HBO's "Westworld" [Spoilers!]

AncalagonTheBlack

A number of people have mentioned the "Skyrim" type thing. Just to add - I read an interview with the show-runners last week where they specifically cited Skyrim NPC's as one inspiration.

Also - I don't think episode 1 ever once referred to Westowrld as a "game" (I viewed it as a theme park). But episode two explicitly called it a game multiple times

I believe I was the first person to raise the discrepancy between a daily reset and a week long plot. I mentioned it could be a plot-hole, but accepted there could be a valid explanation. And as far as I'm concerned now, it has been fully explained. Basic standard NPC's in Skyrim (and Westworld) have a simple daily script/routine. Side quest related NPC's have longer, more detailed scripts. And in Skyrim, at least, there's also main plot related NPC's who have far more detailed, whole game-spanning scripts. Makes me wonder if we might encounter those in Westworld too.

(and kudos to the person that first mentioned the game NPC possibility. And sorry for not remembering who it was). :)

Edit:

Okay... I checked back. It was red.

On 10/5/2016 at 7:28 PM, red snow said:

Again, I'm referring to Red Dead Redemption (or sandbox games in general) to view this. Their lives do play out the same every day (although I think "session" might be more accurate) - it's only when players interact with them that their stories change.

So good call. (I also liked your William = MiB theory initially. But the evidence is mounting pretty strongly against that one. Sorry bud) :P

I think MiB is a human too. Something happened thirty years ago and for some reason he wants revenge, or a better understanding. And he's also a VIP guest, maybe as compensation of being hurt by the game 30 years ago? Not sure...but I would be a bit disappointed of he is a host. 

Also can't wait for the "Peter Abernathy" host to come back...what an astonishing actor....

11 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

A number of people have mentioned the "Skyrim" type thing. Just to add - I read an interview with the show-runners last week where they specifically cited Skyrim NPC's as one inspiration.

Also - I don't think episode 1 ever once referred to Westowrld as a "game" (I viewed it as a theme park). But episode two explicitly called it a game multiple times

(and kudos to the person that first mentioned the game NPC possibility. And sorry for not remembering who it was). :)

Thanks for the kudos - watching the show and reading the in depth discussion here certainly fires up the imagination. There's plenty of cross pollination around.

I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it that the game aspect was far more prominent in episode two, while episode one felt more like an immersive experience. It could be that different types of people go there for different things or as Ford keeps pointing out - they can do whatever they like.

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I think MiB is a human too. Something happened thirty years ago and for some reason he wants revenge, or a better understanding. And he's also a VIP guest, maybe as compensation of being hurt by the game 30 years ago? Not sure...but I would be a bit disappointed of he is a host. 

Also can't wait for the "Peter Abernathy" host to come back...what an astonishing actor....

At first I was a bit annoyed at such a big change to MiBs character from the film but I'm starting to think him as a human is far more interesting.

I'm also wondering if there's any corporate espionage/sabotage going on? I could easily see a rival company wanting the technology or discrediting Westworld. I'm still pleased the show is locked into the park at the moment. I do wonder what the world is like with this sort of tech around and the arrival zone implies it's quite different from our world. But it would be a distraction at this stage. Maybe when we get more focus on some of the players we'll get a bit more insight. Probably via William and his friend - assuming that isn't in the past :P A guy has to have his dreams/crazy conspiracies right (this is someone who thought Kylo = Luke was a possibility)

I think it is way more interesting that the show has spun the movie on its head. The villains are the humans and the heroes are the hosts. This is also set 30 years after the opening of westworld unlike the movie where the park is new. So this could almost be like a sequel, rather than a pure remake. I just think it is way more interesting if MiB is a human. He is trying to get to the heart of Westworld. So what could his reasons be? Rival company espionage is a good idea. But how come he is a VIP guest that can do whatever he wants, even at the detriment to a storyline? Who IS he? Just another host would lose something for me.

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I think it is way more interesting that the show has spun the movie on its head. The villains are the humans and the heroes are the hosts. This is also set 30 years after the opening of westworld unlike the movie where the park is new. So this could almost be like a sequel, rather than a pure remake. I just think it is way more interesting if MiB is a human. He is trying to get to the heart of Westworld. So what could his reasons be? Rival company espionage is a good idea. But how come he is a VIP guest that can do whatever he wants, even at the detriment to a storyline? Who IS he? Just another host would lose something for me.

What if he is a co-creator who got so obsessed it drove him nuts and they just let him live there now? Maybe he felt like there was something hidden from him or happened to him when it opened and he just couldn't let it go and became obsessed with that world.

Or he is just an obsessed gamer who has found all the easter eggs and refuses to believe his favorite game is over and is frantically searching for something else in the game to give him a reason to keep playing? You know, kind of like people who have read a certain books series, while still waiting for the rest of the series to come out, spend countless hours looking for hidden kings and queens and conspiracies!

3 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I don't think he's a former co-creator but he's definitely someone important. I mean he could be a crazed gamer but that doesnt explain why he's a VIP guest. 

My thought was anybody who is willing to spend 40k per day many times over a course of thirty years would become a VIP, p.d.q.. It's like a high roller or whale getting a their sweet comped at Caesers Palace.  

4 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I don't know...maybe...but I get the impression he's someone kind of important. He's not just some rich nutter. He's important to Westworld somehow. 

I think he could be someone who had something to do with the creation but then got thrown under the bus by Dr. Ford.  

"That's what I love about this place...the secrets...all the little things I never noticed...even after all these years.

You know why this beats the real world, Lawrence? The real world is just chaos, it's an accident. 

But in here...every detail adds up to something...even you, Lawrence."

Maybe Ford created the ultimate good robot and the ultimate bad robot. He released them to see who becomes self-aware first and manages to overcome their "only good" or their "only bad." I don't even know what I'm saying anymore.

I think the little boy is a host based on Ford's BROTHER not himself...the little boy says  something like "We wanted to climb to the top of the mountain. But daddy said we weren't allowed. Then Tommy dared me" and Ford says "And here we are" just the way he says it...and when the boy talks about Tommy not believing something Ford cuts him short...so we know Ford's name? 

The ONLY thing that hints at MiB being a host (to me) is saying he was born there. But he says "in a SENSE I was born here" the blokes in westworld call him guest. "This guest has taken out a whole posse...want me to slow him down?" "That gentleman gets whatever he wants"

Archived