How did Stannis came to trust and value Davos so much?

shardofNarsil

So we have seen that Stannis value Davos' advice above almost everyone,although he is always kinda rude to him (tbh he is rude to everyone) in his own style deeper inside he is grateful for him and love him like a  true friend.Suffice to say Davos /Stannis is a match made in heaven. Davos is someone who keeps Stannis from becoming another Tywin and gives him a perspective few around him can give.

But do we know when and how did this bromance started ,I mean Davos was still only a landed knight and Stannis the King's Brother with many people around him to counsel him or did Maester Cressen played some part in it ?

Just curious about my favorite character.

Presumably it began when Davos was presented with a knighthood and loss of his hands and he didn't shy away from it and only asked that Stannis perform the deed himself. That must have won all of Stannis' respect. It's an acceptance of judgment and also a challenge to Stannis to show that he means business as a judge and leader. 

53 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

Presumably it began when Davos was presented with a knighthood and loss of his hands and he didn't shy away from it and only asked that Stannis perform the deed himself. That must have won all of Stannis' respect. It's an acceptance of judgment and also a challenge to Stannis to show that he means business as a judge and leader. 

Exactly. I don't understand the question. It's said in the books that Davos helped smuggling and saved everyone inside Storm's end. That in itself should be enough. And after that he didn't run away with the gold, instead stayed and recievied his punishment for smuggling

IIRC Davos also admits in the books that he risked his life smuggling provisions into Storm's End during the siege fully aware that this was likely to get him some form of reward or in the king's good graces.  I can't recall the exact reference, but he did mention something about how he didn't just do this out of the goodness in his heart.

Aside from the aformentioned justice-boner Stannis would have gotten when he saw how Davos reacted to his offer, it's worth remembering that Stannis doesn't exactly have a lot of friends. So while they're from completely different backgrounds, both had the motivation and opportunity to get closer after they met.

Part of me wonders if Stannis saw some semblance of the traits that he valued in his brother's bestie Ned Stark in Davos: loyalty, honesty, valor, capability. Stannis does seem to envy that brotherly bond, and I get the sense that Davos impressed him with his salvation of Storm's End and the willing acceptance of his punishment. And after Davos was knighted, he didn't asskiss, and Stannis probably recognizes when people are only sucking up to him because he's a lord and the king's brother. Davos has always been forthright with him.

On 4/7/2017 at 1:51 PM, shardofNarsil said:

So we have seen that Stannis value Davos' advice above almost everyone,although he is always kinda rude to him (tbh he is rude to everyone) in his own style deeper inside he is grateful for him and love him like a  true friend.Suffice to say Davos /Stannis is a match made in heaven. Davos is someone who keeps Stannis from becoming another Tywin and gives him a perspective few around him can give.

But do we know when and how did this bromance started ,I mean Davos was still only a landed knight and Stannis the King's Brother with many people around him to counsel him or did Maester Cressen played some part in it ?

Just curious about my favorite character.

Mainly because Davos owes everything he is to Stannis and is loyal. Also gives good advice and saved his life and all of the garrison at Storm's End during the Rebellion. Stannis prizes loyalty and considering very few people have ever supported his claim it would probably mean a lot.

On 4/7/2017 at 11:41 PM, Lord Lannister said:

Stannis has an utter disdain for highborn Westerosi society. Davos is everything they are not.

I was checking in to offer the same opinion.  "Would all the lords of Westeros had but a single neck."  Stannis is the ultimate lawful neutral, and Davos is a dutiful, moral servant.  Stannis doesn't lust for power, doesn't lust for riches, doesn't lust for women.  Davos is his Ned Stark.

1 hour ago, LindsayLohan said:

I was checking in to offer the same opinion.  "Would all the lords of Westeros had but a single neck."  Stannis is the ultimate lawful neutral, and Davos is a dutiful, moral servant.  Stannis doesn't lust for power, doesn't lust for riches, doesn't lust for women.  Davos is his Ned Stark.

He absolutely lusts for power. He bitches when Robert doesn't give him SE. He bitches when Robert makes Ned hand instead of him. He bitches when Renly "takes his rightful bannermen", and he bitches when Renly offers him a better deal than he'll ever earn as his own king. He wants to force people to follow him without a single shred of proof as to his allegations. If that isn't lusting for power I don't know what is. That changes a certain amount when he sails north to defend the realm, but that's really just his motivations changing, not the end game (assumption of power).

44 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

He absolutely lusts for power. He bitches when Robert doesn't give him SE. He bitches when Robert makes Ned hand instead of him. He bitches when Renly "takes his rightful bannermen", and he bitches when Renly offers him a better deal than he'll ever earn as his own king. He wants to force people to follow him without a single shred of proof as to his allegations. If that isn't lusting for power I don't know what is. That changes a certain amount when he sails north to defend the realm, but that's really just his motivations changing, not the end game (assumption of power).

Its obvious you do not understand Stannis character, he doesnt lust for power at all of course he was upset about SE anyone would be it was rightfully Stannis to have since he is the second son not Renly and he just almost starved to death protecting it from enemys, Stannis yearns for Roberts respect but never gets it even though he is a loyal subject to Robert in every sense of the word. Renly is an ursurper and he delt with him accordingly. Ned knows nothing of southern politics which makes him a shitty pick for hand as proven when Ned managed to get his head chopped off and his family and keep destroyed........

2 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

Its obvious you do not understand Stannis character, he doesnt lust for power at all of course he was upset about SE anyone would be it was rightfully Stannis to have since he is the second son not Renly and he just almost starved to death protecting it from enemys, Stannis yearns for Roberts respect but never gets it even though he is a loyal subject to Robert in every sense of the word. Renly is an ursurper and he delt with him accordingly. Ned knows nothing of southern politics which makes him a shitty pick for hand as proven when Ned managed to get his head chopped off and his family and keep destroyed........

I understand him quite well. Stannis wants what he thinks is rightfully his, even though it's not his to take and never bothers to prove it first. It's not entirely his desires I am debating. It's his lack of understanding and inability to grasp political, social, legal and familial realities that underline why he yearns for power. Like I said before, he explains this all at length to Jon at the wall when he sails north.

4 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

Its obvious you do not understand Stannis character, he doesnt lust for power at all of course he was upset about SE anyone would be it was rightfully Stannis to have since he is the second son not Renly and he just almost starved to death protecting it from enemys, Stannis yearns for Roberts respect but never gets it even though he is a loyal subject to Robert in every sense of the word. Renly is an ursurper and he delt with him accordingly. Ned knows nothing of southern politics which makes him a shitty pick for hand as proven when Ned managed to get his head chopped off and his family and keep destroyed.......

He starved to protect SE yet the stormlords didn't object when Robert made Renly their lord? Tell me how Stannis wasn't entitled when he doesn't care about what his vassals think and he just feels he is owed SE? He has a cold personality yet he wonders why everything is not given to him. Explain me why he feels he is owed the position of the hand of the king? Him hating on Ned has nothing to do with Ned's qualifications. It has all to do with his history with Robert. The guy always felt he deserved power as a reward for his duty. This doesn't make him negative but it also doesn't make him altruistic either.

10 minutes ago, Foot_Of_The_King said:

Maybe the Storms End to Renly wasn't as big as a slap in the face as people tend to think. The heir of the Targaryen dynasty often took Dragonstone as their seat. Stannis may have been too mad/whiny to see the honor in that. Or maybe not, just saying. 

Most people *don't* think it's a slap in the face. GRRM said it was careless generosity to his brothers, Stannis being the heir/lord of DS and Renly being the lord of SE. Kinda puts the nail in that coffin. It's not surprising when people haven't read that SSM, but the only in world source for the malice comes from Cersei, a notoriously keen judge of character, motives, and relationships.

We actually saw it happening, I believe. It was a process. At the beginning, say, ACOK, Davos I, the Onion Knight was but one of many men serving Stannis. Stan heard his opinion, but he also heard everybody else's. He only seemed overtly important to us, thanks to him being a POV character.

Davos moved up the ladder, thanks to his unwavering loyalty, having brains, not fucking up too badly, and not dying/switching sides at the Blackwater (a combination of qualities that grew scarcer and scarcer with the passage of chapters). But he wasn't Stannis' most trusted when we first met them.

Archived