Football: For Now We Are All Champions!

MercenaryChef

21 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Wenger whinging to the press about how difficult he is finding the transfer market. I won't bother linking to his quotes because he's been saying the same old shit for the past five years. I wish he would just shut up.

The problem is he's looking for bargains. Thats not going to happen. Clubs are going to ask him for top dollar for his players, because its Arsenal. He has to deal with it and pay the money. 

Wengers problem is that he'll look at his squad and think he doesn't need anything. Why get a proper defender when you already have so many, never mind they are constantly getting injured or aren't good enough on a regular basis. Why get a striker when you already have a bunch of players who can play in that position. Never mind that most of them never really perform in that position. 

Same old Wenger.

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

The problem is he's looking for bargains. Thats not going to happen. Clubs are going to ask him for top dollar for his players, because its Arsenal. He has to deal with it and pay the money. 

Wengers problem is that he'll look at his squad and think he doesn't need anything. Why get a proper defender when you already have so many, never mind they are constantly getting injured or aren't good enough on a regular basis. Why get a striker when you already have a bunch of players who can play in that position. Never mind that most of them never really perform in that position. 

Same old Wenger.

Nah, Wenger knows he needs players. But he is incapable of spending the money required to get the type of players that would actually make the squad better. He wants top top quality, but he wants it for under 40m and in this market, with the amount of money that teams have and with managers of rivals willing to spend, he's never going to get those prices. So he sits on his hands, bitches about the craziness of the transfer market, makes excuses and goes into the season once again short in two positions that will ultimately cost us the title once again. Rinse, repeat. Same shit for last 5 years.

23 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I can't believe Liverpool still have not added cover at FB or DM.   With Brad Smith sold and Flannagan on loan, I thought we would definitely add some cover, even if Trent Arnold-Alexander looked good as a back-up RB.   And I guess Kevin Stewart will back up Can.  Stewart seems steady enough but offers less than Jay Spearing did in the same situation, and we didn't hold onto him. 

I rate Stewart well over Spearing. 

15 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I found it quite interesting that Adidas' first big thing with Pogba at United is with Stormzy. It's a curious partnership at first glance. Though I'm not sure about Pogba's dance skills.

Am I the only one who thinks that Stormzy looks quite a lot like Lukaku

It is absolutely staggering how much money Mourinho has spent in his managerial career. It's almost $1B in transfers. Has he ever developed a young player? I know he likes to brag about how he gives young players a chance, something like 49 of them from what I remember, but when there was an analysis done of those 49, maybe only one player got more than 2 appearances. It was kind of ridiculous. He might be a great manager when he's able to buy the best players money can buy, but I would imagine he'd fail at a place like Leceister City where he has to bring along players in their development.

Just thinking about this when I saw he has spent over a billion dollars on players. That is insane.

Just now, Mexal said:

It is absolutely staggering how much money Mourinho has spent in his managerial career. It's almost $1B in transfers. Has he ever developed a young player? I know he likes to brag about how he gives young players a chance, something like 49 of them from what I remember, but when there was an analysis done of those 49, maybe only one player got more than 2 appearances. It was kind of ridiculous. He might be a great manager when he's able to buy the best players money can buy, but I would imagine he'd fail at a place like Leceister City where he has to bring along players in their development.

Just thinking about this when I saw he has spent over a billion dollars on players. That is insane.

And he has the cheek to whinge to the media about how his rivals are trying to buy the title.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

He might be a great manager when he's able to buy the best players money can buy, but I would imagine he'd fail at a place like Leceister City where he has to bring along players in their development.

Well he did win the Champions League with Porto to be fair.

He might be a dick but it's not like he's never been successful outside of clubs like Chelsea and Real with massive sums being spent. I think it's more that he doesn't seem to trust inexperienced players.

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

Mourinho has spent more money than any other manager since 2004 (and this excludes this transfer window). And, yeah, it's pretty hypocritical of him to be bitching about rivals buying the league when he's been doing that since his first stint at Chelsea. I'm just glad that the likes of Lingard and Rashford got their foot in the door before Mourinho joined. I doubt either of them would have been given the opportunity under his management and I'm quite concerned about the future of Fosu-Mensah at the club. I'd be shocked if any player from our academy breaks into the first team under his tenure.

2 hours ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

I thought I hated ManU pre-Mourinho.

I thought I hated Mourinho pre-Man U :D 

3 hours ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

I rate Stewart well over Spearing. 

Stewart is as average as it gets. Really think DM is our second biggest need after LB. Lucas is past it. I think Emre has potential to fill the role though. 

Spearing was limited on the ball but ferocious in tackling and closing down.  Stewart is ok at closing down and tackling and was very limited on the ball until a couple of tasty passes against Barcelona.  Neither reads the game especially well or dominates the MF space.  Neither looks strong enough for Liverpool's MF beyond occasional back-up, but I guess Klopp thinks he can develop Stewart. 

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Well he did win the Champions League with Porto to be fair.

He might be a dick but it's not like he's never been successful outside of clubs like Chelsea and Real with massive sums being spent. I think it's more that he doesn't seem to trust inexperienced players.

Not saying he's a bad manager, just talking about how much he's spent which is insane. Utlimately, I'm just jealous. I wouldn't want Mourinho but the ability to bring in players you need to make a better team is something Arsenal has never done and it drives me up the wall considering how much money we have in the bank. As I said before, we're stuck, for the 5th straight year, going into the season short in a number of key areas and the worst part is Wenger has recognized that pubicly and still done shit about it.

I'm going to step out of my Liverpool tribalism and try to enjoy the big picture.  The start of the season always promises some unpredictability and there are some fun stories ahead. 

Southampton somehow thrived despite selling their best players each season and losing their manager every other season.  Can they possibly do it again?  Puel is a really unknown quantity in the PL after a good showing in France. 

Hull are a shitshow at the moment.  Their net player flow is close to balanced but they haven't bought cover yet for a large number of injured players, and now they have no manager and a possible fan revolt.  At this point they might recruit their subs from the crowd before the game (I've played on teams like that before). 

Most are predicting Utd or City to win.  Perhaps they will dominate but it's not a foregone conclusion.  Both need to improve by ~20 points this season.  They've both spent a ton and hired the biggest reputation managers. Falling short would be a huge source of gleeful schadenfreude around the league. Both have very soft starts to their league schedule, so I would expect both to be early leaders with lots of headlines crowning them within the first few weeks.  Unfortunately match commentators will mention Pogba's transfer fee every time he touches the ball.

How are Sunderland still in the PL?  Can Moyes stabilize them and rebuild his reputation?

Swansea are taking some risks with turnover in manager and players.  This is another club who managed great continuity as they progressed despite seeing players and managers depart.  Did that well run dry last year or was their late recovery a sign of strong momentum for this season?

is Pardew like Mourinho for third season collapse?  Can Palace rebound after a terrible decline last season?  What can Watford do with their injured players back?  Will Bournemouth fall to second season syndrome?

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Most are predicting Utd or City to win.

Interesting. I'm more inclined towards Chelsea given they have no European football to distract them. I can see Hazard getting back to his best and that will make a big difference. I think Conte will rediscover their hunger.

United will get back into the top 4 I think but I personally can't see them winning this season. Next season seems more plausible to me given Mourinho's track record of taking a season as a transitional phase. Also, the Rooney issue may cause problems and Zlatan's effect is highly uncertain in the PL at nearly 35. He will get bullied and he will not like it.

City will be very interesting under Guardiola. I think we could win the title but there are massive question marks given he hasn't coached here before and the transitional nature of our squad situation. Arguably his biggest test as a manager, I cannot wait for Saturday and I'm really looking forward to this season. But if I were to put a bet on it, I'd plump for Chelsea I think.

I'm liking the impressive line-up of managers this year. Will be fascinating. Walter Mazzarri's effect at Watford will be interesting.

I think it's going to be incredibly close and it really is impossible to say at this point who wins this.

It looks tighter than ever.

What I think ends up happening is that City, Chelsea, United and Spurs are going to stay very close.

This is my first tier.

The second tier of Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester is just below that. I actually think Leicester will hardly be worse , if at all, than last year, especially if they keep Mahrez. Which they might, because Arsenal keeps low balling them, as they do. So basically seven very good teams that could beat anyone on the day, and Everton and West Ham are not far off either. I expect Everton to come back hard this year after last season's lapse. Disclaimer there being that if they still sell Lukaku their quality diminishes.

I think Liverpool will be better than last year and if they are that basically puts them in title contention. I think they will be.

I think Arsenal will be about as good as last year and that will not be enough to finish top 4.

Spurs will be strong again, they just have a very good side. Though I wonder how Kane will fare after a truly lousy EC. Maybe it won't impact much. United I am just very curious about. Pogba, Zlatan, the Armenian. 

19 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I thought I hated Mourinho pre-Man U :D 

Stewart is as average as it gets. Really think DM is our second biggest need after LB. Lucas is past it. I think Emre has potential to fill the role though. 

Spearing was sub-average, though. Not good enough on the defensive side (both physically and in terms of reading the game), and absolutely hopeless with the ball. Kevin Stewart looks very composed, and I think people might underestimate his vision. I agree he's not good enough for the starting 11, but I think he's a decent shout as backup (and better than Spearing!)

Mustafi's agent has confirmed that Arsenal and him have agreed personal terms. So now Arsenal needs to agree a fee with Valencia. I'm figuring this will go through given how desperate we are. It's a good signing and one that I really like.

Now, if only we could find a striker before the end of the transfer window. 

Mustafi would be a great signing but I'm not counting on it yet. And we'll still have to avoid damage in the opening Liverpool game before he's right to play. At 24 he's a good age and comes highly rated as a potential long-term option to lead the defence when Koscielny slows down.

If he signs Mustafi and gets one decent striker, Wenger will have turned this transfer window around, although it would have been nice to have them in pre-season.

Archived