Preacher- AMC Comic Adaptation

Morpheus

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Cassidy was pretty badly off, perhaps the freshness of blood necessary to heal from a near death burning is greater than that which is needed to maintain an ordinary metabolic equilibrium. Though I would have thought a bit of the human variety would be needed in this situation.

He seemed to do ok on cow in the first episode and he was in a pretty bad way then, so human blood doesn't seem to be necessary. Freshness may well be a factor, though. But yeah, they're not as careful as they could be about the sunlight thing (the cow scene being a good example).

5 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Cassidy was pretty badly off, perhaps the freshness of blood necessary to heal from a near death burning is greater than that which is needed to maintain an ordinary metabolic equilibrium. Though I would have thought a bit of the human variety would be needed in this situation. When we're feeling well we can get by on McDonalds and Doritos, but when we're not well we need chicken soup and kale smoothies.

Are there continuity problems with Cassidy's vulnerability to sunlight? It seems in some scenes his skin is being lit directly by sunlight, but there is no effect, and in other scenes he's being burned by it.

They're going very much direct direct sunlight, as in if he can't see the sun he's good. Went back to the cow scene, he's mostly in the shade of a bush, and the lip of the crater he's made, but there are clearly bits of sunlight on him and he's not so much as smoking.

I thought the Donnie part showed his ignorance. Why do that when you could just put on headphones and blare them full blast?

As to the whole attack the church thing, going to have to accept this as a part of this tv world. I mean, these same people were in that church a week ago and were loving it and now they are standing by watching it be destroyed. Not done very well for my tastes. Same with Tulip. I never understood why she got the dog until the end, I mean, there are so many other ways to do that.

On 19/07/2016 at 5:32 PM, felice said:

He seemed to do ok on cow in the first episode and he was in a pretty bad way then, so human blood doesn't seem to be necessary. Freshness may well be a factor, though. But yeah, they're not as careful as they could be about the sunlight thing (the cow scene being a good example).

On 19/07/2016 at 9:29 PM, The BlackBear said:

They're going very much direct direct sunlight, as in if he can't see the sun he's good. Went back to the cow scene, he's mostly in the shade of a bush, and the lip of the crater he's made, but there are clearly bits of sunlight on him and he's not so much as smoking.

Indeed, a bit of direct sunlight on parts of his body variably causes him to burn, ref the scene where he's sitting outside under a porch roof then puts his had out into the sun and his hand starts burning.

On 19/07/2016 at 0:30 PM, dbunting said:

I thought the Donnie part showed his ignorance. Why do that when you could just put on headphones and blare them full blast?

As to the whole attack the church thing, going to have to accept this as a part of this tv world. I mean, these same people were in that church a week ago and were loving it and now they are standing by watching it be destroyed. Not done very well for my tastes. Same with Tulip. I never understood why she got the dog until the end, I mean, there are so many other ways to do that.

It shows how Donnie is far too direct. There's intelligence there but it's blunt so deafening yourself when you could just wear headphones was a nice bit of stupidity on his part.

I don't get Tulip's sacrifice at all - unless the dog was old or she's planning on leaving it just seemed harsh to do what she did.

The show suffered without Cassidy and overall the episode was a bit stretched out. The attack on the church was probably worth 10 mins of screentime.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I don't get Tulip's sacrifice at all - unless the dog was old or she's planning on leaving it just seemed harsh to do what she did.

I think she was giving it a bit of attention by way of apology for taking it to its death? A bit like a last meal before execution. The dog was going to be put down anyway.

1 hour ago, felice said:

I think she was giving it a bit of attention by way of apology for taking it to its death? A bit like a last meal before execution. The dog was going to be put down anyway.

I must have missed the part where it was going to be put down. not as harsh now.

9 hours ago, red snow said:

I must have missed the part where it was going to be put down. not as harsh now.

It wasn't explicitly stated, but the shelter owner did make it pretty clear that there were too many dogs and not enough people willing to adopt them, which left them with limited options.

On 7/18/2016 at 5:31 PM, GallowKnight said:

I did not see that Donnie fake-out coming, even though the "suicide" really seemed like it came out of the left field. Some nice creative thinking there by Donnie though. The whole stand-off with Quincannon was pretty good and so was the examination of Odin's backstory and motivations. The show version feels like a better character than the comic version, who is mostly just comically inept. The was some great humorous touches as well with all the people coming to watch the potential shoot-out. The shot-off-dick-joke was pretty bad though and felt kinda crass, although it does actually seem like something that Garth Ennis would write.

I like that they are starting to repair Jesse and making him see the errors of his ways and becoming a more likeable character. It'll be interesting to see if Eugene is in literal hell or just metaphorical hell. 

The part with Tulip and the good was equal parts good, sad and awful.

Comic Book Spoilers

Hide contents

I'm thinking that the Angels back-up plan is going to involve a certain Saint.

Yes, the Donnie fake-out was great. It's also doing a great job of what the comic did by showing ways people working around The Voice and showing how Jesse is indeed not all powerful with it. And conversely, the beating of the first group of Quincannon's men by Jesse shows what a natural badass he is without the use of Genesis, which is likely one reason Genesis survives in him to begin with.

As for the comic spoiler above--yeah, I think it's a sure bet we'll see you-know-who as the angel's last resort show up in the next episode. Now, I'm not sure if they'll save his confrontation with Jesse & the gang until the season finale or not, but it's definitely a confrontation we should see sooner rather than later.

And poor Eugene...[slight comic spoilers]

I like how they brought him back as Jesse conscious/inner voice. Once Saint of Killers shows up having John Wayne as Jesse's inner voice could get a little confusing for audiences. Plus, this connection to Eugene was set up really well thus far in the series and it makes more sense for Jesse to manifest Eugene. And, technically, in the comic we never get an explanation as to why John Wayne shows up, so making it Eugene also gives that same element of uncertainty--is Jesse really seeing the "real" Eugene or is he just a figment of his guilt riddled sub-conscious?

Ooooh, okay, she fed up the dog to Cass  !

Damn, that just came to me in a flash. I've seen the episode yesterday and didnt understand that last scene at all... just got it now ! 

Does this mean that Jesse left Cassidy out in the sun and didn't use the fire extinguisher on him?  

I love the show for how outrageous it is, but this last episode was a bit much.  This battle between the two men of gods lost something when the town began gathering on lawn chairs.  Then again, as I'm writing this, I'm wondering if maybe the hilarity of it all was the point.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Does this mean that Jesse left Cassidy out in the sun and didn't use the fire extinguisher on him?  

I love the show for how outrageous it is, but this last episode was a bit much.  This battle between the two men of gods lost something when the town began gathering on lawn chairs.  Then again, as I'm writing this, I'm wondering if maybe the hilarity of it all was the point.

It lost me at the same point. The same people who were there watching this, were there attending service just days before. Going for the over the top absurdity seems to be accurate.

9 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Does this mean that Jesse left Cassidy out in the sun and didn't use the fire extinguisher on him? ...

Good question, and one I'm hoping we get answered in the form of a scene in the next episode. My guess is Jesse used the extinguisher on him then dragged Cass into the shade and left him there then went back to the dinner table. That's when Tulip collected Cass' charred body and brought him back to her uncle's to recuperate. Tulip likely didn't know it was Cass' idea to step out in the sun willingly, so that's why she cursed him before feeding the dog to Cass back at her place. 

10 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Then again, as I'm writing this, I'm wondering if maybe the hilarity of it all was the point.

Yeah I think it's fair to assume a good portion of his congregation shows up every Sunday just for the spectacle of Jesse-as-preacher.  Those people would not miss a showdown between Odin and Jesse no matter who they were rootin' fer.  

Well that was certainly a somewhat unexpected heel-face turn by Emily, I did not see that coming. And it served to automatically kick her down towards the bottom of the sympathetic characters list. Sure, the mayor was a pretty awful guy all things considered, but you still shouldn't feed people to vampires. Emily' si going to have to pay for that. It's also a little strange that Jesse never seemed to question how the mayor ended up in Cassidy's room.

Tulip went back to that boring-ass Carlos story and I still don't care about that at all.

We also got a resolution to the old west bit and that part of they story is finally joining the main plot. The depiction of hell was nice but the repeating went on a bit too long.

It's is all set up nicely for a big show down though.

Comic-Book Spoilers

Spoiler

I'm not sure how I feel about the saint. It seems like he is not actually the angel of death in this version, but he more like an angry guy in hell who is just really good at killing people. Which is a bit of a disappointment, especially if he don't have all his "saintly abilities". I think he might be what does in for Annville rather than genesis though.

I am also really hoping that Annville is done in for and so that we can leave that behind and finally go on the road next season.

This episode really changed the show and how things were going. I had no knowledge of The Preacher before watching this series so I am a noob.

I had no clue what the western scenes had to do with the story, just thought maybe that school house in the old scenes was the church in the new scenes. Didn't expect it to be hell. And the repetition sequence was too long.

Emily feeding  the mayor to the vampire was absolutely unexpected, but as soon as she called him it was clear what her plan was. So if the preacher ever finds out, does he like her more or less? I guess we got some insight to her when she had sex with the mayor and reminded him he was just a tool for sex and to take care of her when she needs help.

I kind of liked that Tulip went back to her original plan. She saw Jesse was going to shit and decided to get herself in order, to me that was a good thing.

And we finally get the payoff that Jesse did use the fire extinguisher on him while he was burning.

BTW, did I miss it when the Sheriff is told, or has some evidence that Jesse killed his son, or was this off screen?

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

BTW, did I miss it when the Sheriff is told, or has some evidence that Jesse killed his son, or was this off screen?

I think its just that Jesse told him he "sent Eugene to hell".  

3 minutes ago, The Mance said:

I think its just that Jesse told him he "sent Eugene to hell".  

Ok, so that means he goes straight to prison? I guess we have to accept this as a part of the show.

Archived