Justified Season 6 (SPOILERS)- Rightly Aplexed in Harlan

Larry of the Lawn

I really don't think this series will end well at all for Boyd and Ava. I hope it does end happily ever after for them, but I don't think it will. I'm not digging so much the plot--it seems to just have twists and turns for the sake of throwing in twists and turns--a much less organic plot and conflict than Raylan vs. Boyd or Raylan vs Arlo. The characters and dialogue, however, are fantastic as always.

So am I wrong in saying that the basic consensus is that the main problem with this season is Sam Elliott's AWOL mustache?

It's off putting, amiright?

Just caught up on the first 3 episodes.

I like Sam Elliot without the mustache, it makes him seem more evil.

A few other thoughts:

-The dialogue has always been operating at a high level, but is it just me or are the pushing it into Deadwood territory with some more archaic phrasing and diction?

-Dewey Crowe- I really didn't see that coming until you could see Dewey's reflection in the picture. Too bad, he was one of my favorite characters. I guess it was due though, they could have milked his antics for another season, but I'm glad it didn't get overplayed. The diner scene was great.

-Boyd's guy Carl telling Dillahunt/Wolcott/Walker to "get walking Walker, you and your beard too" was way funnier than it actually should have been.

-How great is Wynn Duffy in every single scene? Even in the episodes where he's only got a minute of screen time he's always memorable. The tanning booth was great.

-When is Raylan going to shoot someone? I know he's trying to play it by the book and we're supposed to wonder if fatherhood has changed him, but that other shoe has to drop at somepoint. Haven't seen episode 4 yet so maybe I don't have to wait very long.

-Can't remember her name but Mary Steenburgen's character - What the hell was she thinking putting Boyd after Markham's money? She must have some kind of longer con or some other check on Markham, otherwise she's as suicidal as Boyd said. Or maybe the long con was to get Boyd completely out of the picture, but if he kills Markham in the meantime, great? Is she planning on being the big bad crime boss of Harlan? Something about the geometry of the situation is missing for me.

-Great season so far. Love getting some Rachel and Tim screen time. Tim picking up ChooChoo and giving him a ride was hilarious.

eta:

-and Calhoun/Colonel Sanders : How is he still alive? Is he just that necessary for the land grab? Seems like Wolcott and Markham should have figured out what was in that safe deposit box already, and then killed him.

Oh one other thing I meant to mention. I had never heard the phrase "peacocking" before this season's premier. Then Sam Elliot called Boyd a peacock in the last episode. Somebody likes that insult.

I'm slightly confused about what this season's overarching plot is.

Markham is plotting to take control of Harlan's land by force, Hale is plotting to bring him down ( and Boyd in the process too, I guess ) and Boyd is plotting to take them both down ?

I'm slightly confused about what this season's overarching plot is.

Markham is plotting to take control of Harlan's land by force, Hale is plotting to bring him down ( and Boyd in the process too, I guess ) and Boyd is plotting to take them both down ?

Yeah, do I need spoilers here? It's a land grab to be ready for when weed is legalized in Kentucky.

How the hell did they get young Gary Busey to play that guy Wiz.

Edit: oooh it was his son! I should have figured that out.

Well now I've shifted my concern for Raylan's baby to Lorretta.

Also Ms. Hale stole her Bill and Hillary story from The West Wing. Though Sorkin may have stolen it from somewhere else, for all I know.

Archived