Watched, Watching & Rewatch Redux

Zorral

13 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m watching Killing Eve. What a weird weird experience.

The plot is a trainwreck, completely irrealistic and ridiculous, the characterization is terribly poor and Eve is such a shitty person (who also makes no sense). But there’s Villanelle who is so fun and so creatively created. It’s basically this character and Jodie Comer’s performance that carries the show on its shoulders. And the great music and the European vibe that comes with her. 

I half agree with this, because Villanelle IS what holds the show together and makes it so special. But I also disagree that the plot is a trainwreck. I think it held together pretty well, but only if you don't come at the show expecting it to be a hard hitting political thriller. Its clearly not that, and it doesn't really seem to be aiming for 100% realism either. 

30 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I half agree with this, because Villanelle IS what holds the show together and makes it so special. But I also disagree that the plot is a trainwreck. I think it held together pretty well, but only if you don't come at the show expecting it to be a hard hitting political thriller. Its clearly not that, and it doesn't really seem to be aiming for 100% realism either. 

Oh no, no, I appreciate so very much that Killing Eve is going for a dark comedy atmosphere rather than the "shoving political agendas down the audience's throat even though they are here for entertainment" formula. I really appreciate and respect that, even though the show does not attempt to step out of the classic big bad Russians mindframe.

What I miss from the plot is precaution by common sense. I obviously have no idea what an MI6 or MI5 job really consists of, but the shit these characters do seems entirely reckless and stupid even by common sense standards. And my other huge issue is the pacing. We're leaping through the plot at the speed of a starved raptor, Eve and Villanelle basically meet in episode 2? They identify her in episode 4? They found Anna in no time, Villanelle lost two important figures of her life in the span of 1 episode. There would have been so much potential in exploring the process in more detail, to see the characters facing obstacles in the investigation and dealing with the tension that creates, it would have made all these milestones we hit so quickly much more grand and exciting and meaning. Spending more time on character's motives and backgrounds could have provided anticipation for certain events, which just happened like they were nothing and left the viewer feeling nothing. I don't expect it to be particularly realistic, I just wish it was more detailed and thus made me care about anything or anyone other than Jodie Comer being her best Villanelle. 

7 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Oh no, no, I appreciate so very much that Killing Eve is going for a dark comedy atmosphere rather than the "shoving political agendas down the audience's throat even though they are here for entertainment" formula. I really appreciate and respect that, even though the show does not attempt to step out of the classic big bad Russians mindframe.

What I miss from the plot is precaution by common sense. I obviously have no idea what an MI6 or MI5 job really consists of, but the shit these characters do seem entirely reckless and stupid even by common sense standards. And my other huge issue is the pacing. We're leaping through the plot at the speed of a starved raptor, Eve and Villanelle basically meet in episode 2? They identify her in episode 4? They found Anna in no time, Villanelle lost two important figures of her life in the span of 1 episode. There would have been so much potential in exploring the process in more detail, to see the characters facing obstacles in the investigation and dealing with the tension that creates, it would have made all these milestones we hit so quickly much more grand and exciting and meaning. Spending more time on character's motives and backgrounds could have provided anticipation for certain events, which just happened like they were nothing and left the viewer feeling nothing. I don't expect it to be particularly realistic, I just wish it was more detailed and thus made me care about anything or anyone other than Jodie Comer being her best Villanelle. 

I think the show moves along at a pace which is faster than maybe a lot of people would have liked, and it does seem to skip ahead and things do just seem to happen. However I think that was part of its appeal for me, quite often shows can be a procedural grind, but I don't think Killing Eve is a procedural at all. I appreciated the shows pacing.

14 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Everyone should watch Triangle (2009), I've been waiting, so far in vain, for it to become a cult favorite...so doing my part here.

Is that the time-travel thing on a boat?

At the weekend we watched The Witches and although I knew I had seen it before I hardly remembered any of it. It's very much of its time but it is also a very satisfying and well told story. Worth watching. Classic Dahl. Classic England in the 1980's. 

47 minutes ago, Isis said:

At the weekend we watched The Witches and although I knew I had seen it before I hardly remembered any of it. It's very much of its time but it is also a very satisfying and well told story. Worth watching. Classic Dahl. Classic England in the 1980's. 

I always remember being on holiday in Cornwall and getting ridiculously excited when I spotted the hotel from the movie

11 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I always remember being on holiday in Cornwall and getting ridiculously excited when I spotted the hotel from the movie

Cool. That scene on the cliffs going down to the sea is almost a(n) homage to The Wicker Man in its shocking creepiness!

2 hours ago, Isis said:

Yes, that's the one.  Time looping on a boat.  

3 hours ago, Isis said:

Cool. That scene on the cliffs going down to the sea is almost a(n) homage to The Wicker Man in its shocking creepiness!

It’s a pretty creepy film all around. Haven’t watched it i now years but I’m inclined to do so now

Deadly class continues to be bonkers fun. Fuckface is getting better and better, and the buddy cop thing with him and Chico is bizarre and demented. 

I don't like what they're doing with Lin as much though. I don't like him being humanized like this. I wish they had reversed it and had his sister be the one he has to break. 

Finally finished Babylon Berlin, squeezing in roughly an episode a week. I enjoyed the series regardless of what the length of time it took me to finally finish it may suggest. Admittedly, I found the background of the Weimar Republic more interesting than some of the side characters' arcs, but the main arcs of Gereon and Lotte were exciting. Both characters were fleshed out quite well during the series. Not sure if there are plans for any future seasons.

I Am The Night has been a disappointing waste of time. There is potentially an interesting story to tell. Unfortunately the writers have wasted far too much time on a story that has really gone nowhere. The villain is a moustache-twirling joke. Too much emphasis on trying to depict the debauchery and depravity of 1960s LA. Next week is the finale and I've made it this far so I'll probably just watch it sometime. I'm a glutton for punishment.

15 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It’s a pretty creepy film all around. Haven’t watched it i now years but I’m inclined to do so now

I could smell that someone had an energy drink on the tube this morning (but I couldn't see it!) and was reminded of the witches sniffing for children who smell like dog poo.

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher -- 4 stand alone episodes that may well appeal to those who enjoy the high Victorian era costume crime - detection chronological location. Grisly crimes, but committed off screen.  Based on a book by Kate Summerscale about the cases of this real person who helped invent the 'private inquiry agent.'  Many of those popular authors who helped create the fictional dectective of the time, such as Wilkie, Bulwer-Lytton and Dickens, and later, even Conan Doyle, based stories on on Whicher's cases.  The writers for the television adaptations are careful to keep to the perspectives of the time, rather than ours. Nice for these cold nights in wet and unpleasant weather.  BBC, 2013-2014. Currently streaming on amazon prime.

Just watched "three identical strangers" documentary film. It's excellent, starting out as a jolly "separated from birth reunion" story before tskung a very disturbing turn into what feels luke an X-files plot but is all the more disturbing because it actually happened. The ending is quite sad with some very interesting insights despite the utterly unacceptable ethics involved

it ends with the fact these twin studies were orchestrated to a) see whether mental illnesses were genetic or just due to the environment and b) whether different familes, particularly father figures had an affect on a child's mental health. The results can't be published until everyone tested has died neaning there are twins still out there who don't know they were part of experiment

Terrifying stuff.

The director really draws you into the story with a very cinematic approach to what is largely interviews and photos.

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

@Buckwheat I watched Isn’t it Romantic. It’s essentially a feature length film of the gratuitous karaoke moment episode complete with THE BIG PROJECT THAT MUST BE COMPLETED.

i think you’d enjoy it

The description looks interesting. I am not sure it is available in my country though. I will keep it in mind if I get a chance to see it.

6 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

The description looks interesting. I am not sure it is available in my country though. I will keep it in mind if I get a chance to see it.

It only dropped here on Netflix 28th Feb.

the similarities are pretty undeniable though

Wisconsin winters are perfect for catching up on your movie and tv viewing so thats exactly what ive been doing recently.

Watched 2 seasons of Versaille and really loved that. You can really buy the lead as Louis the 14th much more than the Tudors version of King Henry for instance.

Watched two seasons of Rebellion and really enjoyed as well, this is set in Ireland during the period around the uprisings and independence.

Watched Roma, if you liked Y tu Tambien you'll likely appreciate the style of this movie as well, won the Oscar for cinematography I believe.

And currently am in the middle of Suburra which is entertaining, id compare it to a B version of Gomorrah, entertaining but not quite Gomorrah level good lol.

Archived