February is the hardest month

Fragile Bird

This February has been tough but my vote goes for November. Once the leaves fall off the trees and the days get short the reality that winter is coming smacks you right upside the head. Plus now that my kids are old enough to ski and I've developed my winter mountaineering hobby the cold weather is not so bad.

Blah. You say this because you don't possess central air.

It is known.

isn't that what Gold Bond was created for?

the more I think this through, I really think summer is the unmitigated season disaster.

Is that what it's for? I think I've been using it all wrong.

I've been so busy this month that I only just now noticed that we are halfway through it. I had my daughter's (belated) birthday party at my house, and we have two more to go this month. She and her brother had Valentine's day parties at school. My son has an evaluation coming up and my daughter is starting on her dance recital rehearsals.

All of this on top of our normal everyday chaos.

I guess I'd rather be busy than bored, though.

I know that must all be a lot of work, sj4iy, but it still sounds awesome.

Thanks ^^ It does make the time fly by, though. I'm enjoying a bit of quiet time now that both of my kids are napping upstairs..but only for another 20 minutes. Then I have to start dinner XD

I rather like February here in Iceland, the days are getting longer and soon it will be April my favorite month, because then we feel the spring.

But I do not like October and November and the dark days they bring. - We all love December :bowdown:

I think I kind of hate January more than February. January is long, the days are short, it's the month when winter really becomes winter, it's he month when everyone is unwinding in a post-Christmas, post-New Years funk and work starts to pick back up as people finally, grudgingly begin to play catch up. Sure January has New Years and MLK Day, but those are brief reprieves in an otherwise shitty, oppressive month and there are still 29 more shitty days. January also has sports, but honestly, in any other month they'd just be boring to watch and only in January are they really entertaining.

Just to give February some kudos, February is nice and short, the days are getting longer, it's still usually cold and shitty, but sometimes it manages to warm up and while February loves to tease by raising up the temperature one day and then dropping it the next, along with a shit load of snow, but at least February tries. With February, there's at least a light at the end of the tunnel, but with January, the tunnel is covered with snow and ice, it's -10 degrees out, and someone is punching you in the dick.

Fuck January.

While I agree the summer months can be nasty, I have air conditioning, and the sun is shining. Sunlight makes everything better. The dark during winter really gets to me. I find I lose interest in doing anything after the sun goes down, whereas in the summer the sun encourages me to do all sorts of things, from working in the garden until sundown, to going out to social events, to visiting friends. I'm quite the hermit in winter.

February, I agree. I'm sick of winter by then and I'm sick of seeing Valentine's Day shit everywhere, worst holiday ever. To each their own but personally I hate the fuck out of it. And this year is worse because 50 SHADES OF GREY. IT'S EVERYWHERE. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Only decent thing is, my mum's birthday tomorrow and we're probably going out for a meal next week. Other than that February sucks balls. And I hate march because that's when exam panic sets in. Exam results from last semester, coursework deadlines blah blah blah. April is pretty much the same but has my birthday in it. May is ALWAYS exam season so I hate it. June this year will be my favourite month, because I'm going on holiday :D

Also February (and March) weather can never make its mind up, there'll be warm sunny days and then cold rainy ones. It hadn't rained for a while here so yesterday I thought I'd wear something slightly summery as dreary winter clothes get so depressing after a while.

It got very cold, windy, and rained all evening. *sighs*

No. February is a hole. No significant sports post Superb Owl until pitchers and catchers report. The NBA a little, but that depends on if your team is worth watching. College basketball is there, but isn't really significant until the March tournament.

That. And cold and snow.

Yes, it is a horrible sports month and cold as shit so I agree with Jax and the OP.

I think January gets my vote. I hate Christmas, and then we have an entire month of grey, dark days after all the "excitement" has gone. Plus it seems to go on forever.

My SO's birthday is next week, and my mum's was last week. It's only stressful at the moment because money is tight. I detest valentine's, but I don't really acknowledge it, so it's not a big deal. We've had a few sunny but cold days here lately, which I can handle. In the south west, things really start warming up in March/April, with longer days and sunshine. Two years ago, my SO took a picture of the snow he had up country, then 4 days later, he came down to Plymouth and we went out for a day by the sea. I miss that bloody city.

I think November is probably the worst, even though Thanksgiving might just be my favorite holiday (I love to eat!). So maybe just like the first 4 weeks of November? But I usually don't get much time off so I frequently spend Thanksgiving alone. And it gets dark so effing early and the days are just getting shorter and shorter and all the sudden you realize you're wearing sweaters and it's too cold for the beach and UGH.

Just yesterday I had my first "Ah, it's 5:30 and the sun is still out!" moment, so February is doing okay.

It helps that I live in a very consistently mild climate zone, so it takes weather out of the equation a fair amount. Back when I lived in cold areas, January was probably the worst because it's been cold/snowy for so long, days are still short, and there are still many months of that shit left. I firmly believe that humans (or at least me!) are not at all intended to survive cold weather! We're far too hairless. :P

February is better than November and March because it's too cold to rain in February. NorCal Weather > Crisp Cold > Cold Rain > Anything above 80 > Florida Weather.

With that said, February is a sports desert, which is frustrating (even as a hockey fan; the most irrelevant games are now).

Really? February is one of the best months for me. End of August probably being the worst.

In February you are already way past the 22nd Dec solstice and the days are long enough for you to have light in the morning and at the end of the workday. Spring and summer are on their way, you get to plan your vacation and such, it's an exciting time to be alive.

In comparison the end of August marks the end of the summer, shortening of days and the impending coming of the fall rains and winter darkness. Your vacation is over and you have to get back to your boring routine with almost a year until the next summer.

Seriously, fuck August!

I'm not in the antipodes but the month I absolutely hate and find the hardest to get through is August. Cold and snow and darkness I can deal with easily and I don't really get tired of it. I hate hate HATE heat and humidity. And gosh the bright sunlight, it hurts my eyes.

Agreed. The summer months are the hardest for me. They have some appeal as well, I know that, but I find the heat harder to deal with than the cold. It gets in the house and there is nowhere you can get away from it. It's so invasive. And I really don't need the days to last that long, I'm ok with it being dark at 9 or 9 pm. 11 pm and it's still light, enough already. I'm more of a Winter person.

Archived