(Book Spoilers)PSA: Regarding E09's controversial moment. It was GRRM's idea.

Snark88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfLScJVXBHQ&feature=youtu.be&t=1m33s

Confirmed. DnD are not out to get book readers or Stannis fans. If you're gravely upset at the fate of Shireen, be mad at George.

It's unclear whether Stannis orders it or not, though. This doesn't prove anything, just that Shireen is burnt alive. Melisandre could easily do that at The Wall while Stannis is away and unaware.

Do you actually see people being OK with happened to Shireen? Even the book purists (and the producers obviously have, or at least believe to have, GRRM's blessing on this one) are angry and frustrated. No one considers this to be OK, so playing "why you whined about Sansa's rape, it is not that bad" argument is borderline misogynist BS.

Again, just because someone got worse, doesn't mean someone else didn't get bad.

You choose to offend fellow posters? Go ahead if you find fictional characters important enough to forget manners towards real living people over them.

You are simplifying.

Being "not ok" with a beloved character dying in a cruel manner does not at all mean to disapprove of the storyline written that way. Just like certainly no one said that "Sansa's rape was not bad" even if quite a few people defended the story turn the show had chosen.

"Misogynist" is a nonsense word here since Sireen is a young girl just like Sansa. And Sansa will have some show and book story ahead of her while Shireen won't.

I don't necessarily think it's out of character for Stannis to burn Shireen. He wanted to burn Edric and he's never really showed any evidence of humanity or compassion.

My problems with it are logistical ones.

1. Burning your only heir when your wife is basically infertile seems extraordinarily short-sighted

2. The people of Westeros will never accept him as their king after this

3. For someone who seems to value honour and the rule of law it doesn't quite make sense

I don't necessarily think it's out of character for Stannis to burn Shireen. He wanted to burn Edric and he's never really showed any evidence of humanity or compassion.

1. Burning your only heir when your wife is basically infertile seems extraordinarily short-sighted

3. For someone who seems to value honour and the rule of law it doesn't quite make sense

The people of Westeros wouldn't accept him regardless if he burned his daughter or not. He was already viewed as a kinslayer.

I must give Stannis and his fans that: maybe he is by now more or less beyond his personal kingship but in his deluded way believes to indeed sacrifice his child for a bigger cause where having a personal heir will be of no point any longer. Which does jot make him or Melisandre any less deluded.

And I loved the sudden switch in characterization about Selyse. This was actually absolutely realistic and not a show mistake.

Not a Stannis fan, but i threw up in my mouth watching this episode. GRRM on amazon where they are shilling his books writes "the closest thing to a hero in these books is Stannis, etc etc". GRRM just last season went on fuckingn tv and said "stannis is saving the realm to become king" and not 8 episodes later has this dude burn his only daughter alive because of a little snow flurry, and his soldiers getting the sniffles.

Its going to be like pulling teeth reading TWOW now. Oh yay, another Theon chapter, woopee, be still my beating heart. Choice between the child burner and the child skinner, yay. What original storeytelling GRRM. Not like the readers should actually enjoy reading and all that.

So now we have to root for Dany and Tyrion, as D&D shove their shit down our throats. I know what i'm cheering for next season. A snow avalanche in Santa Fe, NM. Thats what. Fuck these books

In a land of dumb posts, the dumbest shall be king. you win. yeay!

Stannis was at his most badass in the recent Winds teaser, far away from Davos and it has little to do with Daenerys. He's just an entertaining personality. And we're not going anywhere.

In his TWOW chapter, Stannis seems to have a plan for defeating Ramsay that doesn't involve burning his own daughter, or anyone else ("a warm end" is planned for Theon because he is thought to have murdered Bran and Rickon).

Book Stannis respects Melisandre, but she doesn't have anything like the hold over him that she has in the Show. And, she is nothing like as cruel and ruthless in the books, as in the Show. Burning alive is a terrible way to die, but those who die in the books do so for treason or cannibalism, not for refusal to worship R'hllor, or criticising Melisandre.

True, but some of the Northerners have already accepted him despite that. This would be one step too far.

The Notherners accepted him because they hated the Boltons and Freys more, don't be fooled to think they will still support him when Rickon or Bran will show up.

Literally everyone who speaks to you who has a view that is slightly different from yours, you will accuse them of doing exactly that.

Literally.

Everyone.

LOL... I haven't accused anyone... I just believe that playing "who got it worse" is inherently terrible thing and rarely done rationally. Again, people acan be disturbed by different things. Rape also disturbs people, burning children disturbs people etc. etc...

Not a Stannis fan, but i threw up in my mouth watching this episode. GRRM on amazon where they are shilling his books writes "the closest thing to a hero in these books is Stannis, etc etc". GRRM just last season went on fuckingn tv and said "stannis is saving the realm to become king" and not 8 episodes later has this dude burn his only daughter alive because of a little snow flurry, and his soldiers getting the sniffles.

Its going to be like pulling teeth reading TWOW now. Oh yay, another Theon chapter, woopee, be still my beating heart. Choice between the child burner and the child skinner, yay. What original storeytelling GRRM. Not like the readers should actually enjoy reading and all that.

So now we have to root for Dany and Tyrion, as D&D shove their shit down our throats. I know what i'm cheering for next season. A snow avalanche in Santa Fe, NM. Thats what. Fuck these books

Yeah, Burn the infidels!!! Ooops, one of them is God himself........

Seriously, this is so disgusting.

Could people please learn that Martin and the showmakers, contrary to their creations, are real existing people who can feel offended.

It's unclear whether Stannis orders it or not, though. This doesn't prove anything, just that Shireen is burnt alive. Melisandre could easily do that at The Wall while Stannis is away and unaware.

I wouldn't be surprised if Seylse, Shireen and Mel fled Castle Black after the Ides of Marsh and head south to Stannis though. There could be a lot of fighting when that happens, not the ideal place for women amongst a pack of rapists and wildings accustomed to stealing away women.

People assumed Mel would do the resurrection, I don't know why this is an assumption though.

In his TWOW chapter, Stannis seems to have a plan for defeating Ramsay that doesn't involve burning his own daughter, or anyone else ("a warm end" is planned for Theon because he is thought to have murdered Bran and Rickon).

Book Stannis respects Melisandre, but she doesn't have anything like the hold over him that she has in the Show. And, she is nothing like as cruel and ruthless in the books, as in the Show. Burning alive is a terrible way to die, but those who die in the books do so for treason or cannibalism, not for refusal to worship R'hllor, or criticising Melisandre.

But isn't that just because the books can afford to be more subtle and ambiguous about the relationship magic and humans really have in ASoIaF - ie: they really aren't compatible and can't co-exist, hence the wall and hobbits CotF, being kind of cranky and anti humanity, The show just has to be in your face about it - but the idea is consistent - it's humans or magic, pick your side and accept that magical humans will work against humanity as a whole.

The people of Westeros wouldn't accept him regardless if he burned his daughter or not. He was already viewed as a kinslayer.

The Notherners accepted him because they hated the Boltons and Freys more, don't be fooled to think they will still support him when Rickon or Bran will show up.

The only people who view him as a kingslayer are Brienne and a few others. To most of westeros, Renly's death was either unexplained or caused by Brienne (remember, Loras had been claiming it was Brienne up until the end of AFFC).

As to accepting him... Asha notes that while his lords and captains might doubt him, the common men believe in him.

Come on guys lay off a bit. Stannis was a serious role model for some people, including myself.

This reminds me of the Alester Florent scene. In the books we know he was burnt for treason.

But the cancerous TV show said he was burnt because he wouldn't follow The Lord of Light.

Im sure Shireen will die, Stannis won't be around to stop it, let alone carry it out himself.

They killed my favourite character (Stannis) for mere shock factor.

Archived