What's annoying you today? Part the grievous

Arkhangel

25 minutes ago, Raja said:

Did he not know how to do the procedure? Or was it only the matter of his insurance not covering it? 

I don't know. He didn't say anything about not knowing how to do it, and based on my experience of having it done before it isn't particularly complex.

57 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

1. I had my first minor run-in with a student.

2. I lost a pretty shawl.

Are these two things connected?...

My annoyance is referencing/citations for my essay. Ugh. Probably the worst part, I'll just get into the flow of what I'm writing and I have to stop to add in a footnote. It's not good going back to put them in afterwards either, as I usually forget where I need to place the footnote or where the reference comes from etc. There are also waaay to many guidelines for how to reference.

had to call in sick to work because im still really ill, think its a chest infection but i also feel like i have a freakin sinus infection? just pain and mucus everywhere and i coughed so much that i threw up earlier and can barely walk around without coughing and sneezing??? so im obviously in no fit state to go to my kinda active retail job tomorrow but im still panicking that they hate me now and think i am faking being ill

i got told months and months ago maybe even like 6 months + that i had maxed out my sick days when i really didnt think i had taken that many ?? its just i was in uni alongside working and you get sick all the time in uni, freakin viruses being passed around tiny lecture halls and i think my immune system is kind of terrible and i get quite poorly maybe more often than a lot of people and from this post that says absolutely nothing but has somehow turned into an essay you can tell ive also gone a bit mad 

I work for a non-profit organisation assisting women from a particular marginalised group with a particular very serious social issue (vague enough for ya? :p). I actually only work there til next week, as I'm moving on to another job. Today I was helping to organise a conference in a couple of weeks' time. CEOs of multiple similar organisations will be attending. For the three days their accommodation will cost around $400 each. The CEO of our organisation? Has decided the hotel everyone else is staying at isn't good enough for her and had her assistant book her a place somewhere else. I found out today that her accommodation for the same period will be almost $1500. #smh

14 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

My annoyance is referencing/citations for my essay. Ugh. Probably the worst part, I'll just get into the flow of what I'm writing and I have to stop to add in a footnote. It's not good going back to put them in afterwards either, as I usually forget where I need to place the footnote or where the reference comes from etc. There are also waaay to many guidelines for how to reference.

No, they are not. They were two separate annoying things on the same day.

You get used to referencing and do not think anything more of it after a while. Actually I fell pretty fancy to see how the source list is growing - "look, professor, I put looooots of work into this, do you see how many sources I looked into?" ;) But I do not use footnotes, just the form: "My annoyannce is referencing/citations for my essay." (ExMachina 2016: 10)

15 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Endnote is your friend - if you don't use it already! 

On 4/6/2016 at 2:38 PM, Targarien21 said:

My university! I'm so tired of it and studying which has in fact no sense at all! But I need to get my diploma so... :unsure:

Soon enough you'll be working for a living, doing senseless stuff for no apparent reason and there is no diploma at the end o itf but 40+ more years of doing the same. Things could be worse.

2 hours ago, maarsen said:

Soon enough you'll be working for a living, doing senseless stuff for no apparent reason and there is no diploma at the end o itf but 40+ more years of doing the same. Things could be worse.

Of course but I believe in better future :wacko:

2 hours ago, maarsen said:

At least you get paid to do that senseless stuff. Going to uni, you are paying money to do it...

Traffic. Sitting in the middle of a horrible traffic jam. Why is there a traffic jam on Saturday afternoon? I have to be somewhere at 3pm. And let me tell you that annoys me too. I didn't get up early enough, so I had to rush and couldn't get ready properly. And I really wanted to get ready properly because I didn't get married or engaged, I didn't have a baby, I don't have a skyrocketing career, Microsoft doesn't invite me NYC and I didn't even move country so I have literally nothing to say about the past 5 years of my life so the bloody least is that I look better than 5 years ago. seriously, why the F am I even going? 

The Belgian Train Company sucks. There is something wrong with their time table. I do not know exactly why but I must wait for my other train an hour while I normally would have directly another train :bang:.  

Bureaucracy!  Fuck you Bureaucracy! 

The trouble is that the rules are made to keep the Big Fish in check without regard for the fact that they are strangling many little fish like me.

I attended a seminar on DOT regulations regarding commercial trucking and this is my take-away:  You cannot possibly be compliant to all the regulations.  The presenter was a man of 30 years DOT experience.  He gifted us with copies of the Bible of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations and told us how he keeps a copy by the bed.  He also acknowledged that prior to this seminar he had been unaware of an exception in some regulations for people in my industry.  He acknowledged that the regulations change monthly.

So you can live and breathe DOT safety regulations and still not know it all. 

He opened with an acknowledgement that most people want to be compliant and that people who don't care are the fringe.  He taught me not to care.  On the whole, it would be cheaper to pay the fines of non-compliance if I get inspected rather than devote the time and energy to comply.

At one point I did get emotional.  He was outlining the protocol for hiring a freelancer to do some driving and I pointed out, 'So I have to do it all myself.  It takes three hours of paperwork to get 2 hours of work from a hired driver.'

Woe is me.  I just have to suck it up one way or the other.  Once I was issued a citation for not having a log book on a 90 mile journey.  The officer was wrong, I wasn't required to have a log  book but I didn't know that and he didn't know that so I just paid the damn fine.  Cost of doing business.

On 4/9/2016 at 6:47 AM, Lyanna Stark said:

Our basement is flooded >< Kid the younger is also super ill with a bad cold and fever. Yay for weekends. :(

House problems suck.  Oh to go back to the days of being 20 with no responsibilities or care.

My pregnant wife might have strep, and my two little boys are coughing a lot too.  Apparently I am immune.

Anyhow, I was just at a global warming presentation and it was 16 degrees F this morning with a fucken 30 mph wind.  Not that I don't believe global warming is a serious issue but i sort of feel like telling them to get bent.  We were supposed to play baseball today.

Archived