NFL 2014 Week 2 - They are what we thought they were

Howdyphillip

So far, the only real surprise to me are the Bears losing to the Bills. I did pick the Bills as my sleeper team this year though. I think EJ Manuel is a much better QB than he is widely thought of. He has great arm strength, accuracy, and a knack at evading the rush. No one anywhere is going to talk about him, so I thought that I would do so here.

Everything else went pretty much as expected. I wasn't surprised that Miami was able to sneak one over on the Patriots as I believed that they would split games this year.

So far, the only real surprise to me are the Bears losing to the Bills. I did pick the Bills as my sleeper team this year though. I think EJ Manuel is a much better QB than he is widely thought of. He has great arm strength, accuracy, and a knack at evading the rush. No one anywhere is going to talk about him, so I thought that I would do so here.

Everything else went pretty much as expected. I wasn't surprised that Miami was able to sneak one over on the Patriots as I believed that they would split games this year.

As a FSU fan and EJ Manuel is one of the most inconsistent QBs around. Yes, he has a strong arm. Yes, he can evade the rush. Yes, he can be accurate. But never consistently. And it's exactly what we've seen from him before. The reason people don't rate him is because of that.

As a FSU fan and EJ Manuel is one of the most inconsistent QBs around. Yes, he has a strong arm. Yes, he can evade the rush. Yes, he can be accurate. But never consistently. And it's exactly what we've seen from him before. The reason people don't rate him is because of that.

Yeah, also FSU fan, and while I gradually understood the reasons he peaked as the draft process progressed, I don't recall being particularly of the mindset that he was starter material during his college tenure. More developmental project with pretty good leadership marks, the kind of guy a Harbaugh might enjoy deconstructing. Starting from Day One always surprised me, and I kinda kept waiting for the rebound.

That one suprised me, especially regarding the manner in which they won. I don't think they snuck one by the Pats. They more or less throttled them in the 4th quarter. That game was won handily.

Funny, I was just looking at Football Outsiders and their post week 1 playoff projections have Buffalo atop the AFC East. Listening to Mays on the grantland podcast, he made it sound like Chicago lost the game more than Buffalo won it, but the fourth quarters of the 1PM games were a whisky soaked haze for me.

Funny, I was just looking at Football Outsiders and their post week 1 playoff projections have Buffalo atop the AFC East. Listening to Mays on the grantland podcast, he made it sound like Chicago lost the game more than Buffalo won it, but the fourth quarters of the 1PM games were a whisky soaked haze for me.

Oh the Beats lost the game. The Bills weren't exactly better overall, but the hit the right notes.

I am just about to sit down and watch Inside the NFL on Showtime. I have been watching this show since the late 70's. The cinematography has always been on the cutting edge and among the best shots that are shown every year on television. The Sables left a legacy to this day.

Despite this, I almost stopped watching this year because of the antics of Phil Simms and Chris Colinsworth. The bickering started becoming the featured part of the show and was getting to be painful to watch. Colinsworth left this year, and I think that the show lost the wrong guy. The first thing Simms did last week was to try and carry on these stupid antics with Boomer Eisiason. Fortunately, it seems that the new host wasn't as responsive.

I do like the new lineup though. Ed Reed, Eisiason, and Brandon Marshall make up a really solid team. I was surprised at how likable both Reed and Marshall come off as. It is also really nice to have an active player on the show.

I am just about to sit down and watch Inside the NFL on Showtime. I have been watching this show since the late 70's. The cinematography has always been on the cutting edge and among the best shots that are shown every year on television. The Sables left a legacy to this day.

Despite this, I almost stopped watching this year because of the antics of Phil Simms and Chris Colinsworth. The bickering started becoming the featured part of the show and was getting to be painful to watch. Colinsworth left this year, and I think that the show lost the wrong guy. The first thing Simms did last week was to try and carry on these stupid antics with Boomer Eisiason. Fortunately, it seems that the new host wasn't as responsive.

I do like the new lineup though. Ed Reed, Eisiason, and Brandon Marshall make up a really solid team. I was surprised at how likable both Reed and Marshall come off as. It is also really nice to have an active player on the show.

Simms is a flavorless twit. He's a Quaker dehydrated Rice Cake in human form. At least Collinsworth has some small measure of personality.

Losing Collinsworth and keeping Simms might be enough to stop me watching the show, which is sad, because I really enjoyed it. I still remember posting about their refreshingly uncomfortable Lawrence Taylor interview a year or two ago.

Yeah... that was a great interview. One of the best I have ever seen concerning football players.

Tonight's episode didn't have Simms at all, and the show was really well done. I hope that this is a precursor for the show to just get rid of him. It was the best overall episode I have seen in years.

John Abraham is taking five days off from Arizona due to his latest concussion.

According to the article, he's been suffering from memory loss for the last year.

A few weeks ago some of you were saying you hoped Wes Welker would retire to protect himself, normally I disagree with statements like that (I hope the guy can play and stay healthy instead), but if he's having memory loss it might be time to call it.

Have you noticed how everything Roger Goodell says or does seems to make things worse? He's now calling the original videotape of Ray Rice dragging his unconscious fiancee out of the elevator by her hair "ambiguous".

At what point do we come to the conclusion that more than anything the man is just incompetent? A loyal and superficially impressive appearing stooge of the owners that is undone by his inability to think through issues critically. Paul Tagliabue has had to come back once already and clean up his irrationally assessed penalties during Bounty Gate. Infact whenever it's entirely in Goodell's purview to assess penalties they seem to be determined without logic or any forethought to the possible public fallout. And more than that he's as out of touch as the worst of the owners.

His primary job, in his own words is to "protect the brand" but has anyone done more harm? Not even Rice, Rothlisberger, Snyder or Vick can touch him. This is the highest-paid non owner in professional sports and he's becfoming radioactive. He's the single biggest reason for the growing ranks of people who love football but hate the NFL. Increasingly I feel he's like GWB - a man thrust into a very tough spot in terms of having to deal with disturbing controversy after controversy and somehow has only made things worse.

Archived