Mark Gatiss on Game of Thrones

Westeros

He gave an interview at SDCC with Access Hollywood where he confirmed the following:

1. He's already done filming (bearing in mind filming started July 9th and it's now July 18th)

2. He was surprised that news of his casting was leaked (seems to rule out his inclusion in a SDCC new character intro

Just noticed he was done recently.

Gee....

Unless someone knows differently the only other cast member who was on set recently was Carice van Houten , who left that message.

So were they shooting the Melisandre-Stannis-(Davos?) travels to the Wall, recently.

A story not in the books, I think.

Heard only that Kristian Nairn (?) had seen the teleplays (a set of teleplays) , but he didn't say if he was on set yet.

Is that a clue?

He gave an interview at SDCC with Access Hollywood where he confirmed the following:

1. He's already done filming (bearing in mind filming started July 9th and it's now July 18th)

I thought this at first, but he said in an interview with accesshollywood.com that he had a few months free to film his role as Martin Freeman was working on The Hobbit, so there was no Sherlock production going on. What he means by that is confusing...they've supposedly only been filming since July 8th but Gatiss claims they've been filming his role for a few months? Did they by any chance film his slot earlier as an exception because of his busy schedule coming up?

I thought this at first, but he said in an interview with accesshollywood.com that he had a few months free to film his role as Martin Freeman was working on The Hobbit, so there was no Sherlock production going on. What he means by that is confusing...they've supposedly only been filming since July 8th but Gatiss claims they've been filming his role for a few months? Did they by any chance film his slot earlier as an exception because of his busy schedule coming up?

I don't know, but he tweeted his trip to Belfast, and it happened after July 8th, so...

2. He was surprised that news of his casting was leaked (seems to rule out his inclusion in a SDCC new character intro video like we had last year, although it seems like we won't get a SDCC new character intro video at all this year)

3. Of his role: "It does involve hair" (when asked whether some crazy-coloured wigs were involved, he replied "We'll see, we'll see")

The hair comment seems to rule out the more physically conventional possibilities floated: Mace Tyrell, recast Kevan Lannister, Randyll Tarly, Bowen Marsh, etc.

Well, Bloodraven does have hair down to the floor, and if Gatiss' filming is already done, it's quite likely he only has one or two scenes (maybe in 4x10 to set up Season 5).

Could also be Damphair, of course.

Wouldn't Damphair be another recast? He wasn't named in the show but I was under the impression the person who blessed Theon in S2 was supposed to be Damphair.

Martin Freeman was busy for a few months so Gatiss was free for those few months. Doesn`t mean he was necessarily working for them all, just that he was available for work.

I hope it's not Mace Tyrell, but they've deviated from book descriptions quite a bit before, so maybe it could work.

I like these Tarly ideas. I didn't think of that

Wouldn't Damphair be another recast? He wasn't named in the show but I was under the impression the person who blessed Theon in S2 was supposed to be Damphair.

There was a character that could have become Damphair, but as far as show-only viewers are concerned, it was just some priest or elder figure. There were no connections made to Theon's family.

If they wanted to bring the same guy back, they could certainly retcon it, but thus far there's no reason to assume that particular priest was anyone special.

If they wanted to bring the same guy back, they could certainly retcon it, but thus far there's no reason to assume that particular priest was anyone special.

Somebody in HBO confirmed the guy in S2 wasn't Damphair, which sounds like the producers were leaving their options open about introducing him later. Right now, I think we can only assume that Euron will appear eventually.

Martin Freeman was busy for a few months so Gatiss was free for those few months. Doesn`t mean he was necessarily working for them all, just that he was available for work.

Very true.

Somebody in HBO confirmed the guy in S2 wasn't Damphair, which sounds like the producers were leaving their options open about introducing him later. Right now, I think we can only assume that Euron will appear eventually.

As much as I love all the different types of religion in this universe, I wouldn't be too upset if they didn't include Damphair

True actually. It threw me off when he mentioned the free months he had. Was quite suggestive

He's an actor more suited for nobility, so I doubt it'll be the Magnar or Damphair.

I think he would be wasted as Kevan, might do a good Mace but the best role would be Randyll. Since Rorge is reappearing, we can guess that Brienne's storyline from Feast will be at least partially shown during season 4, so the possibility of them casting Randyll is quite real.

He'd also be a great Wyman Manderly, if he looked the part.

Why would Kevan Lannister be recast? Ian Gelder's been in four episodes already, and had significant lines. He's had considerably more of a role than any part that has been recast so far, except for Gregor Clegane, which was only recast because Conan Stevens had a scheduling conflict. And if Gelder can't return, there'd be more or less no reason to recast Kevan until Season 5 - he doesn't need to appear this season.

I`m still holding out for him being Bloodraven and not showing up till the end of the season. Makes the most sense if they continue to have his role clouded in secrecy. HBO can`t really come out and say "And we`ve cast Mark Gatiss as the Three Eyed Raven." as it ruins Bran`s journey somewhat.

I am also aware that the show has made Bran the Three Eyed Raven but I`ve a feeling they`re being purposefully misleading.

I`m still holding out for him being Bloodraven and not showing up till the end of the season. Makes the most sense if they continue to have his role clouded in secrecy. HBO can`t really come out and say "And we`ve cast Mark Gatiss as the Three Eyed Raven." as it ruins Bran`s journey somewhat.

I am also aware that the show has made Bran the Three Eyed Raven but I`ve a feeling they`re being purposefully misleading.

Not exactly, that statement by Jojen can be interpreted in multiple ways. Besides Bloodraven never refers to himself as the three eyed anything nor does anyone else, they just call him the Greenseer.

Archived