Daily Facts of Ice and Fire

I absolutely agree with this. I'm not a huge Targ fan myself, but I'll eat their history right up if it's open to me.

For real, honestly its sort of pathetic and child-like if that's your reasoning to cancel a preorder. They were the most influential family in Westeros for 300 years, they're gonna be all over the place. Won't be boring lol. Really pumped for anything Starky

I don't like that piece of news either. We're already supposed to get Fire and Blood at some point, do we really need half of an already short book about them alone?

I mean, since this is about the world of ice and fire, Targaryens are such a small piece of history that they shouldn't get more pages than the average great house. In fact, IMO they should get less.

For example: as far as we know, the Rape of the Three Sisters led to a thousand years of war between the Vale and the North. House Mudd ruled over the Trident for 1000 years, and so did House Greyiron in the Iron Isles. Gardeners first armed the Shield Islands against the ironborn 2000 years ago, and the Blackwood-Bracken feud was started centuries before the Andals invaded.

These are just examples for the sake of contrast, because House Targaryen ruled 6 of the original 7 kingdoms for 283 years, and all 7 for less than 100. I'm not saying they're irrelevant, but 50%?

I enjoy Targaryen stories of import and wonder, like anything to do with ancient Valyria, dragon origins, the magic behind dragonbinding, the age and characteristics of various dragons, major prophecies and events during the Conquest etc.

But the endless dissertations on the differences in personality and physical appearance between Aegon, Aenar, Aerys, Aenys, Baelor, Baegon, Maegor, Maekar...and then then the second of his name for all of the previous guys again, then the third of his name for them all again and so on and so forth...that gets a bit much.

So there were a bunch of Targaryens with names so similar they make Zohar lo Loraq and Breznar zo Dorak from Apartment 1, Pyramid 2, Harpy Street, Meereen look easy to distinguish from one another.

That is Targ obsession gone overboard. And then we start with who each of them may have married, 5 generations ago and there we go again.

Meanwhile, you get 1 page about the entire history of the Children, and the Giants, and maybe a brief overview of the entire history of the North.

Now, I'm not going to not buy the book because of it, because I am that interested about a lot of the other stuff covered in the book. But I can reliably predict that I am going to be skipping past Maekar, Maegor, Maegon and Maerys, once I read that Aenys mostly spent his time brooding on his privy because he suffered from bowel problems.

That's just not very interesting material, I'm afraid.

I don't like that piece of news either. We're already supposed to get Fire and Blood at some point, do we really need half of an already short book about them alone?

I mean, since this is about the world of ice and fire, Targaryens are such a small piece of history that they shouldn't get more pages than the average great house. In fact, IMO they should get less.

For example: as far as we know, the Rape of the Three Sisters led to a thousand years of war between the Vale and the North. House Mudd ruled over the Trident for 1000 years, and so did House Greyiron in the Iron Isles. Gardeners first armed the Shield Islands against the ironborn 2000 years ago, and the Blackwood-Bracken feud was started centuries before the Andals invaded.

These are just examples for the sake of contrast, because House Targaryen ruled 6 of the original 7 kingdoms for 283 years, and all 7 for less than 100. I'm not saying they're irrelevant, but 50%?

They don't have 50% in the book Ran said they have about 25% and a little bit of other info throughout the book dealing with the regions after the conquest.

Qohor’s god the Black Goat demands daily sacrifice. #FactsofIceandFire

Now that IS interesting. I suppose we will never get a PoV in Qohor, and of the two Qohorik I can think of, one is a nasty piece of mercenary shit (Vargo Hoat), but the other seems to be a decent enough person (the armorer in KL, can't remember the name). I wonder if either or both is a follower of the Black Goat.

Iä Shub-Niggurath! The Goat is hungry!

Arataniello,

I always thought Tobho Mott was just an apprentice in Qohor in his youth, because he was so nice and all, but that does not need to be the case.

General stuff:

I'm not sure whether the Targaryen reign sections will be something like the Black Centaur's biography (i.e. 'Aenys Targaryen rose, moved his bowels, and failed to make an important decision'). The history of a reign should also tell important stuff happening throughout that reign (for instance, the reign of Daeron I should be dominated by the Conquest of Dorne, the reign of Daeron II should at least some space on the First Blackfyre Rebellion, and so on).

I really don't think anyone interested in the history of Westeros would not be interested in this kind of stuff.

Lord Varys

Go to the thread below this one - GRRM interview on AWOIAF. There is some amazing new info there, thanks to images released by Barnes and Noble.

Maybe you are aware of it already, but I certainly wasn't and it is the most exciting stuff I have ever read outside of the main novels.

(As an aside, it is not Targ related, by the way).

Seems to me it makes sense the the only family in Westeros to ever have dragons and ride them would get a lot of attention. Especially given that they are the only foreigners to conquer the land, and the only people ever to unite that whole half of the continent. Like it or not, that's a big thing in the history of a country.

Imagine how sick everyone in England must have gotten hearing about Alfred the Great all the time. Then William the Conqueror. Talk about king fatigue! :P

Funnily enough, we don't really learn about Alfred the Great in the English Education system. There is so little fact at that time and we have so much history to get through. What we do get beaten around the head with is the World Wars. After 4 years of studying them from every angle you do wish you could go back and look at the fun stuff pre-1600.

That shows how misleading these factoids are. If not for the information gleaned from the Barnes and Noble image release of the Kings of Winter page, people would never have connected Royce Redarm to the Boltons. They would in fact have thought he was of House Royce.

I agree that "surname" isn't the same as "nickname", so in this aspect, you could say they are misleading.

And we're missing yesterday's fact...

That shows how misleading these factoids are. If not for the information gleaned from the Barnes and Noble image release of the Kings of Winter page, people would never have connected Royce Redarm to the Boltons. They would in fact have thought he was of House Royce.

Just imagine fuss and commotion on forums...

Archived