All things Star Wars

Mosi Mynn

On 5/24/2018 at 3:49 PM, Mosi Mynn said:

Apologies if there is already a generic Star Wars thread - I found film and TV programme threads, but nothing for the whole franchise.

The Guardian has ranked the Star Wars films, with no real surprises https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/24/every-star-wars-film-ranked-solo-skywalker except ... The Phantom Menace comes below the Ewok films?  

HOW could this crap I just watched rank 5th of all Star Wars movies? Rouge One and ALL the prequels were all better. In my opinion. 

Oh god, what a waste of potential... and the cinema menu options didn’t even include an emilia figurine cup... what am I gonna put next to the aquaman figurine cup when that comes out? 

Solo was... 60% meh, 10% aww that’s so adorable and 30% oh-god-no-why. It managed to create tension for a full 3 minutes. For the remaining 132 minutes I remained completely unmoved and checked my phone three times for the time.

Spoiler

There were a number of lowest points, if I had to pick one that stood out, I would say the moment when the smuggler lord removed his Sauron mask and was revealed to be a doe-eyed victim-of-war teenager who fights for the greater good. The highest point was definitely when L3 was finally struck the f down. 

Have to agree that Solo is not a bad movie. Rogue One was better IMO though. I am going to keep stating this, the lack of overwhelming CGI helps give these movies a soul.

I was one of the ones confused when...

Spoiler

Darth Maul appeared. I had never seen the tv show so I couldn't understand it. I thought they were telling us that Solo took place before the prequels, which the ages didn't work obviously. Had to look up Darth Maul wookipedia to understand it.

As to that Gaurdian list, it's crap. Anyone who places those Ewok shows ahead of anything but Attack of Clones is crazy. 

My list of the ones I have seen

Star Wars ANH - I know ESB is a better movie overall but I remember being a kid at the drive in laying on top of our van on a blanket with a pillow and when the Death Star blew up it seemed like the sparks went off the screen and mixed with the stars in real life and just absolutely stuck in my head forever.

The Empire Strikes Back - if it wasn't for the magic of ANH this would be #1 for me

Return of the Jedi - remember waiting in line around the block with my little sister to watch this. Had to wait for an entire screening because we missed the full theatre mark by like 10 people

Rogue One - To me this is the most like the originals. It wasn't so reliant on CGI and cute little creatures to sell to kids. The good guys won, and lost, and not just red shirts.  

The Force Awakens - Really liked this despite the continued focus on droids being a main part.

Revenge of the Sith - The only prequel I have seen more than once at home.

Solo - This was a solid movie IMO, and will likely move ahead of RotS when I see it again.

The Last Jedi - Not a bad movie to me but felt too much like they were trying to be a Marvel movie and not a Star Wars movie

The Phantom Menace - eh...jar jar and that flying elephant slave owner and a plucky kid ruined it for me.

Way way down an exhaust shaft

Attack of the Clones - barf

Ewok crap that I vaguely remember seeing on tv in the 80's

• 2 weeks later...

So the Fox deal with Disney...today it's on, tomorrow it's off, today part of it's back on, etc...

If it did go through, do you think the 20th Century Fox fanfare would be restored to Star Wars?

Because if I went to see episode IX and it started with the Mouse House logo, yeah yeah but with no music or wish upon a star, whatever...but then: the screen goes dark, you'd hear the drums "brrrrumpt bum, brrrrumpt bum..." and the 20th Century Fox logo came up with the full fanfare leading into the "LucasFilm" logo and then a brief caesura and then the Star Wars logo and music and the movie proper begins...I think I'd actually well up just seeing that.

John Williams says he wrote the SW theme to go with the Fox fanfare as part of the piece. Be great to return it where it belongs.

ETA:

Just one more thing, not SW related but LucasFilm:

When Indy 5 comes out,  instead of the Paramount logo and the mountain turning into a real location we'll see the Mouse House logo, but do you think it will then turn into a real castle in a real location that Dr. Jones is exploring/excavating as the movie begins?

Tickets to Star Wars Celebration 2019 just went on sale today. It will be in Chicago next April. Has anyone been to one before? I've never been but will go to this one as its in my backyard.

(Perhaps more appropriate for the BWB forum as its a con but there seemed a greater chance of SWs fans seeing it in this thread to start.)

8 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

Tickets to Star Wars Celebration 2019 just went on sale today. It will be in Chicago next April. Has anyone been to one before? I've never been but will go to this one as its in my backyard.

(Perhaps more appropriate for the BWB forum as its a con but there seemed a greater chance of SWs fans seeing it in this thread to start.)

You're right, thanks for the info.

I've never been to one, but while Chicago isn't exactly in my backyard, it's much closer than the previous locations. I'll consider going.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/star-wars-star-kelly-marie-tran-wipes-instagram-account.html

Outside of Instagram, the Rose Tico page on Wookiepedia had to be locked down after the peer-editing tool was used to add racist language. Tran, who has spoken passionately about being a role model for girls like her who have never seen themselves reflected in Star Wars, said in an Instagram caption from last year that, “Guys, can I tell you a secret? I avoided public social media for a long time purely because I was afraid. I was terrified of being picked apart, of being scrutinized, of being seen.” You can read the complete text about self-acceptance on E!, since a campaign of harassment and cruelty has apparently caused Tran to delete the primary source. Fellow Star Wars heroine Daisy Ridley fully erased her Instagram account two years ago, saying it was too toxic for her to be a part of.

Fuck these people. The toxicity on these platforms directed towards women, people of color, and any other non-cis straight white male (and even some of them too) is so far out of control. 

21 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

If there will ever be a reason that will cause me to quit Star Wars, it's much more likely it will have to do with the fandom, and not the quality of future movies.

The stuff upthread is obviously terrible shit that shouldn't happen but I don't get your statement.  If you need to, you can ignore all the "fandom shit".  If you want to watch movies but then get garbage you can't ignore the garbage.

This also isn't new.  Take Jake Lloyd for example.

Also way down on the list of horrible actions these people are doing but still it sucks, anyone with legitimate gripes about characters in regard to how they serve the movies, plot, and how interesting they are get associated with the racist scumbags and their remarks.

Again, far down on the list of what's important. It's a million times worse when an actor (or anyone) can't be part of something without being hassled because of their race/gender/sexual preference/etc. over someone who can't make an ernest comment without someone accusing "are you with those assholes?"

It's piddling in the scheme of things but shitty nonetheless.

2 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Jake Lloyd was harassed by Nazis?

Nah, the ugly side of fandom, though they're not much better.

1 minute ago, drawkcabi said:

Also way down on the list of horrible actions these people are doing but still it sucks, anyone with legitimate gripes about characters in regard to how they serve the movies, plot, and how interesting they are get associated with the racist scumbags and their remarks.

Again, far down on the list of what's important. It's a million times worse when an actor (or anyone) can't be part of something without being hassled because of their race/gender/sexual preference/etc. over someone who can't make an ernest comment without someone accusing "are you with those assholes?"

It's piddling in the scheme of things but shitty nonetheless.

Nah, the ugly side of fandom, though they're not much better.

Yeah I remember. I was implying the two are not similar.

1 hour ago, Week said:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/06/star-wars-star-kelly-marie-tran-wipes-instagram-account.html

Fuck these people. The toxicity on these platforms directed towards women, people of color, and any other non-cis straight white male (and even some of them too) is so far out of control. 

It's a shame these people can't be found and somehow be banned from ever watching a star wars film again - a bit like what happens to convicted football hooligans. It would be an apt punishment.

It doesn't detract from the shittiness of these trolls but it's true they cast a shadow over fans/humans in general.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

It's a shame these people can't be found and somehow be banned from ever watching a star wars film again - a bit like what happens to convicted football hooligans. It would be an apt punishment.

It doesn't detract from the shittiness of these trolls but it's true they cast a shadow over fans/humans in general.

I kinda of want Disney to announce that all Star Wars films are cancelled and that all related merchandise is to be recalled and destroyed, never to be seen again, just to see the look on some peoples faces.

16 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

There would be a small minority that would cheer at that.

Yeah. :(

I just imagine piles and piles of Star Wars merch being shoveled into a furnace while guards try to fend off crying fanboys.

Then a few weeks later, they announce the Jar Jar fillm.

5 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Intriguing...I'm a Trek guy first, but this is something I think that has to be seen...I'm a little further north, just over the border these days, but my family is still in the 'burbs...might have to look into this...

Archived