Marvel Cinematic Universe 9: Returning to the Fold

Rhom

2 hours ago, The EnglishBear said:

Is Batman the deus-ex-super-genius he's kind of renowned for being in Justice League? (I gave up after SS)

No. He just mopes about how great Superman is, emos Diana into committing to the fight, and generally runs around making puppy eyes until everything happens the way he wants.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Besides the 100 years Batman would argue he has all those other qualities and is super rich :)

Only in Batman's own mind is he all of those things. One thing that should disqualify people from leadership is if they think they are a god, but actually they're not. Diana didn't think she was a god, but actually she is, which we all know from every story ever about kings and queens with humble beginnings is the way to make the most awesome leaders. So Diana is the bestest god.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Is this a first? Has a Marvel thread been hijacked by a DC discussion? I know it happened the other way around before, Maybe this is the beginning of the end.

MCU hasn't released a movie this month, see what happens!

8 hours ago, dbunting said:

MCU hasn't released a movie this month, see what happens!

Unless you are in the UK and getting world cup leftovers.

Guess Marvel needs a godlike female character with leadership skills. There's two Asgardians that fit the bill. They'll have Storm in a year or two who has led the X-Men and was worshipped as a goddess. Actually besides acquiring some good villains the merger will also gift them some good female characters. Fox have been a let down with their handling of the female X-Men characters to be honest.

38 minutes ago, red snow said:

Unless you are in the UK and getting world cup leftovers.

Guess Marvel needs a godlike female character with leadership skills. There's two Asgardians that fit the bill. They'll have Storm in a year or two who has led the X-Men and was worshipped as a goddess. Actually besides acquiring some good villains the merger will also gift them some good female characters. Fox have been a let down with their handling of the female X-Men characters to be honest.

Pretty much. Jean Grey was good for the first couple movies but Last Stand ruined that. Rogue is still my single biggest gripe with the Singer movies. Honestly, X-23 is probably my favorite female character so far. 

Famke Janssen was 36 when X-men released (I guess 35 or 34 when they filmed it). She carried a maturity that allowed her version of Jean Grey to have prominence as a character that Sophie Turner just could not deliver as a mere 20 year old. And you have Jean coming in to the current character list after 2 reboot movies. They should have used an older actor for this rendition of Jean Grey. Arguably, J-Law would have been the better pick for Jean, but they wasted her by slapping her into a blue body suit, probably before the studio really thought about how they should reintroduce Jean. And J-Law is a better actor than Sophie Turner.

I think Marvel should ditch Dark Phoenix, let X-Men lie for a bit, and Bring J-Law back as Rogue for Captain Marvel 2, where Rogue steals Captain Marvel's powers. Then the MCU will have the Rogue everyone wanted from the beginning.

I wonder if they will have Storm and Black Panther getting together. It seems like it would take maybe 3 movies o make that happen: 1 movie to reintroduce the X-Men, with Storm being a major character; 1 movie for Storm and T'Challa to meet and spark an attraction; 1 movie for them to end up together. 

53 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I don't see them introducing the x-men to the MCU any time soon.

They could easily.  Left over effects of the Infinity Stones activating the X Gene

I guess one needs to define what one means by "any time soon". My guess is the earliest we're likely to see an X-Men character appear in the MCU will be 2021 (and personally I'd like that to be Rogue in Captain Marvel 2, with Rogue being a faux villain like Cable in Deadpool). And maybe the first X-men movie (i.e. the X-men re-reboot) in the MCU in 2022. To me that's soonish considering Marvel can't even formally get started on movie development yet.

But if you're thinking the first appearance of a mutant in the MCU will be more like 2023, then that isn't any time soon. And could potentially be far enough away that the MCU doesn't really exist any more, at least not in its current construction.

The other question is, assuming marvel will bring everything into the MCU, will they go for F4 or mutants first? Both F4 and mutants are in a pretty weak cinematic state, so which team to bring in first and when?

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

It'll definitely be the FF. It'll not just be much easier to do but if they want to continue the MCU in a major way after Thanos they need the FF's villains.

The X-MEn have plenty of good villains that would work as MCU villains too. They could even have Magneto appear before the X-Men. But I agree the FF are far easier to introduce and come with less baggage/complications eg they don't change the world too much while the existence of mutants does. Although viewers of agents of shield and Inhumans could argue marvel already had a mutant analogue.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

The X-MEn have plenty of good villains that would work as MCU villains too. They could even have Magneto appear before the X-Men. But I agree the FF are far easier to introduce and come with less baggage/complications eg they don't change the world too much while the existence of mutants does. Although viewers of agents of shield and Inhumans could argue marvel already had a mutant analogue.

Viewers plural? I didn't think either show had enough to include a "s" on the end - or at least, not by the time the referenced events came around

I would definitely see them introducing Fantastic Four before X-Men. Far less impact on the MCU (with respect to mutants etc) and also the FF and Avengers have worked together a lot more.

Maybe I'm forgetting something but a bizarre thing I just thought is that the current MCU really doesn't have any telepaths in it, whereas introducing the X-Men certainly gives us a few (Xavier, Jean, Emma Frost, etc). That might be for the better as most storylines involving telepaths have to have pretty heavy plot armour.

I wonder if they're doing something with A4 to introduce mutants coming out in the world. Like a post credit scene where an Avenger inspects a rubbled building and finds a torn piece of an X-Men uniform. Have claw marks on stone, lightning strike marks, melting ice, twisted metal, etc. No glimpse of casting (too soon) but just residue after a battle.

And I love the idea of using Rogue (temporarily) stealing Capt Marvel's powers as the catalyst for mutants and X-Men coming out.

48 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I wonder if they're doing something with A4 to introduce mutants coming out in the world. Like a post credit scene where an Avenger inspects a rubbled building and finds a torn piece of an X-Men uniform. Have claw marks on stone, lightning strike marks, melting ice, twisted metal, etc. No glimpse of casting (too soon) but just residue after a battle.

And I love the idea of using Rogue (temporarily) stealing Capt Marvel's powers as the catalyst for mutants and X-Men coming out.

Too soon. Dark Phoenix will only have come out like two months before.

Too bad they won't just shelve DP and reboot the whole thing. 

The New Mutants could work in this new merged universe, but DP carries too much baggage from the rest of the franchise.

If marvel wanted to preserve the successful fox franchises they could always keep them in a separate "universe" and use the FF adventurenauts as a bridge between franchises? But if dark phoenix is a flop it probably doesn't matter too much. Deadpool would have plenty of meta commentary options either way  

I haven't seen antman wasp but always thought the microverse would be a good place for the FF to enlarge from. It was them who originally played around there.

Archived