Football XOXO: bring on the Silly Season!

Nas!

Great news although Blatter will still have several more months and presumably strike all kinds of deals to protect himself.

That's the end of Qatar 2022. I doubt it will derail Russia 2018, even though the sanctions for invading Ukraine should be enough by itself to force a change for that.

LOL @ Adam looking good on paper

I think it's a pretty excellent signing. Here's Pellegrini on Milner:

. I’m Milner’s No1 fan. Find me a more complete English player. There are players who’re better technically, yes. Quicker players, yes. Players who head better, yes. But show me one who does all the things Milner does well. There isn’t one.

“It’s hard to leave him out. Respect, commitment and performance level: 10/10, fantastic. He’s polyfunctional: full-back – the only position he doesn’t like – attacking midfield, wide. I played him as a forward and the team averaged three goals a game. He gives everything. You leave him on the bench and he’s absolutely furious but watch him during the game: encouraging, shouting, supporting. And in the next training session he kills himself.

“Milner’s a phenomenon, a guy with big balls and a heart this big,” Pellegrini continues, opening out his hands. “Intelligent, great mentality, one of those players that when you leave him out you’re left with this feeling of injustice; it hurts because he should always play but sometimes you need a technical player with other characteristics. I hope he stays. If he doesn’t it will be because there’s an important offer

Say what you will, but Adam had a great season at Blackpool before joining Liverpool.

As did quite a few of Liverpool's signings that turned out to be not so good, to say the least.

I don't know what to think of this signing.

On paper, it looks great! On the other hand, so did Lallana, Lovren, Adam, Downing, JOHNSON etc.

Milner at a higher standard than all of those and has the winning mentality (and the medals to go with it) which Liverpool clearly need. Proper bargain for the Scousers and he'll do very well there. He is technically excellent, inventive, hard working and has a goal in him when the going gets tough. Sad to see him leave but it feels like the right time to part ways. Also I'm not sure the £165k per week, 4 year deal City offered him to try and keep him in Manchester would be good value.

I like Milner and he's probably very good for Liverpool though I'm not sure how much difference he will make but it's a good signing. I would have liked him at Arsenal but he never would have played.

Milner at a higher standard than all of those and has the winning mentality (and the medals to go with it) which Liverpool clearly need. Proper bargain for the Scousers and he'll do very well there. He is technically excellent, inventive, hard working and has a goal in him when the going gets tough. Sad to see him leave but it feels like the right time to part ways. Also I'm not sure the £165k per week, 4 year deal City offered him to try and keep him in Manchester would be good value.

Hey, I hope he turns out to be the missing piece Liverpool needs to get back to their old ways of winning titles regularly.

If that turns out to be the case, there will be few people happier than me.

He definitely has the potential to be the major step in that direction, now we just need to wait and see.

Hey, I hope he turns out to be the missing piece Liverpool needs to get back to their old ways of winning titles regularly.

He definitely has the potential to be the major step in that direction, now we just need to wait and see.

You still need to find someone who can actually score goals. Milner will definitely help the midfield though.

Crazy numbers, but I guess you have to offer that kind of money when you're fighting against the prospect of big signing bonuses.

City offered him it because he's genuinely valued at the club rather than the signing bonus thing. We've offered him contracts for two years but cant guarantee him time in the middle which is what he wants so... he's off. Would take a lot to convince me that Milner is after money anywhere. He's stated consistently it's about the football and Rodgers must have given him some assurances.

You still need to find someone who can actually score goals. Milner will definitely help the midfield though.

Yes to both of these

I'm really not sure what the point of Liverpool signing basically a 29-year-old version of Jordan Henderson is when the already have the younger version. Yeah, he can play on the wing, but I don't think he's really going to, since they don't really play with wingers very often - it's either wing-backs or outright wide-forwards.

Basically a midfield of Can, Henderson and Milner is solid and tough to beat but it wouldn't scare anyone and a team of Liverpool's supposed ambitions should be looking to scare you.

Alex,

I didn't mean that Jim was after money, just that a club would feel obliged to offer more anyway given the situation.

Yeah I know what you meant. Sorry if I wasn't clear!

To be honest, I'd prefer a significantly improved defense.

Of course, I would definitely jump on board with a great striker joining the club.

There's no such thing as a team with too many Hendersons in it!

Is this the new "We all dream of a team of Carraghers"? :)

Archived