Video Games: Now with a Chance to Win a Complimentary Membership to Gambler's Anonymous

The Anti-Targ

Desperados III announced! Which is exciting enough, but it's being made by the same people who made Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, the best game of 2016. That's a brilliant mixture of property and talent. This will be out in summer 2019.

The first expansion for BattleTech has been confirmedFlashpoint will add a new beach biome with some interesting possibilities for cooling your units down, along with three new 'mechs (although one of them, the Crab, is a variant of the King Crab you can already get in the game). The Hatchetman, which is a mech with a massive axe, is really getting some people excited, for some reason. There will also now be extended chained mercenary missions forming new storylines in the game, known as flashpoints. Some of these flashpoints will see you move from one map to another with no time to return to base to repair, so developing the art of taking out enemy mechs without taking much damage in return will be key. There will also now be new timed mission types which will encourage you to use medium and light mechs as well as your heavy hitters. This will be out in November.

Shenmue 3 has now been confirmed for August 2019, and the remastered Shenmue 1 and 2 will be arriving on PC today.

9 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The leader guy who's face is in shadows in X-COM 2 is voiced by the Honest Trailers dude right?

Yup.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Desperados III announced! Which is exciting enough, but it's being made by the same people who made Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, the best game of 2016. That's a brilliant mixture of property and talent. This will be out in summer 2019.

The first expansion for BattleTech has been confirmedFlashpoint will add a new beach biome with some interesting possibilities for cooling your units down, along with three new 'mechs (although one of them, the Crab, is a variant of the King Crab you can already get in the game). The Hatchetman, which is a mech with a massive axe, is really getting some people excited, for some reason. There will also now be extended chained mercenary missions forming new storylines in the game, known as flashpoints. Some of these flashpoints will see you move from one map to another with no time to return to base to repair, so developing the art of taking out enemy mechs without taking much damage in return will be key. There will also now be new timed mission types which will encourage you to use medium and light mechs as well as your heavy hitters. This will be out in November.

Shenmue 3 has now been confirmed for August 2019, and the remastered Shenmue 1 and 2 will be arriving on PC today.

Yup.

Great news about Battletech. Save your sourness about giant axes, you dourpuss :P

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/08/20/god-of-war-concept-art-egyptian-theme-ps4/

God of War Concept Art Shows What Game Would Have Looked Like Set in Egypt

I am more of a fan of Egypt mythology than Norse mythology (always preferred playing Egyptians in Age of Mythology). So I was always hoping they'd head to Egypt next.

Personally, I still think there's scope for a spin off. Aphrodite is still alive after GoW 3, and she could have got pregnant to Kratos. Athena is still pissed at Kratos, and could well want to take revenge on any spawn of Kratos. So Aphrodite could send their daughter to Egypt disguised as a mortal to be raised by Egyptian royalty with the adopted name of Nefertiti. According to Wikipedia Nefertiti rebelled against the gods because she and her husband only worshiped one god and rejected the rest of the pantheon, so that's a pretty good thematic connection to Kratos who pretty much has it in for all gods, but also works with gods who are not directly hostile to him.

Continuing my amateur mission after I finished my things in the planet of the Taureans, with some bad Klingons attacking us. Now I have to do some engineering tasks back on board because the Klingons have boarded the ship somehow.

22 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Continuing my amateur mission after I finished my things in the planet of the Taureans, with some bad Klingons attacking us. Now I have to do some engineering tasks back on board because the Klingons have boarded the ship somehow.

Glad you are still doing some steps onwards. I wonder how you'll like the 25th century...

Hehe, Youtube just recommended me this little clip showing the Enterprise F: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GG7u4aN3X4

I'm usually not much of a fan of most original STO designs, but the Odyssey class and the Enterprise F is really beautiful. Too bad that they for some odd reason stopped doing these 'open days' where you can explore the Enterprise, chat with the crew and take her for a ride around the block. They used to do that around First Contact day in April, but according to the wiki they stopped it since 2014...

Damn, now I want to log in and see whether my own old T5 Odyssey also got new textures. I doubt it though. Still a good ship, even if she flies like a brick...

Here is how she looked like before the revamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRKEhU4wvw

The game did evolve quite a bit... though this video is still good because it shows the bridge as well. It is quite stylish, even if a bit dark and... too absurdly spaceous. There is this common joke that the captain needs a megaphone to issue orders. But the holographic LCARS displays and the workplace behind the viewscreen somehow has a certain something to it.

4 hours ago, Toth said:

Glad you are still doing some steps onwards. I wonder how you'll like the 25th century...

Hehe, Youtube just recommended me this little clip showing the Enterprise F: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GG7u4aN3X4

I can't wait to finish this mission, XD

4 hours ago, Toth said:

I'm usually not much of a fan of most original STO designs, but the Odyssey class and the Enterprise F is really beautiful. Too bad that they for some odd reason stopped doing these 'open days' where you can explore the Enterprise, chat with the crew and take her for a ride around the block. They used to do that around First Contact day in April, but according to the wiki they stopped it since 2014...

Damn, now I want to log in and see whether my own old T5 Odyssey also got new textures. I doubt it though. Still a good ship, even if she flies like a brick...

Here is how she looked like before the revamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRKEhU4wvw

The game did evolve quite a bit... though this video is still good because it shows the bridge as well. It is quite stylish, even if a bit dark and... too absurdly spaceous. There is this common joke that the captain needs a megaphone to issue orders. But the holographic LCARS displays and the workplace behind the viewscreen somehow has a certain something to it.

I like how it looks, also indoors with the futuristic panels and the sofas.

For those interested, HBO just announced Reigns: Game of Thrones,  a mobile game from Nerial and Devolver Digital, continuing the popular Reigns series  of "swipe 'em up" light strategy games with one themed after GoT. Linda and I have been playing a beta version -- it's due out in October, and can be pre-ordered for iOs, Android, and PC (via Steam) -- and it's kind of addictive. 

1 minute ago, Ran said:

I have not, but it looks amazing and reviews have been very, very positive. 

I'm wondering if it is worth buying new because it looks so good but I usually play games when they're cheap and 8 years old. Love the ''Celtic'' stuff and of course the amazing and, from what I have read, excellent handling of psychosis. 

After beating DSR, DS3 and Bloodborne, here is how they come across to me. Purely subjective off course, completely understand if somebody disagrees.

Best boss fights: DS3

Best music and atmosphere: Bloodborne

Best mixing of areas and enemies: DSR

Best combat: Bloodborne

Best story: Bloodborne (though DS3 comes very close)

Best visually (graphics + aesthetics): Bloodborne

Best challenge: DS3

Overall ranking

1. Bloodborne

2. DS3

3. DSR

53 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I'm wondering if it is worth buying new because it looks so good but I usually play games when they're cheap and 8 years old. Love the ''Celtic'' stuff and of course the amazing and, from what I have read, excellent handling of psychosis. 

The one aspect that has made me hesitant in getting this game, because I only play on a PC, is that the experience you get, and even the gameplay, are dependent on having access to good graphics. 

1 minute ago, Corvinus said:

The one aspect that has made me hesitant in getting this game, because I only play on a PC, is that the experience you get, and even the gameplay, are dependent on having access to good graphics. 

Yeah - I have my dad's Xbox One i reserve for games like this that HAVE to be played with excellent graphivs because although I prefer PC, my PC is ANCIIIIIIEEEEENT and I can only play really old games lol. It wouldn't even let me play Dragon Age 2. 

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Yeah - I have my dad's Xbox One i reserve for games like this that HAVE to be played with excellent graphivs because although I prefer PC, my PC is ANCIIIIIIEEEEENT and I can only play really old games lol. It wouldn't even let me play Dragon Age 2

That is ancient. My previous PC, purchased with pretty low end specs in about 2005 was OK CPU (Inel pentium i3) and RAM-wise but pretty pathetic with the GPU and it was still able to play DA2.

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Got a NES Classic today. Trying to decide what I'm gonna play first.

Probably Pac Man.

wait, wasn't that a notoriously horrible port? The Mario games seem like the obvious choice. 

Super C is the shit though if you've got another person and the 10 life code still works. bullet heaven. 

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

That is ancient. My previous PC, purchased with pretty low end specs in about 2005 was OK CPU (Inel pentium i3) and RAM-wise but pretty pathetic with the GPU and it was still able to play DA2.

It IS ancient. It was my dads pc before he gave it to me. It lets me play a few games and I can do my uni work on there but quite frustrating if I want to play new games. 

After leaving Sol in Elite Dangerous back in January in my exploration-fitted Asp Explorer, I finally knuckled down and docked in Jacques Station in Colonia, about 20k light years from Sol. :)

I made 33 million credits selling my exploration data, findibg several undiscovered earth-like planets, plus quite a few metal-rich worlds. Had I fully explored more systems ibstead of just doing a system scan and jumping out, I could have made a lot more cash. 

Not sure what to do next. Maybe head to the centre of the galaxy, and then either back to civilisation, or visit Beagle's Point on the far edge of the galaxy, one of the furthest points a ship can reach.

Or just head back home and work on my nrxt two Imperial promotions so i can buy an Imperial Clipper.  I should have enoigh cash to refit my Cobra III, making it more lethal.

Getting close to finishing my first Ironman run in EUIV. The glorious imperial Commonwealth of Poland-Lithuania controls everything from Pommeria/Silesia/Moldovia in the West, to northeastern Sweden in the North, to Georgia in the South, to Mongolia in the East. Its in the 1740s and I'm probably going to be spending the rest of the game in a series of wars against the Ottomans trying to break them. I've been allied to Austria and Brandenburg since the beginning of the game, which has been extremely helpful in securing my European border. I know people on the internet have had much more impressive games, but I'm happy with how well I've done. I am the number one great power by a decent margin, and I think if the game didn't end in 1820 I would eventually be able to take down France, Great Britain, and Ming China; the only other superpowers besides me and the Ottomans.

I've also finally started getting into Pillars of Eternity 2, which seems really good, but shortly after I reached the first (only?) really big, Baldur-sized city in the game I got sidetracked into starting Wasteland 2 again; which I never actually beat. Basically I got too into my head on the various moral decisions in PoE2 and needed a simpler game for a bit.

Archived