(Spoilers) HBO's True Detective Season 2

Mark Antony

They are probably setting him up as the really calm one, untill in a couple of episodes he has a disturbing villain moment to show that he's actually just as unhinged as the other characters.

It might make sense in the context that he appears to be a guy desperately trying to gain some legitimacy and acceptance by the upper crust. To have him have a boiling, violent underside could be there.

I liked it.

Different look and different feel, it really captures the underlying creepiness of an equivalent paradise.

Also liked Vaughan and his ability to play diverse characters.

Not by nature into dark tunes, but loved the singer.

It might make sense in the context that he appears to be a guy desperately trying to gain some legitimacy and acceptance by the upper crust. To have him have a boiling, violent underside could be there.

It's really what I would expect from a show that seems to go for over-the-top noir. Although, after Collin Farrell's ass pen scene, I'm very curious to see what Vince Vaugn is going to do to top that :p

Okay, finally got around to seeing the whole thing.

Meh.

The lack of interaction with the characters really hurts this. The first season's triumph was that it was a character study with the characters actually talking to each other as the primary way of exploring it. We learned their backstories through the interview - but also through each other. It was a natural, organic and effective way of showcasing these people, and it gave a lot of its power to the actors.

Here we're doing none of that. We get individual vignettes of meh that aren't particularly compelling and simply look slow. The framing of looking back on events isn't there either, so we don't have the immediate 'obviously this is important' kind of thing going on. The few times we have the main characters interacting is where this tends to do well - between Velcoro and VV, between Velcoro and his partner. Unfortunately we have way too much time of long staring at people doing fuck all to establish These People Kind of Suck.

We also don't have any anchors for us, the viewer. Hart acted as this in a way in the first season to the wackjob Cohle, and that contrast really worked. We knew Hart was also a fuckup, but he was still significantly more relateable. By comparison, we don't know and don't care why anyone other than Velcoro is such a fuckup, and even he's not entirely clear. Why is he still a detective? He's not particularly good at his job. He doesn't appear to care that much. He doesn't have interest in women, and he's not doing it for his son or his ex-wife or family. Why does he care? Same goes for the others; I don't have any clue right off the bat who these people are or why I should care, and as a result I'm not nearly as invested. There are some interesting facts here and there (her drinking, his burns) but that's all they are - facts. They aren't the human drama.

Velcoro is really, basically, it.

They are probably setting him up as the really calm one, untill in a couple of episodes he has a disturbing villain moment to show that he's actually just as unhinged as the other characters.

The Kingpin angle? I'm hoping VV's performance was meant to be underwhelming at first. I thought he was good at showing disdain over farrel necking by the quality drink (Although Mads has that market cornered in Hannibal). I also strongly suspect he was behind Farrel's wife's attack in some way. It'd be more of a pleasant surprise if he was genuinely innocent and killed the perpetrator as part of some code.

My take was that VV was in charge, although a guy at work was convinced VV was the murederd guy's underling. I thought it was the other way around?

I liked it.

I wish the show had a different name so we could move on from the needless and unfair comparisons to last season. You can't even make an analogous comparison to AHS because the cast is completely different and there is nothing in the plots tying seasons together.

It's True Detective in that there are police officers but after that it is the premiere episode of a single season story.

The Kingpin angle?

My Daredevilese is a bit rusty, so I'm not entirely sure what you're suggesting :) (unless Collin Farrel actually reprises his role as bullseye in this season of TD :p )

I'm hoping VV's performance was meant to be underwhelming at first. I thought he was good at showing disdain over farrel necking by the quality drink (Although Mads has that market cornered in Hannibal). I also strongly suspect he was behind Farrel's wife's attack in some way. It'd be more of a pleasant surprise if he was genuinely innocent and killed the perpetrator as part of some code.

My take was that VV was in charge, although a guy at work was convinced VV was the murederd guy's underling. I thought it was the other way around?

Euhm, I can be wrong about this but VV's character only informed Farrell's character on the whereabouts and identity of the perp. I don't think VV actually had the guy killed. I thought he let Farrell himself take care of that. I think VV's character is also definitely in charge. I don't think it would make a lot of sense for Farrell's character not to know who the major crime boss of the region is. The cops seem to know VV well enough.

As to VV being behind the attack, I could see that. It would definitely fit the huge villain moment reveal I think. Especially if he did it just to win some leverage over Farrel's character. However, so far I'm not really convinced yet :)

Am I the only one who thought that, when Colin Farrell's lawyer asked him if the guy who raped his wife had been caught, his long pause before asnwering "No" meant that he either found him and killed him or that, at the very least, there's more to that story that meets the eyes?

I read all these things that maid it look like this was awful 1st ep. I liked it. It did leave me asking questions, but so did most of the first season.

It laid out the players. The 3 main are cops that have giant problems that they might never get over, and drink too much because of it.

It set a back ground of what is going on.

What else was a first ep suppose to do?

This might be the only HBO show, that could be better on Netflix. It is kind of a binge watching show, that is slow to develop.

I liked it.

I wish the show had a different name so we could move on from the needless and unfair comparisons to last season.

Eh, I don't see anything wrong with the comparisons as long as they're not the basis of the criticism levelled against the show.

I hope we see a bit more from VV next episode, his acting so far seems more like he's just going along with it rather than actually bringing something substancial to the character. To be fair, he hasn't had that many scenes yet.

Also, I'd hate it if this was on Netflix. I like re-watching shows, especially ones like True Detective and Mad Men. I think it would suffer if it were on Netflix. Plus, it's so much harder to have a conversation about a show when it's released via the netflix model.

I'm glad that the TD thread is moving at a much slower pace than last year!

Still only one episode and a different page laid out in it. Just wait. It'll get rolling...

On further reflection of the episode, they did enough first time out that I'm hooked enough to see where it goes. So in that respect, the creators did something right.

Kinda wish this was set more in the late 40s/early 50 though.

I agree as to not getting to critical. It has only been one episode, which I liked.

I just talked to two separate coworkers who have just started watching Season 1, both said the first couple episodes have been so so. I encouraged them to watch more.

Goes to show how we can over react to things.

Am I the only one who thought that, when Colin Farrell's lawyer asked him if the guy who raped his wife had been caught, his long pause before answering "No" meant that he either found him and killed him or that, at the very least, there's more to that story that meets the eyes?

There is more than meets the eye. The rapist/father was in a motorcycle gang and was a board favorite from season 1. He is also dead and eaten by vultures.

Archived