Someone Trying to Scam Me!!! Requesting Advice

drawkcabi

This is a relatively common scam. Sometimes they sound more plausible than this one when the scammers have done their homework better. Contact the nephew to be sure, but 99% you should blow this off.

This happened to my grandma once.  Someone called claiming to be her grandson in jail needing help in Mexico.  It was a perfectly believable story in every way and she was all set to wire money until the point the caller pronounced her name incorrectly.  Not her first name, the grandma name she's called.  That was the only tell, a mispronounced vowel sound.  

I would try to connect your nephew on another way; and definitely contact the police because those people are (IMO) committing a crime. You might not the only one who they are trying to scam and some people are less skeptical than you and might believe this scam. 

I could see older grandparents falling for this easily.  Definitely file a report and provide the info from the caller ID.  And don't forget to contact the nephew about his privacy settings.

And about facebook in general, I have been on it for 7 years (maybe 8) and have not had a privacy issue related to it. (other annoying issues from time to time though ;) )

Your best option is to give me the money and let me deal with it. Forward the calls to me and I'll determine if they are legit. If they are not I'll send your money back. It's really the only way you can be sure. 

Most definitely a scam. My parents lost a substantial amount of money that way few years back, but the frauds had the luck of having a voice sounding really similar to my sister's. They didn't even need to know her name, because once the woman called, my father immediately said "oh, hello [my sister's name], what's up?". They were fuckin' smart and knew at least basics of psychology, but they won because of that damned voice.

This is extremely common in Poland, especially targetting the elderly. My grandma was targeted twice or three times (most recently she actually believed she was talking to my mother, luckily she went to the police where a policeman called my actual mum). My uncle's mother actually gave someone money.

There's another scam technique that I found out about recently. A family member was recently searching for a vehicle online, I think it was EBay. The ad was for an older model import, very economically priced ( first temptation to suck you in). The red flag was in the sellers story. They claimed they were on a military base and getting ready to ship out and that they could only accept payment within the next 48 hours ( you know cuz of the deployment n all). It was basically supposed to work out as a pay up front type thing, don't worry there's really a car, it's just we can't show it to you yet cuz ( you know base rules about us leaving n all).

Anyways  this email exchange went on for a few back and forths and the story just became quite unbelievable so I advised the family member that they were getting sucked into a scam. At first they didn't want to believe me ( people can get a bit desperate when they need a car ) but luckily my warning made them suspicious enough to ask more questions, and tada, eventually it clicked for them that the seller was attempting an EBay scam. 

There's another scam technique that I found out about recently. A family member was recently searching for a vehicle online, I think it was EBay. The ad was for an older model import, very economically priced ( first temptation to suck you in). The red flag was in the sellers story. They claimed they were on a military base and getting ready to ship out and that they could only accept payment within the next 48 hours ( you know cuz of the deployment n all). It was basically supposed to work out as a pay up front type thing, don't worry there's really a car, it's just we can't show it to you yet cuz ( you know base rules about us leaving n all).

Anyways  this email exchange went on for a few back and forths and the story just became quite unbelievable so I advised the family member that they were getting sucked into a scam. At first they didn't want to believe me ( people can get a bit desperate when they need a car ) but luckily my warning made them suspicious enough to ask more questions, and tada, eventually it clicked for them that the seller was attempting an EBay scam. 

I've seen a similar one on here while looking for a new place to rent on CL.  People look for houses for sale and then list them as for rent, say they've moved to do missionary work and decided to rent the place not sell it, so sorry there's a for-sale sign in the front yard.  Then they tell you to just mail a check and you can move in.  There are about 5 places within 5 miles of my house listed like this right now.  Here's one right here:

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/apa/5399213058.html

and the email I got back when I responded:

Hello Applicant,

We are pleased that you have an interest in our house, our lovely home is still available for lease and we want responsible adults/family that are neat and also believe that you have what it takes to take care of our house as if it were Yours. The main reason our house is up for lease is because I got transferred from my place of work here to  Illinois on a Missionary Work, to serve God and humanity. I work with First General Baptist Church here in Illinois. I initially had it up for sale but later had a change of mind after we thought it unwise to sell out this property in a perfect neighborhood as this one. Due to my urgent transfer we could not remove the for sale sign, and leaving the house empty is not a good idea for us so we allowed our Church members stay pending our return from  Illinois. After all we did for them not asking for any monthly rent,they turn me and my family down and did not keep to their promise. I and my family don't think we will be coming back to occupy my house. We will be very pleased if we can find the right potential tenant to rent our home, a person who is a clean & responsible  and does not tolerate  anything that has to do with dirt. we also would like to know more about you and your family, your renting experience and how long and when you plan moving into our home. The rent includes all utilities and close to all amenities. 

INCLUDED IN THE RENT: Cable , Kitchen completely equipped, Kettle - Toaster - Dishwasher - Freezer - Microwave - Oven - Dryer - Heat - Water - Washing Machine and Electric.

ADDRESS:2320 County Route 21,Kinderhook, NY 12106
Large 3 Bedroom 2 Full Bath
Monthly Rent: $900
Refundable security Deposit: $700
Garage: Yes, Pets Allowed.
All utilities are included in the rent

Office ROAMING LINE:+1(708) 374-8087
COMPLETE THE TENANT APPLICATION FORM BELOW:
<snipped out application for length>
  After I have received the above details, i will discuss with my family and let you know our terms and how we would conclude the renting process so you can move into our home Asap. You can drive by the  house since I am not in the State and I don't have anyone to show you the inside of the house for now so if you are still interested let me know by filling the form above.

Looking forward to hear from you with all this details so that we can have it in our file in case of issuing the receipt for you and contacting you. Await your prompt reply so that we can discuss on the rental terms and agreement, please we are renting the house to you base on trust and again i will want you to stick to your words. So please do not let us down in maintaining our home and you can call us for more information on the rental on our cell number is +1(708) 374-8087. Waiting to hear from you ASAP.

Regards: 
   Franklin's Family
GOD BLESS YOU.

Franklin Riley

know a guy who got taken in by a puppy mill scam, $600 for a pure bred something or other, on the first invoice, plus $300 for priority live-animal shipping.  then came a second invoice for hygiene, veterinary, and kenneling fees during the sale & transfer, $500, and so on, back and forth, until the accumulated payments were in excess of $4,000.  it stopped when they asked for an allegedly final payment of $2,000 for insurance and quarantine fees, which he couldn't afford, at which point they threatened criminal charges (for what, no idea). 

he had been sending cash through a wire service (uh...duh?) to, he alleged, one yolanda in cameron, which is plausible, as there is a town by that name down here.  upon closer inspection of the wire service receipts, however, the recipient was revealed to be an unnamed person in yaounde, cameroon.  FFS.

It wouldn't surprise me if you nephew had his phone either stolen or cloned. Scammer saw "Uncle Dra" on the phone and decided to call it. I would let my nephew know what happened, then send out an email to other family members to make sure they are aware if they receive similar calls.

Sorry you had to go through this. I had some asshats call from India stating they worked at Microsoft and my computer had been infect with a virus I needed to talk with them and give them information, and money to fix it. Total scam. The first time I took down their number and googled it, it's a scam. Second time I told them they where terrible people. Third time I told them they where terrible people. Fourth time I told them no one by that name lived at this number. Fifth time I told them I didn't have a computer. After that it finally stopped.

But yeah it sucks. 

Sorry you had to go through this. I had some asshats call from India stating they worked at Microsoft and my computer had been infect with a virus I needed to talk with them and give them information, and money to fix it. Total scam. The first time I took down their number and googled it, it's a scam. Second time I told them they where terrible people. Third time I told them they where terrible people. Fourth time I told them no one by that name lived at this number. Fifth time I told them I didn't have a computer. After that it finally stopped.

I was unfortunately fooled by those fake Microsoft people a couple of years ago. They gave me several options for "length of protection" and I'm so glad I didn't go for the highest level and so was only out $300 instead of a lot more. But they have never stopped calling me -- when they do I just yell "This is a scam!" and hang up.

The other scam thing I get all the time comes in the regular mail -- all the notices about one's auto warranty expiring and you must call them to renew it. I once got THREE different such notices in the mail on the same day! 

Not to mention all the scam emails one gets at work about one's mailbox being full and you have to send them some information to get it unblocked. 

Several years ago the More Light Presbyterians organization I am part of (the pro-GLBT group in my denomination) was plagued by a scam artist who would call various churches around the country claiming to be one of the officers of the organization who had had his wallet stolen somewhere and was asking for money to be sent to him so he could buy a plane ticket home. 

Modern mass communication devices do make it incredibly easy for these things to occur these days. One has to remain skeptical about any such communication until it is independently confirmed.

there's plenty of these things that show up in attorney emails. usually a variation of the nigerian prince scam, but instead of a royal inheritance, it's a client with a large retainer and a substantial sum of allegedly disputed funds to be taken into trust.  client invariably wants to launder real money through trust account and kite checks that lawyer then must pay.

As I mentioned earlier, but I feel it cant be stressed enough, call screening is pretty much mandatory in todays world. If your not already in my contacts I am not answering your call. Also pay close attention to the voicemail, if they do not mention your name they are just fishing ( they dont know your name they do not need to talk to you). This simple method closes the door to 99% of scammers and %100 of cold call scams.

@Larrytheimp, if memory serves the military base scammer was also connected to Illinois. In that case I think they were alledged to be at the G.L.Naval facility awaiting imminent deployment or some goalpost moving story to that affect. And of course some complicated method of wiring the money "was the only way" this alledged vehicle could be purchased.

wouldnt surprise if this was the same group of grifters that run the missionary rental con.

Thats so weird...turns out I too am being held in a Peruvian prison just now. I encourage all posters to quickly p.m. me for details on how to send money to help.

Seriously though thats just horrible, $38,000 down the drain, and likely the guys a pensioner to boot, a travesty!

Thats so weird...turns out I too am being held in a Peruvian prison just now. I encourage all posters to quickly p.m. me for details on how to send money to help.

Seriously though thats just horrible, $38,000 down the drain, and likely the guys a pensioner to boot, a travesty!

Nah he's very wealthy, which is why he didn't bother, you know, to actually try and contact me. Doesn't help that he's been going downhill mentally for a few years now (this happened about 2 years ago). He apparently just wired them the money without asking any questions.

Though to be fair, I am the type of person that might wind up in a South American jail.

Archived