DUBLIN 2019: An Irish Worldcon August 15-19 2019

Had a chat in San Jose with the Dublin folks about hotels and learned one useful tidbit: The hotel booking site will be opened to volunteer staff prior to being available to the general membership.

I'd already signed up to work Green Room, and this confirms my decision to do so.

It doesn't resolve the overall financing of the double-con trip, but it makes it much more likely that I can pull it off.

4 hours ago, DaveAx said:

Had a chat in San Jose with the Dublin folks about hotels and learned one useful tidbit: The hotel booking site will be opened to volunteer staff prior to being available to the general membership.

Wow, that's lovely. I'll be staying at one of the hostels but this alone makes me want to show the con love by volunteering.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Lil Red Head said:

I recall that there was talk of bus tours to bridge the few days between Dublin Worldcon and TitanCon. Anyone know more information on that?

It was an idea that was suggested, but I think it was decided the logistics of organising it would be too much of a distraction from the con itself.

• 1 month later...

With the con hotels opening for bookings in the next week, I was wondering if anyone who was planning on booking a con hotel had any thoughts/decisions on which one they are going for?  They look rather spread out.  Not the best scenario.

Linda and I booked the Maldron Hotel Pearse Street, and I believe one or two other BwBers have done so as well, as it seems a good fit for price vs. location. I know some have gone in on a shared AirBnB thing.

8 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

With the con hotels opening for bookings in the next week, I was wondering if anyone who was planning on booking a con hotel had any thoughts/decisions on which one they are going for?  They look rather spread out.  Not the best scenario.

hoping to pick up tips from the more experienced con-going folks as they hopefully get dropped in this thread. ;)

Will likely be putting in the research time myself in the next couple days, probably going to prioritize 1) shortest walking distance to the convention and back 2) price.

Also gotta think about if I want to swing for TitanCon as well, or even just explore Dublin/Ireland in general, etc.

On 1/1/2019 at 5:27 PM, Ran said:

Linda and I booked the Maldron Hotel Pearse Street, and I believe one or two other BwBers have done so as well, as it seems a good fit for price vs. location. I know some have gone in on a shared AirBnB thing.

Yeah, that's my hotel too. I'm still trying to digest the bill. Although at least you can pay now and not have to worry about it on the weekend. And that was one of the cheapest options.

I suspect if the Irish crew want to run an Irish WorldCon again they might consider holding it somewhere where there isn't a massive shortage of hotels. If EuroCon goes well (which of course it will) maybe they should consider doing it in Belfast next time around.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:55 PM, Frances Bean Corbray said:

Will likely be putting in the research time myself in the next couple days, probably going to prioritize 1) shortest walking distance to the convention and back 2) price.

The website does a pretty good job laying the information about price and distance out along with a map.  However, its exhausting to read through!

Thanks to those of you who mentioned your hotels!  Helps as I look through the list and at the map.

This is just a message to say it's very much my intention to go to both cons, but I've not planned/booked anything yet, so if anyone is interested in room-sharing or has memberships available to sell then do PM me or post here!

On 1/1/2019 at 5:21 PM, lady narcissa said:

But almost unavoidable with Worldcons in Europe, I'm afraid. I've been to three (Dublin will be the 4th) and they've all had rather spread-out accommodation, for various reasons.

I'll be in the Spencer Hotel. :)

17 hours ago, mormont said:

But almost unavoidable with Worldcons in Europe, I'm afraid. I've been to three (Dublin will be the 4th) and they've all had rather spread-out accommodation, for various reasons.

I'll be in the Spencer Hotel. :)

I will also be in the Spencer.

Belfast attendance TBD at a later date. I’m literally moving from the US to UK next week so there’s lots to do atm. I’ll venture that if anyone else from the greater NYC BwB crowd ends up in Belfast, I will make every effort to be there as I miss everyone already.

Archived