WHEEL OF TIME officially optioned for television

Werthead

4 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm happy with just a well made show but I find it hard to believe there won't be the mythological on set advisor from GOT suggesting "this scene could use some nudity' if they are trying to distill factors that GOT is known for.

There was quite a bit of nudity in the books, it's sex scenes that were largely missing.

Onto actual adaptation matters. Is the first book relatively easy to adapt in terms of cost? I'm thinking with LOTR that for other fantasy shows to get past pilot/season 1 will need to be relatively cheap to make. If the show gets an audience they can always expand the budget but a really expensive first season could out Amazon off or make less willing to renew without a great reception

The expensive bit in the first book would probably be the ending when there's a lot of magic going on, although there might be some flexibility in terms of how much they show. Other than that it doesn't feel that it would be necessarily be more expensive than season 1 of GoT (for example). However, I think later seasons could increase the cost because there's much more in the way of magic, some big battles and a huge number of different locations.

50 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Given they feel emotions through the bond, it could enter Sense 8 levels if they wanted to push the boundaries.

As long as they don't end the last episode of the final season with a closing shot of a wet rainbow strap-on, going a bit Sense 8 would be OK.

55 minutes ago, red snow said:

Onto actual adaptation matters. Is the first book relatively easy to adapt in terms of cost? I'm thinking with LOTR that for other fantasy shows to get past pilot/season 1 will need to be relatively cheap to make. If the show gets an audience they can always expand the budget but a really expensive first season could out Amazon off or make less willing to renew without a great reception

The story in the first book wouldn't require a big budget for VFX, as uses of the One Power are few, but depending on how faithful they try to be to the books, it would be costly in terms of filming locations and set designs. The characters traverse half the continent in the first book, there's one big city to see, a couple of small ones, a ruined city which, based on episode 2's title, with definitely be in there, and a battle at the end, though that can be cut down as it wasn't described much in the book anyway. 

But if Werthead is right, and season 1 also covers the 2nd book, or part of it, then oh boy...

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

depending on how faithful they try to be to the books, it would be costly in terms of filming locations and set designs.

Though a lot of it would get reused in later seasons, so the cost could be amortized if they're committed to doing the whole story.

14 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I don't want a Wheel of Time that does 12+ chapters per episode.  This sounds ridiculous.

It depends a bit on which chapters, but it does seem to be a very fast pace for the early books.

TBh, while I'm usually a stickler for being as faithful as possible in the adpations of stuff like this, the Wheel of Time is one where I wouldn't mind if they took some liberties and did some heavy editing or rewriting. I loved it back in the day, but it was often a frustrating thing to love.

Glad to see a second writer, and one who's a woman. Judkins says she writes Mat well. We'll see, but that's going to be crucial for the humor portion of the show. They're apparently going to release teases every Wednesday for some time, called WoTWednesdays, so I'm hopeful this progresses well, and Amazon announces their plans for the show officially, and soon. I'm surprised a second episode has been written before Pilot approval. Is this standard?

Episode 2 ending at them reaching Shadar Logoth makes a lot of sense. Especially if the episodes are a bit longer than an hour.

The only significant thing between them leaving the Two Rivers and reaching Baerlon is Egwene unbraiding her hair and her and Rand fighting. They can do that literally anywhere. Same with Rand overhearing Moiraine's explanation about the men who went mad and broke the world... it is useful exposition, but it, too can happen in Baerlon itself.

If I were them, I'd jump straight ahead to the Inn, introduce Min, the ta'veren having troubled dreams, Egwene leaving her roots behind, and Nynaeve arriving. Then you have Rand meet the Whitecloaks, then they escape them and leave Baerlon, and you have 20 minutes given to Moiraine and Lan owning the Trolloc bands, which will be effects heavy, but a good hook, and then have them decide to go to Shadar Logoth. End the episode with them in the creepy city. It would be a packed hour, or a somewhat less packed hour and a half.

As for the polygamy... I'd rather it end up with Elayne and Aviendha deciding to leave Rand for each other, frankly. Rand can be their sperm donor. They spend waaay more time with each other, learning to love and respect each other, than either spends with Rand. Its ok if Rand has a fling with them, but then maybe have them realize they like each other more, and make the whole thing less icky. Done right... it could work? Or am I totally bonkers on this?

8 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Nah that’s about the right place to stop.

6.  If you're going to stop without finishing the series I'd say six. The end of that novel is fairly exciting.

Edit: Actually, your post says "about". I suppose that word includes book six. 

23 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I don't want a Wheel of Time that does 12+ chapters per episode.  This sounds ridiculous.

I think they could just about do all of Winter's Heart in one episode. Light send the series gets that far.

It sounds from people's comments that the show will be pretty pricey particularly towards the end of the season. Hopefully sets can be reused whereas if the books involve them going to need places that are very different all the time that could be a strain.

It usually seems like expensive first season shows tend to get a second season (as a lot of the financial heavy lifting has been done) and then they make a decision on ratings. Then it's a case of full steam ahead or a shortened third season or the "movie finale after listening to the outpour from fans". If people's predictions of around two books a season are right and that the first 5 books are the strongest then at least they have a chance to hit the audience with the strongest material

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I did say just about.

And that's still nonsense. Mat finding Tylin dead, releasing the Windfinders, escaping from Ebou Dar while kidnapping Tuon... that's going to need both setup and time.

Same for the Cleansing, which cannot possibly come from nowhere. 

Given the rate at which they're doing EotW, I'd say more than a third of a season for Winter's Heart seems appropriate. 

31 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

And that's still nonsense. Mat finding Tylin dead, releasing the Windfinders, escaping from Ebou Dar while kidnapping Tuon... that's going to need both setup and time.

Same for the Cleansing, which cannot possibly come from nowhere. 

Given the rate at which they're doing EotW, I'd say more than a third of a season for Winter's Heart seems appropriate. 

Tug your braid! That'll show The Anti-Targ how serious you really are. 

Archived