What were the 80's like?

Seaworth'sShipmate

The USSR in the 80s may have been more powerful and a more controlled society, but it was almost certainly less repressive than Putin's Russia and was way more predictable, rational and law-based.

This is not true for any stretch of the 80s bar maybe the last six months or so. The USSR fought a brutal war in Afghanistan, about which it's people knew less than present Russians know of Ukraine, as despite the recent clampdown Russians today have far more access to independent and foreign media than they did as Soviet citizens. Soviet dissidents would kill for an internet, even one as monitored as Putin's, and press liberalisation didn't begin until 1988.

As for predictable and rational, the first half of the decade was one of the most severe confrontations of the Cold War. The Politburo was physically and mentally decrepit and terrified of Reagan's messianic pronouncements and the deployment of new short-range low-altitude nuclear missiles that seemed purpose made for a surprise attack. Soviet spies were poring over every hospital blood bank for hints of a first strike and their early warning satellites were glitchy. The White House had no idea what was going on and massive NATO exercises were ordered, most notably 1983's Able Archer, despite this matching Soviet indicators perfectly. Things worked out for the better when Gorbachev took office, and I suspect that rosy Reykjavik glow is being backdated here.

Also Reagan created bag-ladies. Before he shut down all of the mental health hospitals there were zero schizophrenic homeless people in my hometown.

Actually, each state, IIRC, was responsible for closing down its mental health hospital. At least that's the way it was in Michigan. In fact, as a court reporter, I recall quite distinctly being in the courtroom and reporting a hearing during which both sides presented pros and cons about keeping the state mental hospitals open. At the conclusion I left with the thought, "Well, THAT'S fairly obvious. There's no way they can be closed down" only to find out the judge ruled that, yes, they WOULD be closed. It appealed and was decided by the State Supreme Court.

As much as Reagan was at fault for so much, he sure wasn't alone in what took place during that time. In fact, institutionalization/deinstitutionalization is an idea that comes and goes every few decades.

I also remember quite clearly how demoralized and dispirited America as a whole felt after Carter's presidency. If you weren't around during the "Energy Crisis" with its massive lines waiting to fuel up your car, well you just haven't lived! Not to mention having a bunch of Americans held hostage for well over a year, which was just one of many embarrassing and humbling occurrences just prior to Reagan's entering office. I well remember how most folks felt when Reagan came onto the scene and the hostages were almost immediately released! (never mind how. :/ ) There was a renewed feeling of pride in the hearts of a majority of folk, who felt America had regained what had been lost in prestige and power - probably a lot like Russians feel about Putin. (Remember, we were also still smarting over the Vietnam War, as the Russians had been also about Afghanistan.)

There were many bad and unsavory things too, of course, but they didn't happen, or at least come to light, until later in RR's presidency. And, man, did he have the clanking balls. Summarily eliminating the jobs of 11,345 air traffic controllers was just one of his gutsy, if draconian moves - this in light of the fact that PATCO, the relevant union, had supported RR for president!

But I don't have rose-colored glasses on for those years, at least not for RR. For a guy who used to be a Democrat and a union man, at that, some of the things he did are hard to understand. At the time, though, I can see why he was elected twice. If it weren't for Carter, there would have been no Reagan.

Leaving the political and entering the entertainment area, yeah, computers sucked. They even sucked at the time when we didn't know any better. As for music, most of it is forgettable (at least to those of us who remember the '60s.) But I'll forgive the '80s for everything because it produced BILLY IDOL. :love: Michael Jackson's music wasn't half-bad either sometimes. :D

The '80s was the time I was first married and trying to settle into marital life. The '70 dance hall craze was coming to an end, but I was holding on with both hands (and feet.) Man, it was fun! I thought I was HAWT, and I daresay a wide swath of the male population did too. :D

Movies were pretty damn good, as mentioned upthread. Back to the Future! The Princess Bride!! Blade Runner!!! (that one's for Theda Baratheon) The Terminator!!!! AND... my favorite... ALIENS!!!!!11 And the Indiana Jones franchise.

TV wasn't bad either. I remember "Moonlighting" coming on the scene with a brand new star named Bruce Willis. And he had hair! Mash. Cheers, where everyone knew your name. Family Ties. Who's the Boss? Cosby Show (never mind how THAT one's been ruined,) WKRP in Cincinnati (while I was living in Cincinnati,) Lou Grant, 60 MINUTES! (in its heyday) LA Law, Black Adder, were some of my favorites. And "At the Movies" with Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert was a show I often think about and wish were still on the air (with both hosts still around.)

The '80s was the decade I traveled the most. I didn't have a really responsible job yet, so I could take off with my husband on his business trips whenever the opportunity presented itself. We traveled to Puerto Rico, Hawaii, British Virgin Islands, and many more - and stayed all expenses paid at the very finest resorts. I'm proud to say I took full advantage. :D

All in all, the '80s were a pretty good time for me, but I wouldn't trade the technology of today for anything! I used to have to pull off the road to use a pay phone to call for my court jobs in L.A. What a PITA!

I can't speak to the cartoons on TV during that time. Whenever I caught any of them, I would just scoff and think, "Poor kids of today! They aren't growing up with Bugs Bunny or The Bullwinkle Show!" I love those shows to this day.

Kids were bullies and got bullied back then. It was a lot tougher because if you got out of line the kids would beat the crap out of you. I remember getting into fights occasionally when i was a kid. I look back on it now with mixed emotions. It helped mold me in some ways but I also recall that awful feeling in the pit of my stomach when i knew that the neighborhood tough guy had his sites set on me. I cant speak for girls but growing up in a neighborhood full of boys was tough. We were often out in the woods on our own.

Changing topics - one thing that the 80's had that was awesome was packs of dogs roaming the neighborhood. Almost no one kept their dog on leashes when i was a kid. That started happening in the later 80's but for the most part you just had to be aware that vicious dogs could be lurking around corners or in neighbors backyards. I remember getting chased by dogs all the time when i had my paper route.

Come to New Orleans, there are packs of dogs in every neighborhood. Feral cat colonies too

Me?

Yes you! Share!

Portland was soooooooooo over by 1990. I had to move to New Orleans.

Drawk nailed it.

My parents were very strict about video games. Dad loved them and we got the Commodore 64 instead of an atari because it was an "educational tool". Mum's rule was that we could only play the games we programmed ourselves. So we got a subscription to Compute! magazine. We had to retype all that damn code from the games they published. All the neighborhood mums had the same rule, so the dads had a secret game trading network. Big Floppy disks that were as finicky as the records played.

"Free Range parenting" (or being a parent and letting your kids have a damn life of their own) was standard practice. We were everywhere. There were rules, the neighbors called mum if we broke them. When we got caught, the wooden spoon was liberally applied to the appropriate backside. I remember making "flat pennies" at the train tracks by the freeway, walking a mile or more to the bus to get to school, and getting hassled by perverts who didn't understand public transportation. Yes, public transportation means people stand on street corners who are NOT actually trying to sell their body. My hometown was one of the first cities to try this experiment in mass transit, hence the confusion.

I remember pre-Reagan marijuana gardens at my friends houses. Places where crushing the tomatoes while playing ball (any kind) meant fun over and everyone goes home. Ruining the "Special garden" meant you won't sit down for a month and there's a phone call home.

Our neighborhood used calling or whistles. Anyone else's mum use a whistle? I had one pal who lived about 2 blocks from the more popular play spots, so she used different whistle calls so my best friend could hear her. We teased her about it.

Instead of phone I had a curfew after school. If I was ten minutes late for that I was grounded for 3 weeks. Mum called the landline. If I didn't answer, she knew I wasn't "in the bathroom".

I had charge of my little sister all the time she wasn't in school while my parents worked. I was a terrible babysitter. I took her just everywhere with me in my teens. She remembers these years as being really magical and fun. I only remember the days that Things Went Horribly Awry. As a result, my sister and I have secrets. She told me things after some of these adventures that I'll never EVER tell another soul. The secrets of a 6 and seven and 10 and 11 year old are just as precious as the secrets of an adult.

That freedom gave us a little piece of heaven and responsibility to one another that I don't see in "kids these days" who spend all their time supervised by adults.

Mixed tapes. The best gift for your friends ever.

There were health clinics in public schools that did STD testing and prescribed birth control methods. Nurses working in public schools. Once upon a time we actually cared about our children's health and budgeted accordingly. ZOMG, that was actually a job for a nurse who liked working with teenagers, wanted a teaching schedule and was really good at putting out fires without making a big fuss.

Music: 90's grunge sucked. It was terrible. The worst. My sister and I are different generations and that is defined by a thousand small things. #1 is music. She loved that shit.

80's pop will always stand up to my test of time. "Will I clean the house if I listen to this?" Yes. It gets me off my ass and vaccuming everytime. Only L'amour could get me to touch that foul appliance.

Will I always cry if I hear this song?

Yes. As a 15 year old and also as the mum of one.

Edit: TTOL,

I remember being in gas lines. Thursday was the day we were allowed to go, I was born in '75. We had rules by some sticker or birthday, I was really young and only remember the big stink about "who's turn".

Mum was a real activist and I mostly remember the appearance of bag-ladies to Reagan because mum was always going to bat for our State Hospital. She blamed Reagan that it was even an issue.

My Bad. There was a 100% correlation between the appearance of schizophrenic homeless in Portland and the shutdown of the State Hospitals. Mum works with drug-resistant TB patients now. The fallout of that stupid, stupid stupid policy 30 years later.

I'm '82, so my memories are limited. Fraggle Rock, Sesame Street, Duck Tales, The Wombles, and Sooty were my TV viewing. VHS was amazing (imagine being able to watch the same programmes over and over again! Which in our family meant lots of old re-runs of the Seoul Olympics, and aid concerts for Africa). TV didn't go 24 hours - there was a closedown period, with Goodnight Kiwi.

Politics-wise, I remember when our Prime Minister David Lange quit in August 1989, because I drew a felt-tipped pen drawing of the Beehive (the seat of the NZ Government). I used to draw everything back then. Having a Scottish father meant that I was aware of a folk devil named Margaret Thatcher who took milk from children.

Oh yes, and I remember thinking the All Blacks never lost rugby matches (this would be the 1986-1990 unbeaten streak).

I can't speak to the cartoons on TV during that time. Whenever I caught any of them, I would just scoff and think, "Poor kids of today! They aren't growing up with Bugs Bunny or The Bullwinkle Show!" I love those shows to this day.

I remember growing up with Bugs Bunny and the Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, Woody Woodpecker, Popeye, The Pink Panther, The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, plus all the classic Hanna Barbera limited animation cartoons. Not to mention all the Disney cartoon shorts, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, Pluto.

I remember thinking these were good (not as crazy about the Hanna Barbera ones) but that they had always been around and always would be around. These were the cartoons I watched when the "cool" cartoons weren't on.

It's only as an adult I've come to appreciate how amazing and wonderful these cartoons are and were actually the best cartoons, especially the Looney Tunes.

I remember my very first afternoon TV schedule, but technically this was in the 70's. My grandmother lived with us and she watched game shows all morning, then soap operas in the afternoon. General Hospital was the last one on, when that was over at 4pm she'd usually go take a nap and I got to watch the big TV* in the family room. So at 4 I'd watch The Flintstones, then switch to PBS for Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, Seseme Street, and Electric Company. The episodes of Seseme Street I watched in those days probably would have the parental disclaimer on them if shown today like all the Seseme Street "Old School" DVD's do.

*The big TV was the 25 inch cabinet floor model every middle class suburban family had. With the top as big as a kitchen table you could fit an entire entertainment center on top of and the sweet spot that whenever the TV was acting up when hit just right made it back to normal.

Some more movie memories...

I remember going to E.T. for a matinee and it being sold out, but it was ok because I had all ready seen it another time. I remember seeing Rocky IV in a theater that was full to capacity. I remember when the new movie theater opened up in the mall, how it was impressive that it had 6 screens, the most I'd ever seen in a multiplex before. When I went to see Tim Burton's Batman, I got there about 2 hours early and still there was a huge line. The movie theater was showing it on 2 screens too, which was something I had never seen happen with a movie before.

ETA:

Commercials from a 1980's Saturday Morning

i was also in my 30s...music was good to me lots of those listed already but a couple extras i don't think i saw - the dead kennedys, REM...and i admit i sing along (and freak the girls out) when Roam comes on the radio...

I came "of age" in the 80's (and I think I am the oldest person posting here so far.)

I graduated high school in 1983.

What was bad: the economy, the hair, the fashion, the Cold War (to live with this threat, on a daily basis is just insane)

What was good: rapidly advancing technology

Music, amazingly falls under both categories :lol:

For many years, I also suffered from Regan love. For me, it was because I was in the army, and he was all about improving the lives of soldiers. Gave us some much needed pay raises.

Of course, now I can see the much bigger pictures :)

LIke all times, there was both good and bad during the 80's

this was so true i did both hot and cold war...honestly, friend to friend Lany, i preferred getting shot at. at least i knew it would end and after first tour i knew how it would end...but cold war big frigging unknown...

The VCR came out in the late 70s but didn't see widespread use until the 80s. The VCR was a bigger deal to me than the PC in the 80s. All of a sudden you could pick out what you wanted to watch instead of just passively watching whatever was on TV or at the multiplex. And VHS (sorry betamax) boxes of the 80s were awesome. There are still some movies I regard nostalgically even though I haven't seen them just via my recollection of looking at the VHS cover.

i still have a working JVC four header just for my VHS original star trek collection...also acquired in the 80s (tapes in the 80s, vcr was new in 95)

Yes, I am ever so grateful that once I destroyed my diary and the photo negatives, I can be confident that evidence from these years has been destroyed.

:lol: me too...literally...

Can't add much, but...

I graduated High School in 1981, took classes at the community college for a few years afterwards, until my money ran out. Probably one of about three people who didn't take out a student loan - saw the writing on the wall, there.

my view, the music was mostly better than that of today (rock). Duran Duran, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Eurythmics, Twisted Sister, and a whole bunch of others.

Lots of awesome movies: Alien, Terminator, Back to the Future, Road Warrior, and so on. The trek movies, though, sucked.

After years of working on and off construction and oil company jobs with weeks to months between gigs, I accepted what was supposed to be a six month stint ferrying mail between post offices for far less pay, on the grounds that some income was better than no income, and toting mail was far less labor intensive than digging ditches. (For some reason, my other jobs seemed to involve lots of digging). That six month gig turned into an eleven year stint. I supplemented the low pay with other work in the summer and college in the winter.

On the broader scene...

The Cold War dominated everything. Entire sections of the economy were based on the cold war lasting pretty much forever. Politicians built careers out of opposing the communists - it was safe, it was expected, it got them votes. It dominated entertainment in movies and music. Almost NOBODY, at least at the 80's start, saw the cold war ending, except maybe in a thermonuclear apocalypse. It had lasted for upwards of thirty years by then, and it was pretty much assumed it would last for at least another thirty years. Then the east block collapsed. I remember coming home from work, turning on the news, and watching one communist puppet state after another simply up and collapse. The intelligence agencies seemed clueless. Politicians were bewildered. Defense cutbacks began, and with them, job cutbacks.

Reagan: Say what you will, Reagan was the 'Great Communicator.' He knew how to hold an audience, how to convince people. Maybe it was his career in acting. But there was a lot of bad things hidden behind that public persona: Iran-Contra, dirty wars and petty genocides in central America for the foreign stuff, and getting the whole 'greed is good' thing launched at home. The savings and loan crisis. Shoddy stock market manipulations. Families going from one income to two income yet nobody really noticing. Credit cards going from hard to get oddities (I was turned down for a credit card during this period despite a good job) to things used everyday.

Tech...we went from really cruddy personal computers that were more oddity than useful, to mass market pc's that were sort of useful. Email went from being a arcane curiosity to almost common - a cousin of mine co-wrote one of the original books explaining the inn's and out's of email during this period. Television: VHS tapes were awesome. There was a couple TV series I saw pretty much only because I recorded them.

And because of longstanding interest: the Space Shuttle, clunky though it was, was cool. But...by and large, the 80's marked the beginning of a long decline in space travel and exploration, which has only just started to turn around in the past few years. By now, according to the reckoning of the early 80's we were supposed to have an actual lunar base, and men were supposed to have walked on Mars. Not there yet.

Interesting to see what we remember. :)

Especially the children. :P

yeah...though princess' Mother says she remembers school house rock...most of history math and certain grammar jingles that she remembers to this day...conjunction junction, what's you function and three is a magic number ;)

Other stuff that's occurred to me - $1 and $2 notes, and 1 and 2 cent coins. I do remember the fall of the Berlin Wall, and then the TV footage of the fall of Ceaucescu in Romania - I just didn't realise the importance at the time (because, well, I was 7). We also had a Free Nelson Mandela bumper sticker on the family car.

I encountered my first school computer in 1990 (OK, not technically the 1980s, but close enough). I was in awe of it. Back in those days, floppy disks really were floppy, and the games (like Raft Away River) were awesome.

Speaking of school, my first school was a small one-teacher place in the rural West Coast (my mother was the local teacher). As part of the NZ educational reforms of the late 1980s, it and many like it were closed, so our family had to move. Again, I didn't understand the complexities at the time, just that we were moving.

In rural Germany with parents who mostly enforced a rather strict TV regime there was not nearly as much pop culture as in typical (American) households it seems. We never had a VCR and until 88 only an old b/w TV (which was rather unusual I admit). What I agree on was that kids roamed more or less freely through the countryside. We also did things for fun that seem rather dangerous and violent in hindsight, like vigorous fencing with wooden sticks. Probably because of sheltered childhood but overall the world felt safe to me, even with the cold war and later on Chernobyl and AIDS as "civil" threats. It was certainly prosperous for most middle class people although my family lived rather modest. Intercontinental flights were rare, people usually went to their holidays by car to the seaside, the alps or italy. I remember that when a friend's father who was a Bayer research chemist flew (probably more or less on business) to Vancouver for the World Fair this was something worth talking about, even for a upper middle class person considerably more affluent than my family was.The end of the Eastern bloc was completely unexpected for laypeople. Conservative history/geography teachers (who could have been supposed to support the hope expressed in the praeambula of the German Grundgesetz) did not believe that the status quo would ever change. In June 89 I went on a school trip to Berlin with the full control measures of the socialist state in place. We almost got delayed during transit because one classmate had a somewhat exotic name that was spelled differently on some list than on his passport. Teenagers became obsesses about brands and stuff but at least in only started with teenagers, not in primary school and one could opt out and hang out with different people. (I never cared for most of pop culture so I cannot say much about this.) The first computer we had was Commmodore Amiga in 89 or so and it was used mostly for gaming ;)

Come to New Orleans, there are packs of dogs in every neighborhood. Feral cat colonies too

New Orleans is on my bucket list for sure. Packs of roaming dogs makes it sound even cooler now :)

Having all the roaming dogs was awesome because my parents would never let me get one when I was a kid so I at least got to interact with dogs. Our neighbors used to go on two or three week long trips in the summer and they just left the dog outside. The guy would pay us to fill up the dog bowl with food he left inside the garage. We'd rotate taking him home every night even though the guy just figured he could sleep outside or in the garage. That never would happen nowadays. I barely know my neighbors now and everyone keeps the dogs on leashes. Heaven forbid one of the neighbors dogs craps on someone lawn.

Finally talked my parents into getting me one when I turned 14 :)

Having made contact again after more than 2 decades with my best childhood friend (so from first half of the 80s), I've been in quite a bit of 80s nostalgia trip the last couple of months. Being a wannabe-historian, I've even listed and dated movies, shows and video games I watched/played in my youth, just in case I end up completely senile and oblivious.

So, well, I agree with a lot of Drawcabi's points.

80s fashion was absolutely horrible. 70s were already, in their own way, but it was different in the 80s, they had their own distinctive brand of awful.

Materialism was obvious - mostly after the fact, when you consider it back decades later, since you can't really notice it and reflect on it when you're 9 years old.

On the other hand, there was good music. And music that's just so-so but that's embellished by nostalgia. But I won't say it nearly destroyed music. There was a significant decline since the mid-70s (that's coming from someone who considers the 1965-74 as the best "decade" ever).

Same with TV shows and cartoons (Miami Vice, Magnum PI, Shogun, A Team, Knight Rider, McGyver, MASK, Jayce, He-Man, Danger Mouse, Fraggle Rock and plenty others). Some were truly awesome and some mostly have nostalgia to go for them. And of course there was plenty of bad stuff, as always.

Same with the movies: some looked good at the time, some only looked good because we were kids/teens, some were truly good. But really, there are plenty to save and the action / adventure / entertainment / popcorn stuff was really ok - Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Goonies, Terminator, Aliens, Beverly Hills Cop, Predator, Conan, Highlander, The Thing (and Dark Crystal! - yeah, I was a kid then). Sure, don't ask me about serious and critically successful movies, because that's usually way above my age's appreciation level at the time :D

And of course, this is a decade that basically began with Star Wars stuff and Indiana Jones / Raiders.

As said, the coming of VHS was huge, because while earlier I watched recent movies 5-6 times a year at the theatre, then I watched them every 2 weeks (granted, 2-years old movies more than newly-released ones but still).

With music, CDs came a bit later than VHS for me, and considering the cost, it wasn't as huge at the time - the effects were more obvious if we consider the 90s as well.

And of course, computers. Or rather, Commodore-64 :D The 2nd half of the 80s was spent partly playing stuff that'd look awful nowadays, but that were amazing at the time. And the decade ended with the earth-shattering immortal glory of Sid Meier's Pirates!

Another big point has been made the previous page: parenting and far more freedom when doing kids' stuff.

Went walking to school all by myself since 5. We played outside fully unsupervised all afternoon long. We stayed at home, alone doing stuff or playing/watching TV with friends fully unsupervised. I shudder to think of what it would be like in today's context - that part would definitely be nightmarish by comparison, even if many other aspects would be as good or even better (tech-wise mostly).

Can't comment much on the political stuff of the early days because when you're 7/8, you just don't notice the Cold War - even if we weren't that far from the abyss at times. This changed in the 2nd half of the decade - growing older while having the 87 Wall Street crash, the attempted reform of USSR, and the final demise of the Eastern bloc, which was huge and incredible at the time, and will still be considered as one of the hugest if not the hugest event of the 2nd half of 20th century, even if people nowadays seem to forget or not realize how big that was.

All in all, every decade must look amazing when you're a kid, specially in a Western country where most would be pretty safe from war and other horrors. Specially when it comes to the childhood years when you're not yet into teen relationship drama ( :D ), the happy days when you don't fully understand the world and live for the day, oblivious of many things older people would fear, and therefore having plenty of good memories and quite fewer bad ones than in your later decades.

But the early 80s still could give you that fake feeling of progress - including technological progress, when you're 7, don't realize all this stuff is already over and nearly dead, and draw the solar system, pointing that we'll have a Moon base in the next 20 years and a Mars landing in 25 years; I'm not sure a 7-years old could fool himself with space exploration nowadays, and I'm not sure he would even be enthusiastic with the notion. Still, there was technological progress going on - though not the space conquest kind, a more mundane one with VHS, CD and computers; you could see it then, just as someone growing up during the 90s could see it with DVD and internet.

Hah. It was so much different from the other side of the iron curtain. The 80's started for me with the introducing the martial law in Poland in December 1981 (which meant mostly no favourite children's TV program all of a sudden and tanks on the streets of my city, which for a 7 year old kid I was back then was both dreadful and thrilling).

Then there was almost a decade of growing up in the grey, sad, ugly places, with empty stores and unpleasant people. We all regarded Reagan and Thatcher as the only hope for the eastern block.

And then 1989 came, Solidarity movement broke communism and the world I knew turned upside down. And is spinning ever since.

Spelling.

the music was great , the movies were iconic and Reagan was way better than anything we have had since , and this is coming from a man that grew up poor with seven siblings and single mother . All this bs about it being tough on the poor is garbage .We worked, we survived and didn't beg for help and we were better people for it .

You know what else is great about the 80s pop culture? Watching young ones discover it like it's new.

Little Jax loves his Transformers Rescue Bots. Loves them. But he's moving into more of those other Transformers stuff to. He found my DVD of the movie and he's now watched it like 15 times.

Archived