The best comic strip ever made

peterbound

Andy Capp, the old chain smoking and hard drinking Andy Capp. Not the family friendly Andy Capp.

Nah. Andy Capp is quite good, but I never found myself crying due to laughing too hard. Only seen a few bits of Calvin and Hobbes, but they've never done that too me either.

Which is why I assert Piranha Club is the best. Some of those strips crack me up so hard. Such a shame that it isn't online (used to be). :(

Nah. Andy Capp is quite good, but I never found myself crying due to laughing too hard. Only seen a few bits of Calvin and Hobbes, but they've never done that too me either.

It's not always just about laughing yourself silly. Calvin and Hobbes is often fucking funny, but it's also ridiculously clever, insightful, emotional etc, etc... not a half-bad trick for a three-panel newspaper strip. It is a work of genius.

I mean, each to his own and I've not read Piranha Club to compare, but just my tuppence.

Which is why I assert Piranha Club is the best. Some of those strips crack me up so hard. Such a shame that it isn't online (used to be). :(

There are 2 Andy Capps, the one from the 70s and early 80s is the real one.

After that he got all politically corrected and superlame.

They made him stop smoking and chasing skirts and basically anything funny was taken away.

Now you just have the dude from the Hot Fries sign.

This is clearly a thread about Calvin and Hobbes.

(I tried to add a link to my favorite strip, the Sunday edition where Calvin and Suzy debate the definition of supply and demand, but sadly failed.)

Yeah I clicked on here because I assumed this would be about Calvin and Hobbes, and I am forever searching for this ONE. Sunday comic, 1992 or 93, where Calvin is drawing himself and making up his narrative. "No, that's not right! He's got a nose like a pig!" Descends into mad scribbles- "now his hair looks like a space helmet and his hands are just balls with sticks on them." And the last frame was Calvin "Aurgh! I Hate Drawing" Hobbes "I dunno, it was kinda getting good there at the end" I clipped it and saved it til the paper deteriorated. my roommate and I laughed for hours over that. Of course, we were also on a LOT of lsd.

All hail Calvin and Hobbes and recognize it's superiority and greatness! :bowdown:

With that being said, it's strips like today's that show one of the things that makes me love JL8 so much.

http://limbero.org/jl8/169

The writer will give you a scene and not quite explain it but allow you to figure out what's significant about it, and if you don't get it, the follow up strip(s) usually will fill you in. Also, I never read comic books, I fell in love with the DC universe through animated TV shows mostly. But many times I'll look up more information on a character or story arc they've adapted that I've found interesting and want to know more.

With today's strip, it took me a moment to figure out, but then I realized that the other boys in Hal's troop are John Stewart, Guy Gardener, and at first I thought that meant the third had to be Kyle Rayner, but the with the widow's peak, it has to be Sinestro. Why he looks human though, I don't know, especially with J'onn setting precedent that having aliens around isn't that big of a deal. Maybe in the next strip he'll have more of an orange hue.

But they've set up Hal being in the scouts for a while, so of course this would be his troop, and, I'm assuming, the blond haired scout master is Alan Scott.

Yale Stewart just has this universe so well thought out. Every strip feels so right. It always makes me think, yes this is what the DC universe would be like if all/most the characters were 8-years-old. I don't mean what it would be like if he took what we know of the fictional characters and what they were actually like as children, but if you took all the characters as they are right now, and made the children mentally and physically.

It's great!

I do remember a Calvin and Hobbes that made me bust a gut laughing.

Can't remember it perfectly but C&H were playing Monopoly and Calvin was robbing the bank and they went in this conversation of Calvin trying to explain how it wasn't against the rules to rob the bank. I was dying laughing, I wish I could find that one now

I do remember a Calvin and Hobbes that made me bust a gut laughing.

Can't remember it perfectly but C&H were playing Monopoly and Calvin was robbing the bank and they went in this conversation of Calvin trying to explain how it wasn't against the rules to rob the bank. I was dying laughing, I wish I could find that one now

http://g15.picoodle.com/ltd/img15/3/3/10/mike222/f_ch090308m_8e267e0.gif

• 2 months later...

Recently, I heard about the Dear Mr. Watterson documentary. That got me interested in reading the Complete Calvin and Hobbes books. Naturally, the strips got me laughing, and my 6 y/o daughter wanted to know why. I then starting reading them to her. Now, she is a big fan of Calvin and Hobbes as well, and I have to read some strips to every evening.

My favorite is Bloom County, the rest are The Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes, JL8 (one of the best depictions of Clark and Bruce's friendship without getting overwrought about it; and Barry Allen is hilarious) and I have a soft spot for Peanuts.

As much as I love Calvin & Hobbes, The Far Side is, in my opinion, easily the funniest comic strip ever. I was noticing a disturbing lack of it in this thread, and it gladdens me to see at least on person bring it up.

I bought the complete collection of Calvin & Hobbes, I haven't read any in 15 years and it's amazing how I recollected virtually every strip. A fairly early one that I laughed out loud at, when the school kids have to dress up as food groups for a play and Calvin asks Susie what she is. "I'm 'fat'." The look on Calvin's face, so proud cos he thinks he's the first person to say "No, I mean in the play.". Priceless.

Also I dunno why this one sticks in my head all the time:

http://www.cooperativeindividualism.org/calvin-father-on-black-and-white-pictures.gif

My favorite is Bloom County, the rest are The Far Side, Calvin & Hobbes, JL8 (one of the best depictions of Clark and Bruce's friendship without getting overwrought about it; and Barry Allen is hilarious) and I have a soft spot for Peanuts.

I was getting concerned that there was no love for Bloom County. It barely edges out Calvin and Hobbes for me, then Far Side (does this date us) I used to plaster the comics all over my school folders and protect them with tape. The saga of the great snake hunt at the water hole was documented on my biology folder.

As I stated earlier in the thread, my top 5 favorite comic strips are Calvin & Hobbes, Bloom County/Outland, For Better or For Worse, The Far Side, and JL8. I've got the complete, or most of the complete collections of all those strips too, not counting JL8 of course.

All great strips.

Yes, I guess I have a soft spot for Peanuts too, but it was the cartoon specials that really made me love the characters much more than the strips.

I will also be forever grateful to Garfield. say what you will about over-merchandising and over-exposure and it will all be true, and quite nauseating now, not to mention how repetitive blah the comic strip is now...all that said I will be forever grateful to it. When I was in 2nd grade I was in the remedial reading group and having a very difficult time. Then for my birthday that year I got the first 6 collections of Garfield books. I put them aside and ignored them for a while until a rainy day that summer and I was totally bored. I got one of the Garfield books and started reading. I read them all and re-read them again before summer was over.

When I started third grade I went directly from the remedial reading group to the advanced.

As much as I love Calvin & Hobbes, The Far Side is, in my opinion, easily the funniest comic strip ever. I was noticing a disturbing lack of it in this thread, and it gladdens me to see at least on person bring it up.

I'll never forget an episode of Darkwing Duck where they encountered alien cows that could speak and they were from the planet Larson.

DM of the Rings, which does the same thing for Lord of the Rings, is much better because it's finished and much shorter (144 pages). It also explains the most fecking random scene in the entire movie trilogy (when Elrond somehow teleports to Argorn's tent to give him a sword he could have given him months earlier).

This was brilliant :D Thanks Werthead! :cheers:

Archived