US politics: Georgia on my mind

IheartIheartTesla

15 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I'm just lost now.  I thought that Altherion was saying that it was a reaction to issues from WWI / intra-war period rather than WWII itself.  Presumably the big Versailles mistake and whatnot.  

That wasn't the context.  Maybe you're right, and I owe @Altherion an apology.  But I'm really not sorry for assuming he meant the post-war period.

ETA:  I'm high and you confused me.  That's definitely not what Altherion meant.  It was when Orwell published shit.  Which was definitely after Bretton Woods with 1984 and right around then with Animal Farm.  @Jace, Basilissa, I need your help with this shit.  More hits to come.

1 minute ago, Triskele said:

I thought the point was that Bretton Wood was a long-overdue adjustment to that intra-war period that could only finally be established after WWII but not that it was a reaction to WWII, per se.  A big time "after the dust settles" if you will.  

Except, it wasn't.  It was the West asserting their fiduciary dominance while they knew they were winning the war.  Why MAGA people don't like it is entirely ironic.

On 10/24/2018 at 3:43 AM, Free Northman Reborn said:

I think you need to wind your neck in a tad. You will find that in the real world (read: outside your little echo chamber) you will come across opinions that differ from yours from time to time. No need to start frothing at the mouth when that occurs.

I can only repeat: I don’t think Trump’s policies are motivated by personal enrichment. He may cheat on taxes, he may have committed financial fraud many times, he may be guilty of a whole host of transgressions in multiple spheres of life.

But I don’t think his anti-immigration, anti-globalisation, pro-America policies are pursued for personal enrichment. I think they are positions he genuinely identifies with. It is simply not worth the bother otherwise.

Missed this.  Pretty damn funny, good stuff.  As if his anti-immigration "pro America" policies are mutually exclusive with his efforts at personal enrichment.  The former is a tool for the latter.  And anyone that doesn't recognize that is quite literally a tool.

10 hours ago, James Arryn said:

You gave up practicing law? Good for you, never too late for redemption. Unless you just mean honeymoon phase with different soul-sucking legal endeavour.

I kid because I care.

8 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Since this is a quiz show now, with random conspiracy elements in it.

You are now working for the President's legal team.

Ok, the attentive boarder might argue that's no fun. To which I reply, at the same time Scot is prepare the release of the tell all book. Which is very funny. But man, you have to be more secretive about that. That book can get you in real hot water, I guess.

Nope.  I’m now corporate counsel for a company based out of Greenville SC.

So, I typically think most Trump-Hitler comparisons are in poor taste. Hitler, I find, is kind of like Jesus, Mohammad, or Bill Cosby, where most public comparisons to contemporary figures tend to be inappropriate, and can probably make the same point by using a different example. That's to say nothing of the fact that in order to compare Trump to Hitler, you have to take out the part about killing all the Jews...which, when you think about it is kind of what neo nazis want to do with the historical perception of Hitler and the Nazis. You think it's gonna lend gravity to the current situation, but what it really does is just make Hitler seem innocuous. Trump is bad enough just being Trump, he doesn't need to be Hitler.

That being said, Trump, as we all know, does have some alarmingly fascist tendencies, and if that's the case these attempted bombings weren't entirely unlike the burning of the Reichstag. Seriously, and I cannot stress this enough, none of you have anything better to do than to vote next week. If you can't for whatever reason, drive people to the polls, call ubers for people, donate to the DNC. Arguing on your computer will not do anything. 10 days before the election in 2016 we thought Hillary's ticket was punched, then Comey announced they were investigating her again and look what happened. Nothing is in the bag. I'm voting today and then driving down to Florida next week to drive people to the polls. It helps nothing if you win the intellectual/moral argument but lose the election.

Are the votes from early voting actually counted where you live? From my understanding locally they treat them like absentee ballots and don't actually do much with them unless a recount is asked for.

Whenever I see someone say they voted early, I wonder why they would brag about throwing their vote away. Please check with your local election board before you disenfranchise yourself out of convenience.

5 minutes ago, Stego said:

Whenever I see someone say they voted early, I wonder why they would brag about throwing their vote away. Please check with your local election board before you disenfranchise yourself out of convenience.

I don't really see the reasoning for considering an early vote (or absentee for that matter) as a wasted vote no matter when it's counted.  They all get counted eventually if it's close enough.  And if it's not, it doesn't really matter when you casted the vote anyway.

13 minutes ago, Stego said:

Are the votes from early voting actually counted where you live? From my understanding locally they treat them like absentee ballots and don't actually do much with them unless a recount is asked for.

My state counts them regardless of how close a race it is, yes.

33 minutes ago, Stego said:

Early and absentee votes are always counted and are usually the very first results reported; which is why you'll get election returns like "8:15PM. Polls closed at 8pm. 0% precincts reports, Generic D 17,576 Generic R 14,852"

Its only provisional ballots that often aren't counted unless there are more of them than the victory margin after other ballots have been counted.

Latest on the Pittsburgh Synagogue shooting:
-- Bris (baby's circumcision ceremony) & morning service was taking place this morning.
-- Tree of Life is a conservative synagogue 
-- 4 other synagogues in the area
-- 4 people killed in main area of synagogue
-- 3 killed in basement

1 hour ago, Bonnot OG said:

-- Tree of Life is a conservative synagogue

It's important to note that while it's denominationally conservative it describes itself as progressive and holds services for reconstructionist congregations - including on Saturday mornings.  Just don't want anyone getting the impression it's Hasidic or anything - it's a bunch of liberals.  Depending on my route home I drive by there a few times a week.  Always a bunch of kids walking home from there during rush hour.  Really sad day for Pittsburgh.

Twitter, Facebook, Gab, Discord, Youtube, Reddit etc, all of these tech companies rake in cash while providing a safe environment for far right violence to fester. They are making money off of fascism, off of the deaths and pain of vulnerable people. Capitalism breeds fascism.

Archived