Cricket 26: Sri Lankans and Bangladeshis and... Irish, oh my

Zoë Sumra

And they win it with a 6. :(

Ironically, in the end luck may very well have made the difference. Two french cuts from the Aussies went on, one missed for them. Two absolutely line ball LBW appeals which both went New Zealand's way. That floater off the bat which went over slips.

But New Zealand were worthy winners and set it up with a great bowling display. But there will be questions asked over their tail, and a few people will be thinking if you can get a good score against them they may be vulnerable. But they have a quality attack. Love to see Vettori bowl, one of my favourites.

Wow, Mitchell Starc going beast mode with the ball turned a probable procession into an improbable most exciting finish of the tournament. What a badass.

The Aussie cricket team are like the All Blacks or Mancester United. Even when they're off you can just never ever count them out because they don't know how to quit.

What an effort from Mitchell Starc at the end. Pretty disappointing effort from the Aussie batsmen but our bowlers fought back. Well played NZ but Australia will be back. We may need to rethink our batting line up but I think our bowlers can defend 200. Still I'd say NZ might just be favourites for the tournament over Australia and South Africa.

Hoping for a UAE upset against India, even though that is probably wishful thinking.

What a game!

Shocking batting of course. Australia were 1/80 and then became 9/106, essentially in the middle they last 8/26.

They shouldn't have brought Johnson back on, he was atrocious and 0/68 off 6 (it was in fact 0/68 off 5 before he bowled the maiden) relieved the pressure, if Starc could have bowled through they probably would have won it. But credit to NZ for staying the course and Williamson in particular for keeping them in there despite some very nervy endings.

All of the commentators said before play that the pitch was good and there was no sign of it playing badly, it was a case of some impressively sharp bowling, particularly from Boult and Starc, drawing key misjudged strokes.

McCullum is the worry, sounds like it's just bad bruising but it noticably affected his movements after the injury.

There was a lot of bad batting by the Australian top and middle order with a few good balls tossed in. I think Starc was just too fast for the NZ lower order. And probably some of the NZ top order dismissals were a touch soft.

But then, I'd have said so far this world cup its been batting pitches and a lot of batsmen getting themselves out needlessly. At least, the games I've seen.

Is anyone able to change captains when there are 2 games in a day ?

I have done when the first game starts at 10pm UK time - didn't do it this time because I didn't feel like staying up till midnight. You have to do it after the start of the first game but before the second.

ESPN really has the most appalling team in the studio tonight.

Yeah, I'm certainly no aficionado of cricket commentary (don't know enough to be a good judge), but even I thought this team was shit -- really lacking in analysis. It was like there were two color guys in the booth and neither of them were entertaining (the biggest sin a color guy can make).

We missed the end of that match (went to bed during the lunch break) but I'll go back and watch the highlights of the NZ innings just to marvel at the bowling. And really, the bowling was superb for both sides once the nerves settled. Well, except for that wipeout by the Aussie bowler. How was that scored, BTW? No ball?

ETA: I just checked the points from that match. Fursuit Mania gleaned 34 whole points from Watson and Guptill and came in 80,385th. Now that, my friends, is talent! :smoking:

Now trying to decide if I should stick with Herath, or if I should switch to Lakmal.

Alright -- switching up my method a tiny bit now that we're into the second half of group play. Going to have 1 bowler and 1 batsman per team (usually I had a bowler from one team and a batsman from the other).

Shoot, that was uncomfortably close. But it is great being on the right side of a close game vs Aussie for once. Awesome way to finish it. I wonder how things would have turned out had McCullum not broken his arm. I sure hope his batting doesn't suffer too much for the quarters. FInally having Trent Boult in my team instead of Southee pays dividends.

Archived