Rant and Rave without Repercussion [Book Spoilers]

Chebyshov

This thread moves so fast, so don't know if it has been posted yet: It's a video from the guys that made the lightsaber version of Oberyn vs Mountain last year:

Jon Snow VS White Walker Lightsaber + Army of Darkness

https://youtu.be/HcNoB4O9Mg8

I have tears in my eyes XD

The Thriller bit has me crying.

Yea I thought they'd be an icier sort of Richard Morgans dwenda: almost human-looking but just slightly wrong.

Ooh, Dwenda! Nice comparison, not one I ever thought of before. I like it

OMG, imagine a conversation between Obara and Dany.

"I'm Daenerys Storborn of House Targaryen, of the blood of old Valyria, rightful heir to the Iron Throne, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, the Rhoynar, and the First Men. I am the Mother of Dragons, the Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, and Breaker of Chains"

"I'm Obara Sand. When I was a little girl, my father Oberyn Martell made me choose..."

At least it's Not Dany and Tyene.

"I am Daenerys Stormborn, of House Targaryen, of the blood of-"

"Tell me I'm pretty!"https://33.media.tumblr.com/2c3671658e14811bb1e906022034ade8/tumblr_mh1gkd8jch1qa05v7o1_500.gif

I'm totally starting a campaign for a Keisha Castle Hughs and Emelia scene for next season. That has to happen. The potential for such a meeting is endless.

Heavens... It would be...

"I am Obara Sand, daughter of Red Viper of Dorne, whom do you serve?"

"Where are my dragons?"

The level of charisma there would be great :)

My main problem with that scene wasn't so much the dialogue as the acting. Both Clarke and Dinklage looked like with zero energy, they were just dead and had zero chemistry. I don't know what I expected, but in the books Tyrion and Dany are two of the most impulsive characters so I imagined their encounter to be more explosive, more dynamic, I don't know, Tyrion being the sarcastic ass he is and Dany threatening to go all fire and blood on him.

Instead we got two old ladies peacefully reminiscing over crackers and tea.

I imagined this scene to be memorable. Like you know, those memorable dialogues from BB, MM, Sopranos which you remember years after the show. This was so forgettable that you actually forget it ever happened by the time "Walking dead" crossed-over with Game of Thrones.

Well, season 1 did have an example of good sexposition scene (Viserys and Doreah in the bathtub) but it also had the example of worst possible sexposition - "play with her ass". Gods, that was embarrassing. Even the exposition part was awful, it was the beginning of show LF being a moustache twirling and obvious villain.

Yes, it was, in itself and in the "prostitutes love their work" - which is far too frequent a trope in this series.

GRRM throwing the shade is strong in that article. The article's writer(s) are likely too dense to see whats going on there. But GRRM's statements help quell the horseshit i keep hearing about "GRRM is sexist! Otherwise he wouldnt write this like this!"

Im sure when the show is done with its run, he will feel more at ease to breathe the actual fire about how the adaptation twisted his own reasoning.

I hope so.

Most of all, I hope all this hype about D&D's characterisation 'being better' (not) doesn't affect his story-telling, which is far superior.

Well, I have good news... The Book Snob Glossary has been revised and updated once again!

If you’re wondering where Winterhell is, or who Grandpa Sparrow is, or curious about the 600 Mask Effect, we have you covered!

\o/

This thread moves so fast, so don't know if it has been posted yet: It's a video from the guys that made the lightsaber version of Oberyn vs Mountain last year:

Jon Snow VS White Walker Lightsaber + Army of Darkness

https://youtu.be/HcNoB4O9Mg8

I have tears in my eyes XD

That is golden. (Jon Snow flinching at the Thriller reveal is just priceless.)

"I'm Daenerys Storborn of House Targaryen, of the blood of old Valyria, rightful heir to the Iron Throne, Queen of the Seven Kingdoms, the Rhoynar, and the First Men. I am the Mother of Dragons, the Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, the Unburnt, and Breaker of Chains"

"I'm Obara Sand. When I was a little girl, my father Oberyn Martell made me choose..."

:lmao: :bowdown:

Yeah, pretty peeved about that quote.

It was interesting he mentioned science fiction, I'm not a big lover of the genre, but I always felt new Battlestar Galactica was pretty egalitarian, even down to 4 of the 7 top billed cast being female. But we are certainly not in a egalitarian society now.

And when he talks about Disney-Middle Ages, does anyone else think of Ken Follett, Pillars of the Earth? ASOIAF is fantasy with more historical accuracy than this book he apparently spent 10 years researching. (Did Ding and Dong learn female characterisation from him?)

Anyway, hate it when a quote from the author is juxtaposed with clap-trap in an attempt to give it credence.

:agree: You're right - that is absolutely what they are trying to do.

I've seen people wondering whether St. Tyrion will be the one to suss out Jon's parentage as he talks with Dany.

This is going to happen in the show, isn't it? *sigh*

Ah yes, he's just going to be more and more fabulous, and every character will honor him, except evil Jaime, who wants to split him in two, even though the sainted one trusts him.

I know that the comments in this thread are supposed to go without repercussion, so I'll ask this in the nicest way possible:

What was so awful about Dany and Tyrion's dialogue?

Yes, it was on the fanfic-y side of things. Yes, Clarke's not necessarily Meryl Streep. And yes, the "break the wheel" speech is trailer-bait that makes little to no sense but people are acting like all conversations on this show should be substantial or - as Elio and Linda implied - that they should carry dramatic weight.

Don't you think the conversation where Daenerys decides to make a complete stranger and presumptive enemy her chief advisor kinda needed to have some substance?

At this point I can't even say the story is contrived because there is no story. Tyrion becomes Dany's advisor because, as the authors themselves will happily tell you, they wanted it to happen. Period.

Don't you think the conversation where Daenerys decides to make a complete stranger and presumptive enemy her chief advisor kinda needed to have some substance?

At this point I can't even say the story is contrived because there is no story. Tyrion becomes Dany's advisor because, as the authors themselves will happily tell you, they wanted it to happen. Period.

Damn, was Tyrion again made a Hand, a Hand of Queen this episode??? Again, I must have seen a broken version of the show because I remember nothing of Tyrion being made anything like that. But I really want to see a version of the show where he IS being made a chief advisor. I hope there was a ceremony of sorts, too.

I know that the comments in this thread are supposed to go without repercussion, so I'll ask this in the nicest way possible:

What was so awful about Dany and Tyrion's dialogue?

Yes, it was on the fanfic-y side of things. Yes, Clarke's not necessarily Meryl Streep. And yes, the "break the wheel" speech is trailer-bait that makes little to no sense but people are acting like all conversations on this show should be substantial or - as Elio and Linda implied - that they should carry dramatic weight. On that note, I would hate to know that Elio and Linda would think of My Dinner With Andre: a movie with no major conflicts and a movie that relies entirely on the intrigue of what two characters think and discuss over a dinner table. What keeps the audience invested is not the drama but the wit of their speech and what the film's central characters reveal about themselves and their experiences.

In a similar manner, Dany and Tyrion's exchanges worked because as they were introducing themselves, they were reminding viewers of their personal goals (which can be easily forgotten amidst the busy plotting of the season thus far) while also contrasting their perspectives on the game of thrones: while Tyrion preaches safe pragmatism, Dany touts risky heroism. Despite whatever contrivances that got these two characters together in a room, I found their dialogue to be perfectly suitable and well executed; just calling the conversations "stupid" or "awful" barely helps me look at the episode in a different light.

I would say that in the limited time they have to tell this story, yes every scene should have substance. Especially scenes involving two of the most important characters of the show meeting for the first time. GoT is not My Dinner With Andre. It's supposed to be a tightly plotted fantasy political thriller, with a lot to pack into every episode. This scene really tells us little we don't already no. And there's no dramatic weight to it because Dany really doesn't need advising on anything at this point. She's won. The Sons of the Harpy have stopped, there's no plague, no impending war with half of Essos. It's just painfully obvious that D+D wanted to fast forward to Dany and Tyrion meeting, but instead of the hopefully dramatic meeting they will have in the books, Tyrion just pops up one day to say hi.

And the acting is honestly just wooden. It cannot even be enjoyed on the level of the Arya/Tywin scenes, which added little to the plot but are at least fun to watch. Dinklage has been phoning it in since season 3 (and I can't blame him, he's been given nothing to work with) and Emilia Clarke is just not a great actor. I like her well enough, but to be honest I think it was a huge mistake to cast anyone other than a stellar actor for the role of Daenerys. This steely, deadpan recitation of platitudes act she's had going for the past three years just isn't working.

I haven't figured out the multi quote feature yet, so...

That's hilarious! All their enemies would die of boredom or embarrassment.

just came to realize that Olly and oliver queen has some parallels

both lost their parents and good with bow and arrow ..and gonna kill their mentor

i am picturing a scene where jon is surrounded by the mutineers jon takes his sword to fight them but an arrow pierces him and jon with a shock sees where the arrow came from and there stands olly lowering his bow and saying "forgive me" while tears ran down from his cheeks

just came to realize that Olly and oliver queen has some parallels

both lost their parents and good with bow and arrow ..and gonna kill their mentor

i am picturing a scene where jon is surrounded by the mutineers jon takes his sword to fight them but an arrow pierces him and jon with a shock sees where the arrow came from and there stands olly lowering his bow and saying "forgive me" while tears ran down from his cheeks

Lulz, yes.

D&D were like "oh, GRRM put batman in the books, (house lothstan or whent, take your pick) wouldn't it be cool if we put oliver queen in the show!!!! :DDDDD, but like, he's a kid yes. This is perfect, because it fits creatively with what we want to happen."

Again, the problem with Tyrion and Dany meeting is that they are relying on the climax rather than the anticipation.

For example, look at any kind of sport match. When is the moment when people start getting on their feet? It's not when one of the players scores. Is when they are on the way to score and it's very obvious they will do it. The final score is just a celebration, but the running of the player to the goal, is what make people start screaming and cheering, whether the player manages to score or not. In narrative, it's the same: the anticipation makes the reader interested. The "how will he's doing it?" or "will she or will she not?".

I accept one flaw of the book five is that they have been delaying the anticipation too much. But HBO's mistake is that they suffer from a very severe case of premature ejaculation. Tyrion and Dany meeting right now is like coming when you're just unzipping your pants.

(ETA: I was replying this to someone, I can't find the post, sorry!)

Archived