Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - The Skye is Falling

The Anti-Targ

Was that Hartley in the preview?

http://comicbook.com/2014/09/30/agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-season-2-episode-3-sneak-preview-making-fr/

You mean with her face in the machine thing? I'm terrible at recognising faces but I'd say not.

In fact I'd take a stab at it being Maya Stojan who'll be playing Agent 33.

Glad Simmons is reappearing, but at this point I buy her genuinely turning to HYDRA as much as I buy her leaving Fitz. So I'm guessing she was working for a subsidiary unknowingly. And then is strongarmed somehow, probably with Fitz as leverage?

On the episode, It was fine, not great not bad but fine. And the dialogue didn't levae me cringing as hard as I was in S2 so there's always that.

I liked Kyle Maclachlan, as the bad guy showing up. He does creepy quite well actually. But you can also believe he has the charisma Raina found lacking in Garret. Which on a side note I like that she's back so soon. No Ward this episode was also good, shows they have the restraint to keep him back (even if it is only for a little while.)

On Creel, why didn't they just smash him to bits when he turned to glass or even stone? SHIELD officially killed him before he started working for Hydra, so I'm not sure where Coulson found his restraint now.

The bus and jets and cloaking. If you want me to buy invisibility, fine. Corny but fine. 'Sound cloaking', I'm less cool with but OK whatever. Complete lack of even the slightest hint of a breeze, no. I can't do it.

And why didn't Hunter take the shot from where Trips was? And I'd have preferred them not to push the Hunter is the new Coulson angle, because it's forced and patently false.

And why didn't Hunter take the shot from where Trips was?

Yeah, in a fairly average episode that seemed like the major bit of stupid, done entirely to get a more plausible physical altercation going.

How did Creel turn into metal in that moment, anyway? He wasn't touching anything, was he?

Yeah, in a fairly average episode that seemed like the major bit of stupid, done entirely to get a more plausible physical altercation going.

How did Creel turn into metal in that moment, anyway? He wasn't touching anything, was he?

The bench.

The bench.

Yeah, looking at it again he has his arm on the metal armrest. Only in other scenes where he changes it begins at the part of his body touching the other substance. Here that arm remains normal while his neck and head are turning into metal.

Sad, seeing as the show finally has an interesting direction. If it had been this quality last season it might have held more viewers.

Indeed. I'm guessing the season premiere drew back a bunch of the viewers who dropped out during the first season, and after missing a big chunk of the story, they didn't enjoy it enough to stick around for 2.2. I think there's a decent chance ratings will start trending up again (and at the moment, I actually care, which wasn't the case at all in season one).

Indeed. I'm guessing the season premiere drew back a bunch of the viewers who dropped out during the first season, and after missing a big chunk of the story, they didn't enjoy it enough to stick around for 2.2. I think there's a decent chance ratings will start trending up again (and at the moment, I actually care, which wasn't the case at all in season one).

Hopefully those mid season drop outs go back and catch up with Season 1 then come back to the show. Still it is only a sideshow to the Marvel movies and not at all necessary to keep the movie Juggernaut rolling, so if it's cancelled at the end of this season no big loss. Except of course for the cast who will need to find new acting gigs.

Spoilers for Episode3

In fact I'd take a stab at it being Maya Stojan who'll be playing Agent 33.

Well I'm not exactly convinced HYDRA would trust Simmons like that. But I

The Ice effects were fairly poor. A little restraint on the part extent of his abilites would have been nice.

I'm liking the HYDRA lieutenant guy (I don't remember him being named in the programme but apparently he's called Sunil Bakshi.)

And I'm unclear why Skye didn't mention it was Gill they were after. Ward could have told her about the mind control. They didn't mind telling him it was Creel they were after in E1.

Not a bad effort all round. Skye shot someone (who admittedly probably isn't dead.) Fitz seems to be having a good thing going on with Mack. And Simmons is in place for Mockingbirds appearance. Sure there was dumb stuff, the ice around the ship being thin enough for a small kid to fall through. Hunter genuinely shooting at a metal door to open it.

The Ice effects were fairly poor. A little restraint on the part extent of his abilites would have been nice.

I'd rather they tell the story they want than restrict themselves to what they can achieve with perfectly realistic effects. Convincingness is nice, but very much a secondary concern.

And I'm unclear why Skye didn't mention it was Gill they were after.

Because they thought they knew enough about him already, and didn't expect Ward to have any Gill-specific knowledge to add. It seems reasonable in principle to avoid giving the Hyrdra prisoner more information than absolutely necessary, though obviously it turned out to be a mistake this time. Creel on the other hand they lacked information on, and had reason to expect Ward to have useful intelligence due to the Garrett connection.

Sure there was dumb stuff, the ice around the ship being thin enough for a small kid to fall through.

That was after it had been melting for hours...

Because they thought they knew enough about him already, and didn't expect Ward to have any Gill-specific knowledge to add. It seems reasonable in principle to avoid giving the Hyrdra prisoner more information than absolutely necessary, though obviously it turned out to be a mistake this time. Creel on the other hand they lacked information on, and had reason to expect Ward to have useful intelligence due to the Garrett connection.

But they actually had all the information specific to Creel Ward had. The only useful thing he had to offer was the more general information about communications.

I am only vaguely aware of ratings when it comes to shows. I don't know if it's just PR spin, but I believe the live ratings for SHIELD only tell half the tale -- it supposedly does really well in DVR stats. I'm still championing this show.

I feel like it's found its footing after some growing pains. I am less concerned with powers than I am costumes. I don't need to see people icing shit up or changing their DNA -- just show some people in costumes at some point. I am really hoping they throw Mockingbird into something resembling her comic costume and it's a sign of things to come.

On a show like this, "gifted" abilities can come off looking a little hokey. They can just as easily capture the essence of the MU by starting to introduce the litany of non-powered heroes in the world.

So far I'm enjoying the show much more than I did last year; it's more intense, Skye is less whiny; the stakes seem higher. I certainly hope it's not going to be cancelled when it's finally becoming more interesting.

The plotting is also tighter. In S1 Skye was all over the place character-wise and most of the characters were bland to annoying, not to mention it wasn't clear what they did or why people who weren't field agents were in the field.

I also think the acting has improved a bit.

I thought episode 3 started out Peru strong. The opening with Simmons was fantastic. But by the middle and certainly towards the end it felt a little more early season 1ish. But it wasn't terrible at the same time.

And wait...33 is going to be Mockingbird? I totally missed that...

Archived