X-Men: Apocalypse coming in 2016

WTFSalami

Ugh. That portrayal of Angel was cringe worthy, especially the scene where he saves his dad. It wasn't Foster's fault, he's a good actor and all, but I hate what X3 did with Angel.

I thought the opening scene of him trying to shave his wings off was the best in the film. But, yeah they fucked the character up after that.

I thought the opening scene of him trying to shave his wings off was the best in the film. But, yeah they fucked the character up after that.

I'm a little puzzled at this, because, well, the character didn't actually do much. I mean, he went to Xavier's looking for help, and he saved his father from the Brotherhood, and he flew a bit... he probably had about four lines of dialogue, total, after that scene.

I could understand people complaining that the character was wasted or not used, but since they hardly did anything with him, saying they 'fucked the character up' is somewhat of a strange complaint.

I'm a little puzzled at this, because, well, the character didn't actually do much. I mean, he went to Xavier's looking for help, and he saved his father from the Brotherhood, and he flew a bit... he probably had about four lines of dialogue, total, after that scene.

I could understand people complaining that the character was wasted or not used, but since they hardly did anything with him, saying they 'fucked the character up' is somewhat of a strange complaint.

I guess it really comes down to that horrible scene where he saves his father, with the cheesy music playing. I also wsnted to see the cocky playboy Angel we know from the comics. I didn't care for the cure storyline with him and Rogue.

Well, if Apocalypse possesses Magneto back in the 70's, the world Logan returns to (the present) could be a sudo Age of Apocalypse (ie vastly different timeline). Fassbender can now look the same (being immortal) if Sir Ian doesn't want to return. Cyclops and Jean can be alive again. They can keep Jennifer Lawrence if they can (or if she wants). We'd lose McAvoy and Hoult, but get to keep Rogue, Iceman, Colossus, etc.

If X-Men: A returns to the present, they can bring back Ben Foster to do the archangel storyline with the four horsemen. I liked Foster in the role.

I agree this would be good, but my understanding is Singer wants AoA to focus on the young Xavier/Magneto cast.

I suspect this might have to do with costs as much as anything. Trying to use both casts is probably rather expensive.

Bryan Singer has confirmed through Twitter: Apocalypse is not an alien.

Also, it appears the sequel for DoFP will indeed be the new guard (ok, looks like speculation from Blastr/SyFy as they don't offer a source). So, this may be it for Rogue, Iceman, Colosuss, etc in their current incarnations.

That also means we might get young Cyclops and Jean back, though. And recasting Storm too. Wouldn't it be great to get mohawk Storm? :)

ETA: Hmm... staying in the past kind of screws up getting Warren's wings chopped off and new metal ones with new spring blade action. Maybe Apocalypse will work out of time to snag the character backwards? Not sure of the rationale to do so. I just want to see Angel become Archangel.

ETA: Hmm... staying in the past kind of screws up getting Warren's wings chopped off and new metal ones with new spring blade action. Maybe Apocalypse will work out of time to snag the character backwards? Not sure of the rationale to do so. I just want to see Angel become Archangel.
Not really. Alternate history. Magneto finds Warren, chops his wings off and turns him into Archangel. We skip all the other stuff.

Except that Warren was unborn in the 70's, or just a toddler.

Apocalypse would have to find a way to jump to the "present" and take Warren back to the 70's or 80's. Of course, then you lose the drama for Xavier et al for having one of their own subverted to the other side.

Archangel will have to have a different backstory, or they ret con Warren from X3 to having never happened. You know, after the events of DofP, Warren's mother celebrates too much and gets pregnant with Warren a lot earlier, so a new actor can step in for the early 80's. :) With young Scott and Jean.

or they ret con Warren from X3 to having never happened.
That's it in 1. There's nothing stopping them from basically totally ignoring everything that happened in X3. And Singer's said that he'll do so if he wants to. I think that'd probably be easiest.

• 3 weeks later...

This casting 20-year-olds and teenagers to play these characters is fucking mind-numbing to say the least, especially when they're not the awesome characters that we all know and love.

X-Men Roster:

Professor X

Jean Grey

Cyclops

Storm

Wolverine

Rogue

Gambit

Nightcrawler

Bishop

Cable

That's fucking IT.

All of them need to be in their late-20's to late-30's, and for god's sake can you give them some semblance of identity with at least a version of their varying comic costumes? Stop with the black leather NASCAR suit shit already.

Take out Cable, Gambit and Bishop and put in Beast, Colossus and Kitty Pryde. The idea of a core X-Men roster lacking Kitty in particular is just nonsense. She's way more integral to the team than big-gun-toting grim and boring characters like Bishop and Cable.

Take out Cable, Gambit and Bishop and put in Beast, Colossus and Kitty Pryde.

I'd be tempted to suggest Iceman (or Angel?) over Beast, but otherwise I'd definitely agree with this.

Bishop and Cable aren't -- or shouldn't be -- "core" X-men, aren't particularly interesting characters in their own right, and in any event are each basically the same character. Why would you want both of them?

Age of apocalypse is a favored story line of mine.

The 90s were not kind to the X-men, and I think Apocalypse himself is a terrible villain, but I'll admit to having a soft spot for AoA. At least it managed to deal better with Magneto than most post-Claremont stuff I've read has tended to do.

Archived