended up being the seer.

Seeing Yarl Borg and the seer last episode did nothing either way to dispel or advance my suspicion.

Jarl. It's a title.

Whatever happens in the short run with reunion of Bjorn and his father, Bjorn has proven his love and loyalty to Lagertha, and she knows that.

Recall how often Ragnar has spoke of the jealousy of fathers for their sons' reputation and growing power, as their own falters with age ....

Lagertha keeps proving herself a wise woman, so Ragar's lack of publicly expressed gratitude will be filed away as more information. Lagertha surely knows how Aslaug would react to Ragnar showing her much honor in public. And Ragnar, perhaps, learned a lesson from Lagertha's reaction to the sudden appearance of Aslaug in their lives.

All very interesting.

They stopped putting that deaths head eye liner all over her face, so Siggy is a lot more attractive -- at least some of us thinks so!

That excessive cosmetic effect evidently was supposed to indicate her high status. She's more natural, and thus more lovely, without the artifice.

But then again, Siggy was a bitchy hoe-bag for the first handful of episodes and she turned out all-right, so there's hope yet.

No wai. She was always great. She just...

She turned out more than all right, she turned out awesome.

This. Siggy forever! :commie:

I think the other thing that drew me back into Ragnar was how he went absolutely pouty when Athelstan refused to go back with him. <_<

I honestly thought he was going to break down and cry for a second.

Ragnar was butthurt.

Why? Cuz he took Athelstan in. He trusted Athelstan with his own family to watch over them. He allowed Athelstan freedoms, no slave would have gotten otherwise. And eventually freed Athelstan and viewed him as an equal. This is Serious Business. So Athelstan not wanting to return to save the family he once watched over, and aid the man who gave him a second chance was just really a huge blow to the dick for Ragnar. But seeing how Athelstan is a free man now, Ragnar cant force him to come and it breaks his heart.

Ok the blind guy who tells everyone their future has some kind of technical term (oracle? wise old guy who lives in the cliffs?) does anyone know why everyone licks his hand after they are done asking their question?

You know, ive forgotten. *sigh* Like there is a ritualistic reason but i totally am spacing on what it is...

I still can't understand why Ragnar went for princess high and mighty over Lagatha (sp?). Well I guess the ability to have lots of babies is a pretty good reason in the context of that society. But still, Lagatha FTW. I suppose he genuinely believed he could have it both ways.

And I always thought there was a strength of character that saw Siggy stick by Rollo even when he was at his lowest. Though I do think she pushed him in the wrong direction (to betray Ragnar) and contributed to him becoming a rather pathetic self-lothing creature. Perhaps she now realises that she loves Rollo more than she loves the idea of regaining her former status. But I'm still suspicious that she's looking for another opportunity to grab power.

Obviously Athestan was very religiously conflicted, and he really knew where his heart was. Whether he now regrets having been captured and crucified as an apostate, or whether he feels he's paying pennance and purifying his soul for denying Jesus remains to be seen. Obviously the king sees strategic value in having someone who knows the vikings intimately and I can see him rising in the ranks if he truly repents and returns to the English and Christian fold.

In Season 1 I expected him to end up being the one who Christianises the Vikings, and maybe some way down the track the series will take us there. When did Christianity start to take root in Scandinavian society?

Archived