Edge of Tomorrow [Spoilers]

Veltigar

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Love the film but I don't see how they can make a viable sequel.

While I think your scepticism is more than warranted, I can't fully share it. I think no one here expected the first film to be as great as it was and it surprised us all. I hope they pull off the impossible once more :) 

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Love the film but I don't see how they can make a viable sequel.

I agree, I thought it was a great film but I'm nervous about the idea of a sequel. I hope they do something a bit more imaginative than just reusing the first film's premise with another type of alien.

6 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Then we don't get more Tom Cruise deaths and that would be a shame.

Yeah. It'd be nice if they came up with something good and original but I wouldn't be too fussed about an entertaining repeat of the first film because it was quality.

21 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Focus on the suits and their utility rather than the "reset the day" idea?

Edge of Tomorrow without some kind of time/reality shenanigans strikes me as pointless- just make another franchise with big mecha suits. But just repeating the trick from the first one is also an ask.

Maybe they can cross over with Source Code. :P

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

They were already doing that...

I assume that he means that the aliens and Cruise/Blunt both reset, and thus you cannot just do things over and over until you master it, because the Aliens are adapting too.  Presumably the aliens would need to capture Cruise/Blunt, since killing them won't really do anything.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

They were already doing that...

Yes, but this time the aliens can keep resetting so they don't lose the final battle. Tom Cruise has always been a villain to me.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I'm excited for the sequel.  The way I see it, the way to make a sequel tie in with the rather nonsensical ending is to have a third level of alien that reset things, but that alien is not on Earth.  Somehow the Alpha+Omega blood that got on Cruise screwed things up for the reset.  As a result, Cruise was resurrected instead of the Omega, and all the local aliens died with the death of the local Omega control.  Sequel is set some time later when the SuperOmega comes to Earth to finish the job.  Cruise and Blunt see that the new alien invasion is succeeding in the same way that the old invasion was, and they know that they must somehow cover themselves in Alpha blood in order to set up a loop in order to have a chance at getting enough chances to defeat the SuperOmega.

It is pretty cheesy, sounds more like a videogame plot than a real movie, but it could work. 

Yeah, I think something like that makes the most sense. And it basically fits with my initial impression of the ending (with Cruise waking up on the helicopter) up until the dialog saying all the aliens were dead; which was killing Omega just pushed Cruise further back into time rather than actually fixing anything.

Ditch the alien threat entirely. Cruise makes himself unkillable via time resets, turns megalomaniacal, and Blunt has to figure out where he keeps the source of his power to finish him.

5 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

This was like a lot of Tom Cruise movies ............ I liked it despite him..... Christ he's a douche.

Emily Blount doing push-ups = uber giggity

Holy balls she was hot in this movie.  So, if you like a lot of Tom Cruise movies despite him...maybe you actually like him?

A sequel seems in poor taste IMO.

So I found out about the sequel and went to discuss it with my housemates.....and neither of them have seen the first one. I'm going to have to do some educating this weekend.

On the sequel, I hope it's good, but it's not something I'm going to go see in theaters on the first day. More like one of those movies I'm going to wait for the reviews for before I cough up any cash.

Am I the only one who was really not expecting this movie to be any good? The trailer just made it out to look like a cross between Generic Tom Crusie Sci Fi Action Movie #958432 and Groundhog Day but when I finally got around to watching it ended up being solidly one of my favorite movies of 2014.

4 hours ago, RenlyIsNotRight said:

Am I the only one who was really not expecting this movie to be any good? The trailer just made it out to look like a cross between Generic Tom Crusie Sci Fi Action Movie #958432 and Groundhog Day but when I finally got around to watching it ended up being solidly one of my favorite movies of 2014.

I don't think anyone was expecting it to be good. That's why it flopped domestically and wasn't expected to get a sequel.

16 hours ago, lacuna said:

Ditch the alien threat entirely. Cruise makes himself unkillable via time resets, turns megalomaniacal, and Blunt has to figure out where he keeps the source of his power to finish him.

This would be good. But knowing what kind of movies Cruise likes to be in, he'll still be the hero, this time hunted by some human douches for his power.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

I don't think anyone was expecting it to be good. That's why it flopped domestically and wasn't expected to get a sequel.

It does seem like quite a risk for the studio, even if the original is now finally profitable. They must really think they've got a marketing pitch that will work this time.

Archived