Stranger Things Season 2: Three Musketeers really are the WORST (Spoilers)

Trebla

2 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

I agree about Steve. While he had plenty of screen time, his character didn't have much of an arc. I just love Steve's character--I mean, when you watch what a dick he was in Season 1 to who he is now, I think he might be my favorite character. But this season, his arc seemed to be that "he finally beat someone up." Which seemed a weak insult for Dustin to throw at Steve who has shown himself to be quite capable (with his spiked bat) time and again. I know Billy kicked his ass, but jeez, whose ass would Billy not kick in this show outside of Eleven? Anyway, I hope he gets a bigger arc next season. Him dropping Dustin off at the dance last season and seeing Nancy was so good.

P.S. A lot of fan favorites (like Hopper) lost IQ points, didn't they?

Yeah, a lot of the characters were just kind of given new personalities. Lucas used to be the logical, serious one, but without Dustin around, they turned him into the comedic relief this season instead. It's a better use of the actor's talents, but there was no natural progression there.

Hopper also was dumbed down, although that was more season two than season three. 

On 7/21/2019 at 12:13 AM, Simon Steele said:

I agree about Steve. While he had plenty of screen time, his character didn't have much of an arc. I just love Steve's character--I mean, when you watch what a dick he was in Season 1 to who he is now, I think he might be my favorite character. But this season, his arc seemed to be that "he finally beat someone up." Which seemed a weak insult for Dustin to throw at Steve who has shown himself to be quite capable (with his spiked bat) time and again. I know Billy kicked his ass, but jeez, whose ass would Billy not kick in this show outside of Eleven? Anyway, I hope he gets a bigger arc next season. Him dropping Dustin off at the dance last season and seeing Nancy was so good.

P.S. A lot of fan favorites (like Hopper) lost IQ points, didn't they?

He made the step of realising chasing girls he thought were popular wasn't a great idea long term. He learned (or appeared to learn) that he can be friends with girls and not need to be attracted to them or at least let it drop when they aren't attracted to him.

It wasn't about him beating someone up. Far more important was the serious beating he took in order to protect Dustin. And it was a serious beating actually more like torture. He did crumble but it was impressive he lasted that long.

To be honest i don't think character development is what does it for me in this show anyhow. I found it far more enjoyable once it went headlong into russian conspiracy and mindflayer territory. I'd rather have had a homage to "invasion of the body snatchers" instead of teen romance problems

3 hours ago, red snow said:

He made the step of realising chasing girls he thought were popular wasn't a great idea long term. He learned (or appeared to learn) that he can be friends with girls and not need to be attracted to them or at least let it drop when they aren't attracted to him.

It wasn't about him beating someone up. Far more important was the serious beating he took in order to protect Dustin. And it was a serious beating actually more like torture. He did crumble but it was impressive he lasted that long.

To be honest i don't think character development is what does it for me in this show anyhow. I found it far more enjoyable once it went headlong into russian conspiracy and mindflayer territory. I'd rather have had a homage to "invasion of the body snatchers" instead of teen romance problems

Yeah, I mean criticizing Steve is really scraping the barrel, to be honest. I just think those beats you mentioned were things he did before. I do think his reaction to Robin's coming out was a nice illustration that he had actually changed since season 1. Instead of being angry for being rebuffed (so to speak), he seemed generally happy for her. 

So, I think Steve Dustin and Robin had the most interesting story this season. Every time they were on screen, it was a lot of fun.

3 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

Yeah, I mean criticizing Steve is really scraping the barrel, to be honest. I just think those beats you mentioned were things he did before. I do think his reaction to Robin's coming out was a nice illustration that he had actually changed since season 1. Instead of being angry for being rebuffed (so to speak), he seemed generally happy for her. 

So, I think Steve Dustin and Robin had the most interesting story this season. Every time they were on screen, it was a lot of fun.

They were my favourite group too. The mystery was fun and i sort of like how it went from silly to quite dark. I think steve and dustin seem to be characters that just work well in terms of you put them with others and they fit whereas some of the others don't eg Hopper works with eleven but not as well with others. I'd like to see Elle spend more Time with Dustin and co.

3 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

and Erica! I loved her being drafted in the Scoop Troop! I loved her comments to Dustin and his comebacks. Who ever thought that wanting free ice cream could have got someone into such deep trouble? Then her being given Will's D&D books, she's being brought into Hawkins' Nerd Crew even if she's kicking and screaming about it as it's being done.

I just want to say I loved Stranger Things 3, I think it may be my favorite season, I don't know, I'd have to rewatch season 1. It was just so much fun, every episode. and I don't care, I'm an easy mark for homages and references.

A whole episode spent with Back To The Future playing in the background and the kids can't help getting interested in it. :bowdown:

Much of the time whenever the plot focused on the Russians, the background music became Drago's Rocky IV theme or something similar enough not to matter.

An amalgam of homages to 70's/80's horror movies that themselves were remakes... Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Thing, The Blob, The Fly with some Aliens and Stepford Wives thrown in for good measure.

Robin :wub:

Todfther!

Cary Elwes as Mayor Trump!

Scoop Troop is my favorite team but when Murray and Alexei joined up with Hopper and Joyce - hilarious!

Steve and Robin getting jobs a video rental store and their application process!

Moaning Myrtle Suzie.

and of course:

Turn around
Look at what you see
In her face
The mirror of your dreams

With the first two words and after Robin and Steve talking about that girl, I thought we were in for a rendition of Total Eclipse of the Heart, but no! It instead became the much more awesome and apropos Neverending Story!!! :rofl: :lol: :rofl: 

I just had a ball with this season.

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

and Erica! I loved her being drafted in the Scoop Troop! I loved her comments to Dustin and his comebacks. Who ever thought that wanting free ice cream could have got someone into such deep trouble? Then her being given Will's D&D books, she's being brought into Hawkins' Nerd Crew even if she's kicking and screaming about it as it's being done.

I just want to say I loved Stranger Things 3, I think it may be my favorite season, I don't know, I'd have to rewatch season 1. It was just so much fun, every episode. and I don't care, I'm an easy mark for homages and references.

A whole episode spent with Back To The Future playing in the background and the kids can't help getting interested in it. :bowdown:

Much of the time whenever the plot focused on the Russians, the background music became Drago's Rocky IV theme or something similar enough not to matter.

An amalgam of homages to 70's/80's horror movies that themselves were remakes... Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Thing, The Blob, The Fly with some Aliens and Stepford Wives thrown in for good measure.

Robin :wub:

Todfther!

Cary Elwes as Mayor Trump!

Scoop Troop is my favorite team but when Murray and Alexei joined up with Hopper and Joyce - hilarious!

Steve and Robin getting jobs a video rental store and their application process!

Moaning Myrtle Suzie.

and of course:

Turn around
Look at what you see
In her face
The mirror of your dreams

With the first two words and after Robin and Steve talking about that girl, I thought we were in for a rendition of Total Eclipse of the Heart, but no! It instead became the much more awesome and apropos Neverending Story!!! :rofl: :lol: :rofl: 

I just had a ball with this season.

You have earned your avatar pic with this post. :P

I completely forgot that El met her mother and aunt last season. Whatever happened to them? 

The more I stew on it, the more I'm starting to think that Stranger Things has begun morphing into a different show than what it started as. Season one, and parts of season two, were a mystery thriller with some humor thrown in. Now ST feels more like a comedy with monsters. It's still a really enjoyable show, but it does feel different to me.

Assuming that season three is set in 1986, what song do you think they'll use for the trailer? I'm sure someone will be able to guess it correctly lol.

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Assuming that season three is set in 1986, what song do you think they'll use for the trailer? I'm sure someone will be able to guess it correctly lol.

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

A remix of Europe's Final Countdown?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm late to the party, but I finally finished this season. I really enjoyed the first two to three episodes, but once the main plot started, I got pretty checked out. The finale at least was very good and had some great emotion, and I always enjoyed the Steve/Robin/Dustin adventures because the actors and characters are so charming (though Erica was a bit much for me), but I found most things surrounding the mind flayer and the hidden Russian-base-that-has-somehow-managed-to-import-hundreds-of-Russians-who-don't-speak-English-into-America-during-the-Cold-War pretty underwhelming. After the first few episodes, the character interactions/beats also just got too repetitive; there's only so many scenes of Hopper and Joyce yelling at each other I can handle, or of Will getting goosebumps, slowly turning, and saying "he's here" as a building shakes and the power flickers on and off, or of Eleven coming in at the last minute to save someone. 

Anyway, it wasn't a bad season or anything, just not particularly great, aside from the beginning and the end. And it's kind of hard to see where they go from here; the Russians having a demigorgon didn't exactly get me super pumped for Season 4. But hopefully it'll be more of a changeup , hopefully the mind flayer will be gone for good (though didn't they defeat him the exact same way this season as last season, meaning he can just come back again?), and hopefully characters get more than one thing to do for most of the season.

Oh, and if we can get more things like that bonkers Never Ending Story singalong, that'd be great.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Gronzag said:

This show is the new Walking Dead. It's going nowhere but they will keep making it forever. I already can't remember anything from the second season.

Lol, that is a good way of putting it. Having said that, Stranger Things managed to have a reasonable second season, where WD was just awful. 

I can see why people continue to watch ST as it has high production values and is often quite fun, but WD is so drearily monotonous I struggle to understand why it kept doing so well.

18 hours ago, Gronzag said:

This show is the new Walking Dead. It's going nowhere but they will keep making it forever. I already can't remember anything from the second season.

What about the third season?

I suspect the show actually has a relatively limited shelf life. Unless the Duffer brothers both 1) want to keep making it, 2) are willing to make pretty big changes to the show, and 3) the audience is okay with those changes.

And I'm not convinced any of those statements are true.

6 hours ago, Fez said:

What about the third season?

I suspect the show actually has a relatively limited shelf life. Unless the Duffer brothers both 1) want to keep making it, 2) are willing to make pretty big changes to the show, and 3) the audience is okay with those changes.

And I'm not convinced any of those statements are true.

They have even said they are envisioning a limited run with a planned end.

3 hours ago, Guy Kilmore said:

They have even said they are envisioning a limited run with a planned end.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

The kids will be too old for the show's basic premise to work in two years, three years tops.

I'd be all in on Robin and Steve spin-off show though. Hell, they could even keep Dustin as a recurring character.

Archived