Marvel Cinematic Universe 9: Returning to the Fold

Rhom

There will come a time in the not too distance future where they'll have to start from scratch... the Spiderman/Capt. Marvel/Black Panther trilogies will end.... and they'll recast, and launch the larger universe (w/ the X-men) from scratch with actors who are probably in their teens now....lol... .. actors age faster than they do in the comic books....lol

My guess is that they'll build up to AvX... I'm just wondering if we'll ever see Marvel/Disneys versions of Namor, and Norman Osborne

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Apparently, a lot of his friends were abused by priests growing up, but not Gunn himself.

There are good and bad ways of dealing with exposure to child abuse, as a child. The bad way is to become an abuser. The good way is pretty much anything that stops you from becoming an abuser. So for all that Gunn has done that is very out there, if that's part of how he's dealing with his childhood experiences, and not actually becoming an abuser, I'm not going to give him a fair bit of latitude.

We never really know celebrities, and it's possible he's guilty of some of  the things the rightwing attack machine wants him to be guilty of. But for now it seems unlikely that he is.

58 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

There will come a time in the not too distance future where they'll have to start from scratch... the Spiderman/Capt. Marvel/Black Panther trilogies will end.... and they'll recast, and launch the larger universe (w/ the X-men) from scratch with actors who are probably in their teens now....lol... .. actors age faster than they do in the comic books....lol

My guess is that they'll build up to AvX... I'm just wondering if we'll ever see Marvel/Disneys versions of Namor, and Norman Osborne

I think the universe Marvel started to build pre-Disney has stood them in good stead for now. But I think a new MCU under Disney will be shite. This version of the MCU is the one shot for everyone who's passionate about bringing Marvel characters to the masses to put their best movies forward.

I don't see Feige sticking around once this MCU has run its course, and I don't believe Disney will replace Feige with another Feige. The MCU will go the way of Star Wars.

22 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

So...only one film a year?

Qualitatively.

But I think this year suggests 3 per year, especially if it's within the first half of the year, might be a bit much. Though Ant Man and the Wasp is doing about as expected at the box office.

Speaking of Evangeline Lilly, I saw a bit of an interview with her about the Hobbit movies. She said she made the studio promise that she wouldn't be in a love triangle, and they agreed. But then they did call backs for reshoots. I guess I'm a little bit relieved that the love triangle wasn't in the original script. But end of the day you have to judge a movie by what appears on screen, not good intentions.

7 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

This iteration of the MCU will go on for at least another four or five years. The question isn't the fox deal it's what Feige means when he says A4 is the end of this era of the MCU. 

Strange, Spiderman and Black Panther all just got started. Captain America has at least two people waiting to take his title. If RDJ is done he could still probably be convinced to be the AI voice for a new Iron Man/Wakandan Princess. (and if that means Kerry Condon voices Vision 2.0 I'm ok with that too.) then there's Captain Marvel and whatever else they've already got planned. 

Eventually in like 15 years or so I'm sure they'll have a reboot and incorporate everyone. Except Spiderman cause sony wants too much money. 

Captain Marvel is pretty much the last significant hero being introduced in Feige's MCU, I think. And I think how long the MCU will carry on depends a lot on how she's received. She's tier one power along with only Hulk, Thor, and thus the only "normal" human at that level. Comic book Wanda is at that level too, but MCU Wanda is significantly under powered. Dr Strange should be up there to, but I'm not sure how mighty they are really making him without the Eye of Agamotto. So far it's the time stone that's done the real heavy lifting with him.

If Captain Marvel comes in strong, then Feige will be able to realise pretty much everything that remains of his vision. If she faceplants I wonder if this iteration of the MCU will last beyond a handful more solo movies post Avengers 4, to wrap a few things up.

Getting all DC vs Marvel here. Wonder Woman should be pretty much on par with Super Man. But Justice League relegated her power and leadership to well below Super Man. So that leaves the door open for Captain Marvel to be possibly the first clear female leader of a super hero group on the big screen. I hope they give her that gig before the MCU fades into history.

The character doesn't have to be powerful in order to lead a team otherwise Hulk and Thor would lead the avengers as opposed to iron man and cap America. To be honest superman wasn't leading the justice league it was more Batman's show who is the weakest of them and even he needed a pep talk from wonder woman. I saw wonder woman as the kind of person who leads from the sidelines eg she knew the team would work better if everyone assumed batman was in charge. She didn't feel the need.

I think it's more likely that her military training and I assume knowledge of thanos and intergalactic threats that will make her a reader rather than her dominant power level.

It's definitely Carol Danvers' qualities that make Captain Marvel a top choice to lead the avengers. I didn't mean to suggest it's power that makes for a super hero group leader.

But for DC, Wonder Woman really should be a leader. She's a god, raised as the heir to Themyscira, highly capable warrior, been living in the world outside of Themyscira for 100 years, clearly very intelligent, and super powerful. When those attributes are assigned to a man, he's not letting someone else lead him.

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It's definitely Carol Danvers' qualities that make Captain Marvel a top choice to lead the avengers. I didn't mean to suggest it's power that makes for a super hero group leader.

But for DC, Wonder Woman really should be a leader. She's a god, raised as the heir to Themyscira, highly capable warrior, been living in the world outside of Themyscira for 100 years, clearly very intelligent, and super powerful. When those attributes are assigned to a man, he's not letting someone else lead him.

Aquaman is king of Atlantis, and he ain't the leader either.

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Besides the 100 years Batman would argue he has all those other qualities and is super rich :)

Wonder woman isn't a man so might behave differently. I'm trying to recall whether she led the team in her own film or whether she was more the powerhouse? 

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Aquaman didn't even want to be in the group. Also people are going to be racist against fish.

lol

Archived