This Watch, Watched, and Watching Thread? I like it. ANOTHER

AndyBaelish

I just rewatched Blade. I have to say, I think it has been quite a while sine I last saw it and man it's better than I remembered. Some of the effects are horribly outdated, but overall this film is really good. It's a very good actionflick almost all the way through (final face-off a bit less so) and Wesley Snipe hands out some of the most convincing asswoopings ever. You just totally buy him fucking all those people up. I'd have no problem putting it up there as one of the best superhero films (admittedly not a genre with a lot of competition), alongside The Dark Knight and Unbreakable. 

The opening scene is probably one of the best scenes introducing a superhero I can think of. I agree it's a good action film, although like so many of the superhero films that followed it the finale is a bit underwhelming compared to the build-up.

The opening scene is probably one of the best scenes introducing a superhero I can think of. I agree it's a good action film, although like so many of the superhero films that followed it the finale is a bit underwhelming compared to the build-up.

Yeah; I've always loved that intro scene in the club with that poor guy walking into a pit of dancing vampires and blood sprinklers and then Blade's introduction and fight scene. Ace stuff. 

I'm two seasons into my first watch of The Wire :D No surprises, loving it so far :D

Yeah, the end doesn't really make sense. I still don't get La Magra ;) 

Yeah; I've always loved that intro scene in the club with that poor guy walking into a pit of dancing vampires and blood sprinklers and then Blade's introduction and fight scene. Ace stuff. 

:agree:

Recovering yesterday from the previous two days, I watched both the Marco Polo season one prequel, One Hundred Eyes (it's only 28 minutes), and the first dvd of the "Egyptian" mini series, Tut.

Hmm. at this point (there are 3 dvds available as a thee-part 4 and 1/2 hr.  mini series) it's a legitimate question as why the reviewers sneered at it so extravagantly.  It's certainly no worse than Atlantis, say (and I'd say, at least so far, better than Atlantis, which I gave up on after two episodes), or any number of modestly entertaining things on television of every kind.

Tut looks good for the modest Spike cable, which was the intended home for this scripted drama. Tut's got loads of good old-fashioned adventure plotting, and isn't probably in the least historically accurate to the young Pharaoh's life (I have an Egyptologist among my closer friends).  The dialog is no sillier than any other so-called historical or historical fantasy show, nor is the acting.  It's adequately entertaining, and most certainly so after two days and nights of eating and drinking and talking and dancing too much and staying up way too late (rolling home at 5 AM on Christmas Eve -- really? -- sheesh!).

Watched three movies today: Return of the Jedi, Love Actually and Black Swan. ROTJ was good as always, Love Actually is a mixed bag for me but ultimately enjoyable.

Black Swan was really good. Natalie Portman gives a terrific (Oscar-winning) performance and is completely convincing as the ballet dancer who slowly loses her mind. I was unable to take my eyes off the screen. Scary and beautiful at the same time. I really enjoyed this one, even if enjoyed isn't really the right word for it. It wasn't a happy time but I'm certainly I watched it.

Watched Mississippi Grind with Ryan Reynolds and Ben Mendehlson. Decent movie.. the blues soundtrack fit the tone and setting of the movie about two travelling gamblers and I liked the local shots of the various cities along the Mississippi (Dubueque, St. Louis, Memphis, New Orleans). Ben Mendehlson plays a very similar degenerate character to the one he played on Bloodline but both actors did a good job at making the movie engrossing.

Love that show. I've been watching it myself recently. Reminds me of my childhood (though my childhood wasn't near as zany).

I feel the same way as the years go by. I have very little in common with Malcolm or any of his brothers, but as I get older I see Louis and Hal debating over which bills to pay and I totally connect. Meanwhile I understand the kids' complete inability to understand that their actions are hurting everyone else. Basically, it's a great show.

Anyways, I'm watching 'Warrior' right now. Which was my 2011 best film. Tom Hardy just... y'know. ;)

I watched Nightcrawler this morning. So intense! Another film I wish I'd seen at the cinema. That final action sequence must have been something to behold. Wowsers. I really hope to see JG in more interesting roles (similar to this and Enemy) in the future.

Also watched the latest series of Luther. It was a little bit disappointing to be honest. I think each season has gotten weaker. But this one had some pretty poor and unconvincing writing in it. Is there still going to be a movie?

And finally caved and went to see the new SW before Christmas. Having zero expectations of it and not really caring either way... I thought it was perfectly ok. :)

Since there's no TV on right now, I decided to try a couple of shows some of my friends have been talking about.

The Grinder - This has a ludicrous premise and stars The Waitress, Rob Lowe, ad Fred Savage. It's really funny and well written. Definitely going to keep watching this one.

Making a Murderer - This is also very amusing, for different reasons. It's pure genius from Netflix. They've figured out how to market trash TV to people who think they're too good for trash TV. A Prestige TV label and a thin "possible miscarriage of justice" veneer over lurid subject matter lets people feel better about what they're watching, I guess. While it's entertaining seeing my coastal liberal friends echo the outrage my mom expresses after watching an episode of Nancy Grace, two episodes is quite enough for me.

Archived