Edge of Tomorrow [Spoilers]

Veltigar

6 hours ago, RenlyIsNotRight said:

Am I the only one who was really not expecting this movie to be any good? The trailer just made it out to look like a cross between Generic Tom Crusie Sci Fi Action Movie #958432 and Groundhog Day but when I finally got around to watching it ended up being solidly one of my favorite movies of 2014.

The fact you even saw a trailer is impressive. I'd never even heard of this movie until it hit hbogo. Terrible marketing. 

I'm one of the few lucky people who actually saw this in theatre it seems :D  I probably have a higher tolerance for Cruise than most people. I liked his previous sci-fi effort (Oblivion I think it was called), eventhough that was a pretty bad movie all things considered (all the designs were cool though) and I really like Emily Blunt, so I was willing to give it a shot. The trailer also looked pretty cool. I liked the song, I liked the aesthetic and Emily Blunt looked really hot.

I became really excited though when all the great reviews came pouring in. Thelocal broadsheet I read gave it a 4/5 and they aren't in the habbit of handing those out to any old film (especially when it comes to blockbusters, the reviewer working for them is one of those typical everything-has-to-be-hard-and-artistic-to-be-good-kind-of-critics). And then there was Stuckmann's review which was really enthusiastic and I knew I was in for a good time :) 

3 hours ago, Mexal said:

I don't think anyone was expecting it to be good. That's why it flopped domestically and wasn't expected to get a sequel.

That and some truly terrible marketing (or so I hear, where I live that was pretty okay). 

7 hours ago, RenlyIsNotRight said:

Am I the only one who was really not expecting this movie to be any good? The trailer just made it out to look like a cross between Generic Tom Crusie Sci Fi Action Movie #958432 and Groundhog Day but when I finally got around to watching it ended up being solidly one of my favorite movies of 2014.

At the time I thought Edge of Tomorrow was easily the best blockbuster of the last few years. And then one year later we get Fury Road. We have been spoiled these past two years. 

I expected it to be pretty good. I saw the trailers all over the place; I suspect that if you were watching sports you saw them a lot. If you weren't, you might not have. 

1 minute ago, Astromech said:

Godfather II, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Only half of Godfather II was a prequel (and in screen time its closer to a third).

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and Temple of Doom both told stories that we didn't know about at all from the original movies; so the only outcome we knew was that the hero would survive (which is a good guess in most movies anyway). We know the story of Verdun here, at least enough of it.

Prequels are almost uniformly pointless; unless they are the kind like Temple of Doom, where you wouldn't even know its a prequel necessarily unless someone told you.

6 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Godfather II, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Godfather II is not a prequel, it tells the story both going forwards and back, and the story progresses significantly.  If they wanted to have an extended flashback of Rita that would be fine. 

Temple of Doom is easily the worst of the trilogy, and doesn't tell any story that we know anything about.  Can't comment on Good, Bad and Ugly, since I haven't seen it. 

I am not bothered by the fact we know what happens to Rita at Verdun. I would love to see it depicted. Knowing the outcomes or being familiar with the events doesn't dissuade me from viewing shows or films. In fact, they can sometimes enhance my enjoyment and appreciation of the originals.

33 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Anything but another prequel!  We already know that story - just leave it to the imagination.  Can you name even one prequel that was actually worth making? 

I sincerely hope Rogue One will be a worthy prequel. :D

Edge of Tomorrow was a terrific fun sci-fi movie. Perfect amount of humor sprinkled in, with Blunt being a total bad ass.

I always complain about not liking time travel movies. But between Star Trek, Edge of Tomorrow, Looper, and Source Code, apparently now love them.

No idea how they'd make a sequel without running a high risk of it being a big disappointment.

21 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Anything but another prequel!  We already know that story - just leave it to the imagination.  Can you name even one prequel that was actually worth making? 

In addition to the others already mentioned, I'd add Better Call Saul. It's been fantastic so far. 

At first glance the prospect of a sequel excited me, but now that I've thought about it for 10 seconds this seems like a really stupid idea. Why do they always have to make crappy sequels (or remakes, like in the case of Memento) for every successful movie, just to grab money from idiots who are going to see it because they liked the first one? This is going to be The Matrix all over again.

Archived