Football 3-3 (@ Fratton Park)

Zoë Sumra

Borini to Sunderland for 8m.  The caged lion is now free to maul defenders up and down the country.  Why could he not have just accepted this move last year?

Supposedly, United's fee for Martial will be financed by RM paying a stupid fee for DDG.  Perhaps that's a convenient fib to save Utd some face.

I watched most of the Seatte-Portland MLS game yesterday while I was in the gym.  Is that typical of the skill level?  It was pretty terrible.  The movement without the ball was amateurish and the pass (in)accuracy was very frustrating.  Aside from the sheer athletic capability of the players, some of the teams I've played on over the years would not be far off that level.

I've found that the average recreational player here received much better youth coaching than I ever had access to in Ireland, but the pro level seems to have a much lower level of technical coaching than the pro teams in Europe.  Coaching is much easier to copy than talent, so I wonder why the gap is so big.

Supposedly, United's fee for Martial will be financed by RM paying a stupid fee for DDG.  Perhaps that's a convenient fib to save Utd some face.

Quite a few reports seem to suggest we've drastically lowered our initial asking price, albeit with Navas as a makeweight, so I doubt it.

Quite a few reports seem to suggest we've drastically lowered our initial asking price, albeit with Navas as a makeweight, so I doubt it.

A few reports I've seen are suggesting a £29m fee plus Navas. If true, that would be a damn good deal for a player with less than a year remaining on his contract.

Who?

I believe it was in reference to this.

I watched most of the Seatte-Portland MLS game yesterday while I was in the gym.  Is that typical of the skill level?  It was pretty terrible.  The movement without the ball was amateurish and the pass (in)accuracy was very frustrating.  Aside from the sheer athletic capability of the players, some of the teams I've played on over the years would not be far off that level.

I've found that the average recreational player here received much better youth coaching than I ever had access to in Ireland, but the pro level seems to have a much lower level of technical coaching than the pro teams in Europe.  Coaching is much easier to copy than talent, so I wonder why the gap is so big.

I'm very surprised by the Januzaj move as well.

The reason for that is that he played well and frequently in pre-season and then again in regular season he played very regularly.

We also were looking to add to our range of strikers, and according to LvG Januzaj and Wilson were two of the 4 he had available.

So not sure at all why he of all people had to go. I mean it did look like he would get time this year. I'm sure he will as well at Dortmund so it may not be a bad move for him to be away from LvG, who more and more players are actively disliking.

What is harder to see is why it would be a logical move for United. Since they have also sold Hernandez and don't have new strikers lined up.

So......... I'm very disappointed with what is going on today. I see the team is finally bending to the Spanish masters' will as well and De Gea gets the premature move he desired. As did Di Maria. Everybody gets to leave. Except who's coming back? Navas, another no.2 goalkeeper. The same Navas who couldn't replace an unwanted Casillas last year at Madrid? Come on they are very happy to offload him. Makes me wonder who of Romero, Navas and possibly Valdes is actually going to play.

As for Martial, read an article on him on ESPN FC, seems like a talent who is one or two years away from contributing, so someone for the future who might "grow into a world beater". Was talking to a friend of mine today and he kept saying that this was all part of LvG's plan. Surely they have a big signing lined up man, otherwise they're not letting so many players go. I was pessimistic.

Re: Son at Leverkusen. I've seen him play and he is a decent player but definitely not the sort of guy who's really going to improve that Spurs team.

I expect him to do more poorly in the EPL than in the Bundesliga.

The Januzaj one is a baffler, I don't get it at all. He's not any more likely to play there, is he? I hope he doesn't leave at the end of it - I dunno if LVG would play him next season but after that he leaves and I'd like to see the next chap give him a go too.

Hernandez' move was sealed the moment he missed the penalty in the week. As much as I hate to see him go, he deserves to be somewhere where he'll get regular playing time, and I can see him banging them in for Leverkusen.

I've forgotten the rules, does playing in the qualis cup-tie him for European rounds proper?

Losing De Gea at the last gasp (if it happens, still not confirmed) is disappointing but 29mil plus Navas in return for a player on the last year of his contract is by no stretch of the imagination a bad deal. Navas is an excellent goalie.

The Januzaj loan does not make much sense to me. I was under the impression that he was going to play a bigger role this season. Initially when this news broke it was being reported that Dortmund would have an option to buy. Later reports say that there is no buy option in the loan agreement. Some other rumours surfacing -- which I hope are not true -- is that Wilson may go out on loan as well.

Calibandar - I think that it is unfair to refer to Navas as a #2 goalkeeper. He was brilliant in his last season at Levante, brilliant at the WC and thus far, in pre-season and two league matches, he has not put a foot wrong. He is definitely an upgrade over Romero and as far as shot stopping goes, he is just as good as De Gea.

Well let me say that I would love to be surprised by Navas, I'll take your word for it.

He was very good during the WC, but when I saw he couldn't even replace Casillas last year ( even though Madrid wanted to get rid of Casillas and did so at season's end) that dampened my enthusiasm about him.

Calibandar,

I guess this is not going to be an issue. Reading reports saying that the paperwork was sent through too late so De Gea and Navas will be staying put.

Window doesn't close until 6pm Tuesday this year though...?

Archived