How do you like your tea? Or coffee? Almond milk or soy, sir? Two sugars, ma'am?

Yukle

Coffee black and strong, generally pour-over using a paper filter. But I do have moka-pot and recently acquired a vietnamese style coffee filter.

Tea and tisanes I drink without any more additions, in general. For loose-leave teas my tastes vary, and I am still trying new stuff. I do like the light Darjeeling and Oolong teas, but at times really like smoked teas, earl grey or an Assam.

On 5/28/2018 at 11:28 AM, larrytheimp said:

When I work the top booth of the chairlift in the winter my coffee is a matter of life or death.  I bring up a 32 oz thermos of black coffee and a 16 oz one with a splash of milk.  I drink the smaller one and about half the larger one but usually dish out a couple small cups to friends, patrol, or snowmakers who come by.  I keep a creamer and sugar for guests in a lockable box to keep the mice out.  Where you're up there for 9-10 hours with no break the coffee is clutch.

I hope you can at least have a pee break.  The idea of drinking coffee and then working with no break for 10 hours is vicariously stressing my bladder out. 

I drink my coffee with either 1) a splash of half-and-half and one packet of a sweetener, OR 2) black. 

Not going to comment on tea since I'm not from the UK, which on the Internet garners about the same reaction as commenting on pasta when you're not from Italy.

13 minutes ago, S John said:

I hope you can at least have a pee break.  The idea of drinking coffee and then working with no break for 10 hours is vicariously stressing my bladder out. 

It's stressing out other areas of my digestive system... :unsure:

39 minutes ago, S John said:

It's usually pretty easy to run into the woods but on busy days where there are no empty chairs policy is to go into an empty bottle while sitting there doing your job, which is kind of weird, and I'd rather not urinate in my work space, too much can go wrong to fast.  So I just wait for like 4 chairs of people that look like they know what they're doing, put it on slow, and run into the woods.  

Just today I was wondering about the people who first pour hot water, and then add the teabag. How can they live their lives?

On topic, I like coffee black, no sugar, strong. I used to use a volturno pot to make a cup. I seldom drink coffee now, but I do drink lattes more often. I do add sugar to lattes.

I like teas as they come. I use teabags. Teabag first, then boiling water. I only add honey and lemon when I'm sick (the sick tea). If I happen to add milk to it, I do sweeten it. 

What I drink daily is mate, a traditional beverage in some parts of South America, or mate cocido, that is the way of preparing the beverage as a tea instead. I used to despise people sweetening their mate, but since my sector at work was forbidden the drink of the beverage during customer attention hours, whenever I can sneak into another sector to drink some mate I accept whatever it comes. Mate cocido is allowed at anytime, so I generally drink from 2 to 4 cups during a work shift. Mate cocido follows the same rules as tea. Basically I just sweeten a drink if I add milk.

2 hours ago, BLTN said:

Just today I was wondering about the people who first pour hot water, and then add the teabag. How can they live their lives?

What kind of monster would so such a thing?! :O 

I make coffee using an aeropress. With milk or cream if I have any around.  But black is also fine.

I don't add sugar unless i'm somewhere that they are serving decaf only.  Which some relatives do with dessert sometimes.  Need the sugar to cut the decaf chemical taste.

I used to drink coffee heavy cream heavy sugar.

Then I realized a couple things:

1. Why drink a drink that I need to doctor up so much when I'd enjoy other beverages more?

2. Irritable bowel syndrome and coffee don't go together.

So now I never drink coffee except on rare occasions like when I'm not at home and I have a chill and need something to warm me up and then I just drink it straight.

I remember when I was at my niece's college graduation. It was in June in San Francisco, it was an overcast day with occasional drizzle and I was chilled to the bone. The hot cup of coffee I got that day was probably the best I had in my life.

It wasn't until a few years later I first heard that quote “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco,”  supposedly said by Mark Twain. Whoever first said it, I totally get it.

Er...what were we talking about?

ETA:

Oh yeah, and tea...I HATE it.

Hot tea, Ice Tea, whatever, can't stand it.

As a kid I used to like Chinese Tea, but I don't even like that now.

Whatever kind of tea it is to me it just tastes and smells like musty water.

and milk...

Been lactose intolerant since 2002.

So I drink lactose free milk now and the way I always take it is flavored by the cereal I just ate in it.

Cereal is my favorite food so I always have a lot of milk.

I go to store once a month and buy about 12  1/2 gallon cartons.

A couple go in the fridge when I get home and the rest goes in the big freezer and every few days I take one or two out to put in the fridge and by the time the open milk is gone the frozen has pretty much thawed.

I have an obsessive number of teas in a Japanese kitchen cabinet. One for any mood. I generally drink them clear. Black in the morning, green in afternoon herbal before bed. One of my favorites is black current black tea or Egyptian mint green. Camomile or sleepy time style teas if insomnia. I also like clear iced tea if it’s hot out

When I first get up I like Peet’s coffee in a french press, or if I don’t want the mess, I use a machine that takes an Italian roast, with one coffee and a shot of espresso! If I feel like it, i might give it a shot of almond milk. In a restaurant,  I may add soy, cream or almond milk and a small tsp sugar.

i have rounded black Derby china mugs with subtle cool colored marks.

I like wine of all sorts, and gin ( aviators or Walters best) based drinks.

i like craft beer because it’s an adventure, and hops grow well in this State. Ginger beer or real root beer are nice too.

Dont judge me too much!

10 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

“The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco,”  supposedly said by Mark Twain.

What! I thought the correct misappropriated quote was "The coldest winter I ever spent was the summer I spent in Alaska." attributed to John Muir. Drat!  However, Muir did say "Go to Alaska, go and see."  Good advice, especially now, before climate change changes it forever.

10 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

A couple go in the fridge when I get home and the rest goes in the big freezer

My mother did this, freezing milk.  Your comment brings back memories.  **sips coffee and thinks of the old days**        :cheers:

10 minutes ago, LongRider said:

My mother did this, freezing milk.  Your comment brings back memories.  **sips coffee and thinks of the old days**        :cheers:

First time I did it I thought it may change the taste when it thawed but it tasted just the same and on hot summer days it's refreshing to have a bowl of cereal soaked in ice cold milk.

What! I thought the correct misappropriated quote was "The coldest winter I ever spent was the summer I spent in Alaska." attributed to John Muir. Drat!  However, Muir did say "Go to Alaska, go and see."  Good advice, especially now, before climate change changes it forever

I always heard it factually unsupported ascribed to Twain and San Francisco. Maybe it's like that other weather saying, every town/city/state/country thinks they originated "If you don't like the weather here, just wait a minute, it'll change."

I love coffee, although it is possible that my coffee habits are insane. I buy coffee from a specific local roaster -- actually, I need to buy more today -- and grind it fresh in a good grinder, which is in keeping with most coffee snobs' approach. However, I make mine in an auto drip machine and add Coffeemate and Splenda. Milk or cream and sugar are okay, but for whatever reason I prefer the taste of the artificial stuff. I am aware that to coffee purists this is heresy and defeats the purpose of buying good beans or using a good grinder, but I really do notice the difference between my beans and, say, Eight O'Clock. I only have the nice grinder because of some difficulty with testing when I started having problems with my coffee -- it turned out to be a bad box of Splenda, of all things -- but I do think fresh-ground of some type is noticeably better. I've tried french press and it's fine but auto drip is less hassle for me.

I can tolerate coffee without cream or without sugar, but not without either. Regardless, I prefer it with both. I would like to develop a taste for black coffee, but so far it has eluded me.

I like tea okay but I drink it much less. I drink black, green, red tea, mostly black. No milk or sugar in it, although I'll add a bit of honey for a sore throat if I'm sick. I do think it's kind of funny that the English profess such a love for tea but can't stand it without adding milk, but given my coffee habits I can hardly throw stones. I'm less fond of herbal tea, but peppermint can be nice occasionally, and my wife put me on to Bigelow's Lemon Lift, which is black tea with lemon.

On 6/3/2018 at 10:10 AM, drawkcabi said:

First time I did it I thought it may change the taste when it thawed but it tasted just the same and on hot summer days it's refreshing to have a bowl of cereal soaked in ice cold milk

Really? I've always thought milk went bad when you did this. I drink some litres a week and whenever I can i buy those "long life" milks, that can go outside the fridge until you open them. Regular milk is way cheaper tbh, but if i buy 10 litres I'm always afraid that something may come up and I can't finish them in term. And throwing away food is a no-no.

I'll give it a try, and report back. Wish me good luck :p 

2 hours ago, BLTN said:

Really? I've always thought milk went bad when you did this. I drink some litres a week and whenever I can i buy those "long life" milks, that can go outside the fridge until you open them. Regular milk is way cheaper tbh, but if i buy 10 litres I'm always afraid that something may come up and I can't finish them in term. And throwing away food is a no-no.

I'll give it a try, and report back. Wish me good luck :p 

Good luck and it's always the lactose free ultra pasteurized milk that I freeze, though I think regular milk would do fine too.

My ultra pasteurized long life milk would last well enough in the fridge until I bought milk again since we go through it so fast except I buy so much it's more an issue of there not being enough room in the fridge when I come home from my once a month trip from the grocery store so the freezer is utilized.

• 3 months later...

I'm not much of a coffee drinker.  However, I drink instant coffee at work only because my employer buys it.  The sachets have so much sugar and powdered cream that it's not really even coffee.  It's more like coffee flavored milk tea / bubble tea.

Archived