Harry and Hermione

fuem

Though I did like how Snape said "I told you to empty yourself of emotion! ... Fools who wear their hearts proudly on their sleeves, who cannot control their emotions, who wallow in sad memories and allow themselves to be provoked this easily — weak people, in other words — they stand no chance against his powers! He will penetrate your mind with absurd ease, Potter!"

Nice self description there Snivellus.

That's funny because it's true.

Considering love potions are legal to use, I think wizards have a differemt concept of consent.

Right, wizarding world is terrifying. Why any muggleborn fights for it is beyond me.My response in the same situation even before wizard Hitler showed back up would be to leave ASAP.

ETA then again how many muggleborns do we actually see fighting? Maybe most of them bailed while they could.

The only two male characters we meet who are on Hermione's intellectual level are Snape and Voldemort.

You have a lot higher opinion of those two than I do.

Considering love potions are legal to use, I think wizards have a differemt concept of consent.

It's interesting just how little sympathy anyone has for Tom Riddle Senior. He's not a nice man, it seems, but he was either drugged or put under the imperius curse by Merope, raped repeatedly, and used to impregnate her. Understandably (to me, but not to anyone in-universe) he fled when he recovered his wits.

Plus, Hinny's development went way too fast and lacked a lot of the depth it should have gotten if JK really wanted us to believe they spent the rest of their lives together happily ever after. Though according to a teacher of mine who is an avid fan of JK, said that Rowling once said that originally Luna was supposed to be Harry's love interest, but that got derailed for some reason. Rowling later retconned saying the Ginny was always supposed to be for Harry.

Which really doesn't make sense if you look at the books, because it seems like Harry x Luna was being set up before Harry x Ginny came in the picture, and then suddenly Ginny is just there, front in center and everything. Luna fades more into the background in comparison. Which makes me think that perhaps her rescue from Malfoy manor in the seventh book was originally planned to be a romantic rescue mission to save Harry's love interest and that even after deciding not to go down the Harry x Luna path, JK decided to keep it in.

So the rushed development of Hinny I suppose could be chalked up to JK having a change of heart mid-series and then trying to get all the Harry x Ginny stuff in the last few books. I also heard that one of the reasons the Ginny obsession in the Half-Blood Prince is over-the-top and sudden is because JK wanted to draw attention away from Harry's other obsession of that year, Draco. By the looks of fanfiction.net, she failed.

Ginny had a crush on Harry as early as the beginning of The Chamber of Secrets.

For me, her development made sense. She had an early crush on Harry, then around the 4th/5th book when she turned "badass" she experimented around with other boys, probably trying to get her mind off Harry on purpose. Then Harry started to show interest for her and well, happily ever after. Good development enough for a children's story.

Was anyone else bothered by the fact that Harry had no family members living except his aunt? His parents being killed by Voldie was one thing, but both sets of grandparents as well? And when Harry looks in the mirror of Erised, there are all these relatives, all dead? It wasn't just his mom and dad and their parents, but lots of others.

That bothered me a lot too. I think maybe Harry had relatives in the wizarding world on his father's side, but Dumbledore just decided to keep him secret from them and keep this secret from him and from Dursleys because 1. Harry should be kept from the attention of the wizarding public, which was best done in a muggle environment 2. Dursleys would probably try to get rid of Harry as soon as they realised he had magic powers 3. it was Petunia who had Lily's blood and therefore she could protect him.

Ginny had a crush on Harry as early as the beginning of The Chamber of Secrets.

For me, her development made sense. She had an early crush on Harry, then around the 4th/5th book when she turned "badass" she experimented around with other boys, probably trying to get her mind off Harry on purpose. Then Harry started to show interest for her and well, happily ever after. Good development enough for a children's story.

That bothered me a lot too. I think maybe Harry had relatives in the wizarding world on his father's side, but Dumbledore just decided to keep him secret from them and keep this secret from him and from Dursleys because 1. Harry should be kept from the attention of the wizarding public, which was best done in a muggle environment 2. Dursleys would probably try to get rid of Harry as soon as they realised he had magic powers 3. it was Petunia who had Lily's blood and therefore she could protect him.

Having a crush isn't relationship development, it's completely one-sided and doesn't give any indication that an actual relationship between characters would work out, especially when that crush was supposed to have worn off eventually. Plus, the crush seemed to have been only there to show that Harry had fangirls who were head over heels with the idea of the chosen one, as well as just give Ginny some personality. And if you base Hinny's early development solely on Ginny's pre-existing crush on him, and then later-development on her very sudden character change, and Harry falling in love with her because all of sudden she was hot, popular, and badass--and not because of a legitimate emotional connection--it comes across as very shallow.

Just as Hermione exists to give Harry (and the reader) insight into the technical/historical/intellectual side of Hogwarts, Ron exists to give an insight into the cultural side of the wizarding world: unlike Harry and Hermione, he was born into it, molded by it. Harry and Hermione didn't see the wizarding world until they were already teens; by then, it was nothing to Ron but blinding!. But there's only so much wizarding culture to be brought up (whereas Hermione can mention new spells), so Ron loses his importance as the series goes on.

:leaving: I'm going now :p

A problem with Harry/Ginny (yet another reason to hate the epilogue) is the naming of Albus Severus - the relationship seems all about satisfying Harry's emotional needs, rather than hers.

I think a more realistic epilogue would be one in which we saw the three of them bored and depressed at having achieved anything they were going to achieve years previously. Rather like someone who'd commanded a brigade at the age of 21 in WWII, and then found they were spending the rest of their life selling insurance.

Hey one of my fave ships used to be Hermione/Snape so there you go. :P

I think that a person with Lupin's personality and intellect would have been a good match Herimone. A professor anyways, Snape's baggage would keep anyone from getting close, unless Herimone looked like Lily.

I think a more realistic epilogue would be one in which we saw the three of them bored and depressed at having achieved anything they were going to achieve years previously. Rather like someone who'd commanded a brigade at the age of 21 in WWII, and then found they were spending the rest of their life selling insurance.

Waitin' around for the 10, 20 , 30 year reunions to relive the glory days.

A problem with Harry/Ginny (yet another reason to hate the epilogue) is the naming of Albus Severus - the relationship seems all about satisfying Harry's emotional needs, rather than hers.

I don't see how that follows.

Archived