Not a Blog: New Dunk & Egg titles

Rhaenys_Targaryen

I don't know if I want Dunk to ever be knighted; it would just be too amusing to know that Aegon V, and thus Barristan were never knights, since we don't know that who knighted Gerold Hightower and Arthur Dayne it is possible that their knighthoods (and thus Jaime's) would also be invalid.

Apparently he's considered the possibility of not releasing them chronologically, which I find somewhat baffling (unless as someone suggested there's something in She-Wolves he doesn't want us to know until later in the main series.) Can you imagine the reaction of it was announced tomorrow that A Dream of Spring would come out this fall and Winds sometime next year?

Also there might be something about Summerhall he feels he can't reveal yet because of the main series.

I agree that they should come in chronological order. If it is a choice between having only few D&E and getting to the end of having many of them without closure, I'd prefer the former. I want to see Egg and Dunk grow and become Aegon the Fifth and the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard respectively but I wouldn't mind if George did a bit more time skipping between the novellas. Just a few interesting and entertaining stories of the life of these two friends with a distinct closure is enough for me. Interesting not necessarily equaling to happening during major historical events.

The first mention of Dunk being a knight of the Kingsguard takes place in 236 AC during the Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion. I don't think that Dunk was a member of Maekar's KG, he would have had to guard Aerion...

He could have just been Egg's sworn sword as a KG.

I don't know if I want Dunk to ever be knighted; it would just be too amusing to know that Aegon V, and thus Barristan were never knights, since we don't know that who knighted Gerold Hightower and Arthur Dayne it is possible that their knighthoods (and thus Jaime's) would also be invalid.

I agree, I'd be a bit disappointed if Dunk got properly knighted in the end.

Or, She-Wolves is still giving trouble, leading him to consider not releasing them in order.

Also possible, though I would hope he's not even trying to work on it until Winds is done.

He could have just been Egg's sworn sword as a KG.

Basically a knight of the Kingsguard has to obey everyone who has royal blood. So there could have been circumstances, where Dunk would have had to take orders of Aerion. I think Dunk would have tried to avoid such a thing and joined the Kingsguard only after Aerion's death. He could have been the sworn sword of Egg without being a knight of the Kingsguard.

Dunk would never do that to Egg. Fake his knighthood is one thing, knight some stranger is another one. But Egg is not only his squire and protégé. He's his friend. Dunk would rather go and confess he was never a knight than harm Egg in any way.

Also possible, though I would hope he's not even trying to work on it until Winds is done.

He may work on it from time to time, he may even have a lot of it done. As a writer, I would assume that when an idea or moment comes to you, you write it down. Martin was working on another book when he started thrones.

He may work on it from time to time, he may even have a lot of it done. As a writer, I would assume that when an idea or moment comes to you, you write it down. Martin was working on another book when he started thrones.

True. Maybe he woke up one morning and was just inspired to write Village Hero and suddenly found was much closer to having that one done than She-Wolves.

Dunk would never do that to Egg. Fake his knighthood is one thing, knight some stranger is another one. But Egg is not only his squire and protégé. He's his friend. Dunk would rather go and confess he was never a knight than harm Egg in any way.

:agree: He'll figure out a way. He feels guilty about that lie but he's too deep now. He didn't want to knight the Fossoway guy bc he wasn't a knight himself, I highly doubt he'd be ok knighting his squire, a friggin Prince.

If Maekar had any say in the situation, he would have someone more prestigious that Dunk dub Egg as a knight.

:agree: He'll figure out a way.

If Maekar had any say in the situation, he would have someone more prestigious that Dunk dub Egg as a knight.

I was just about to bring Maekar to the conversation :lol:

See, Maekar is very much a protoStannis (or Maekar is based on Stannis?). He has his moments of stubbornness but he's, after all, a good man and he and Dunk have something in common: they both love Egg.

Stannis has been able to recognise Davos' true worth. He's common, he was a smuggler, but he's loyal and capable. Stannis would be lost without Davos. While that's not the dynamic between Maekar and Dunk, I think Maekar would be able to recognise that Dunk is in fact a good man who deserves his knighthood after all the things he will be through and come victorious, hence, pardon him and granting him a knighthood, in the same way Stannis made Davos a knight, a Lord and his Hand.

The She-Wolves of Winterfell

We know somewhat of the premise, as you posted in the OP.

The Village Hero

Could be that Dunk & Egg plan to seek shelter at Raventree Hall. During the course of the events, Egg first meets Betha Blackwood, he is smitten but nothing more comes of it at this time. Or The Village Hero could be later in the timeline, Egg is actually the Hero, not Dunk, and this is when he falls in Love with Betha.

The Sellsword: I think Dunk & Egg will cross paths with an exiled Westerosi Knight who is attempting to recruit sellswords just prior to the Third Blackfyre Rebellion.

The Champion: Depending on whether these titles are given chronologically or not, I could see this one being Dunk versus Lord Lyonel Baratheon. (I'll stick with your thoughts, this is what I was thinking as well)

The Kingsguard: Taking place shortly after the Peake Uprising, the story starts when Egg receives the summons by the great council. Being in line for King yet not crowned, the Kingsguard are sent to bring Egg to KL. During their trip from (was he Prince of Summerhall or Dragonstone at this time? Or did they reside at Raventree?) to KL, they were assaulted by Blackfyre supporters. Dunk proves himself to the Kingsguard who only treated him a hedge knight until then. Paving the way for him to become a KG.

The Lord Commander: Takes place during the Fourth Blackfyre Rebellion. The major event in the book is the Battle of Wendwater Bridge. Dunk kills Daemon, outshining all other Kingsguard. The current Lord Commander is gravely wounded during the battle but does not succumb to his wounds until weeks later. Story ends with Aegon appointing Dunk as LC.

The She-Wolves of Winterfell

We know somewhat of the premise, as you posted in the OP.

The Village Hero

During the course of the events, Egg first meets Betha Blackwood,

Given that we know from the World Book the name of the 'winning' She-Wolf (ie future Lady Stark to Beron's heir, Willam Stark and Ned's great-granny) to be a Melantha Blackwood, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Betha make her first appearance in the 'She-Wolves' probably as a rather sulky bridesmaid at her (I am hoping snobby elder sister) close relative's wedding. Yes I am hoping Melantha and Betha bear almost as uncanny personality resemblances to Melantha's future two Stark great-great grand daughters as Maekar does to Stannis!

Speaking of things we may get to see in these books, no one's mentioned the downfall of House Lothson. We know this happened while Maekar is king, and the wording used in the House Whent wiki "Lady Danelle Lothson went mad" sure makes me want to know more. I'm hoping her brief appearance from a distance I'm TMK is a clue that we'll be seeing more of her in the future just like I hope Dunks memories of fighting IB on ships is a clue that we'll get to see that up close in The Sellsword. If GRRM jumps around in time at any point otherwise that ship has already sailed pun def intended

I'm worried we wont even see half of these stories told unless George really starts to up this game as a writer. I mean The Winds of Winter should be his number one priority right now, but the side projects are really holding him back.

I just want some Summerhall Tragedy answers. the others take the rest of the d&e series, ASOIAF is my main. D&E's series, while still entertaining (Aerion was comedic gold), it lacks that certain... what is it im looking for.. scheming? it's less game of thronesy and MUCH more fantasy, am i saying it right?

it's like the hobbit to lord of the rings. while entertaining, it'll never be that particular magnitude of the other. you know?

ill still read them, every last one, for me though it isnt about dunk and egg though. for me i try seeing foreshadowing in the asoiaf timeline, representations that may manifest later. i did this for the blacks and greens novella.

but give me summerhall. i gotta know. theres a good chance we'll get the ghost making an appearance there, id be quite interested in what she has to say, and if she foreshadows many of the events to come in our timeline

I don't know about the others but I'm pretty sure that The Sellsword will focus on Dunk and Egg meeting Bittersteel during the Third Blackfyre Rebellion. After all Aegor is the leader of the Golden Company and works as a sellsword between the Blackfyre Rebellions. If it was some random sellsword guy I would be very suprised.

Archived