Watched, Watching & Rewatch Redux

Zorral

7 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Harsh reaction to Insatiable.  Now I’m worried how it will turn out.  I was hoping it would be like Jane The Virgin — knowingly soapy and silly, but with enough good jokes to be watchable.  

My wife hates all the dark, moody shows I enjoy, so comedy is our middle ground for a shared watch (although she doesn’t like British/Irish comedy).  I cannot possibly rewatch syndicated Big Bang Theory again.  At least not for a few months yet. 

Though I’ve stopped watching Jane the Virgin, I would not mention it on one page with Insatiable. Jane (in the first two and a half seasons anyway) offers a couple cleverly-built characters, complex  human relationships of all kinds, and lovable, light humor with the right amount of creative self irony.  Insatiable attempts the same with much darker humor, but is way too crude, over-exaggerated, lazy and in-your-face to succeed. But again, if your sense of humor aligns with theirs there may be room for some appreciation. I’m curious how it works for you and your wife, though, so I’d be happy to read if you keep us posted :D 

Comedy is not something I often watch but I enjoyed  and recommend Gilmore Girls and Don’t Trust The Bitch in Apt 23. And if you want to take the old school route, Full House never disappoints. Crazy Ex Girlfriend is well-loved though I find it ever controversial, my sister really enjoyed The Hookup Plan and Netflix keeps recommending me One Day At A Time because I watched Jane. Maybe there’s something among these that you haven’t seen and catches your interest. 

Finished S1 of The man in the High Castle. One or two episodes into S2 and it's taken a turn that is turning me off.

Spoiler

What drew me into S1 was a reimagining of the world if Germany and Japan won WWII. Now it's going in a direction of multiple universes? 

Anyone out there watched this show care to comment in spoiler tags if this is what it ends up being all about? If so it may be the end of it for me.

This weeks Deadly Class isn't as over the top as the previous one - which is going to always be hard to beat - but it lays down some of the next plot points (fuckface, the cartel, the final exam) really nicely. And Viktor and Brandy are being developed a bit better as well. 

The music continues to be amazing. 

And fuckface is way more entertaining than he should be. 

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

This weeks Deadly Class isn't as over the top as the previous one - which is going to always be hard to beat - but it lays down some of the next plot points (fuckface, the cartel, the final exam) really nicely. And Viktor and Brandy are being developed a bit better as well. 

The music continues to be amazing. 

And fuckface is way more entertaining than he should be. 

I'm enjoying the craziness of this show as well... and it didn't hurt that it followed the magicians... I think that this is the Niche SyFy does best... over-the-top absurdity... Happy, Killjoys, the two aforementioned shows all fit nicely into that category.... granted, Blood Drive was a misfire... but as great as the Expanse was, that and 12 Monkeys were --to my recollection-- the only two more serious shows they've done well... although Krypton remains to be seen.

We enjoyed the Umbrella Academy, again, because absurdity has its place in our home... now I'm watching S1 of Cloak and dagger, and thus far I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would

5 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I'm enjoying the craziness of this show as well... and it didn't hurt that it followed the magicians... I think that this is the Niche SyFy does best... over-the-top absurdity... Happy, Killjoys, the two aforementioned shows all fit nicely into that category.... granted, Blood Drive was a misfire... but as great as the Expanse was, that and 12 Monkeys were --to my recollection-- the only two more serious shows they've done well... although Krypton remains to be seen.

We enjoyed the Umbrella Academy, again, because absurdity has its place in our home... now I'm watching S1 of Cloak and dagger, and thus far I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I would

I really liked Cloak and Dagger. One of my favorite of the super hero shows. 

On 2/20/2019 at 12:52 PM, Corvinus said:

I've watched 7 episodes of The Umbrella Academy. It gets better at about ep. 5-6, but I agree it still mostly meh. It has good visuals and music, but the characters aren't that great.

I finished it Wednesday night.  It did get a bit better around 5 & 6, but then got quite a bit worse again as Ellen Paige went uber emo - as she is want to do.

Panic averted, I found a new show to replace Justified to watch from download during flights.  I watched all of Endeavour S1 during flights this week, 4 eps at 90 minutes each.  A very British detective series set in a genteel 1965 Oxford, a prequel to the long-running Morse detective series.  So far Endeavour seems even better than I remember Morse being, but perhaps that is just my faulty memory and I should try a rewatch of Morse too.

It is infused with British classism -- the working class characters are generally brutish, selfish, mean-spirited, etc. compared to Morse' erudite and sensitive nature -- but nothing like a Julian Fellowes show.  The gentle pacing, "classic" feel to the era, and multiple converging strands of each story provide a very relaxing watch.

It's pretty frustrating how few Netflix shows are available for download now.  Amazon supports downloads for a much higher percentage of their Prime video content.

On 2/20/2019 at 8:52 PM, dbunting said:

Finished S1 of The man in the High Castle. One or two episodes into S2 and it's taken a turn that is turning me off.

Hide contents

What drew me into S1 was a reimagining of the world if Germany and Japan won WWII. Now it's going in a direction of multiple universes? 

Anyone out there watched this show care to comment in spoiler tags if this is what it ends up being all about? If so it may be the end of it for me.

I quit watching then too and have not gone back and will not go back.

Suburra, Season 2, is up on netflix today, yay!

1 hour ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I finished it Wednesday night.  It did get a bit better around 5 & 6, but then got quite a bit worse again as Ellen Paige went uber emo - as she is want to do.

Yeah, the ending was not good. I thought we would get a resolution, not the cliffhanger we got.

Spoiler

And while I liked Hazel as a character, I felt that the entire arc was often just a distraction, something to fill the plot with, in between the points of the main plot. 

I watched the Intern. It has absolutely nothing to do with reality, but Robert De Niro is so adorable he carries the entire movie on his back. First class acting, beautiful set design, whacky plot, contradicting message, but Robert De Niro and Anne Heathaway somehow still made it quite enjoyable to watch. 

And I finished the white princess. It wasn’t that horrible if you get past the historical inaccuracy. In fact, if we take accurate history out of the equation, it was a better told story than the whithe queen though both plots are match for an ementaler when it comes to holes. 

I watched Ocean's 8. I thought it was a fun heist movie, not as good as the Ocean's 11 remake but better than the sequels. It did seem to peak about 3/4 of the way through, the subplot with James Corden's bumbling insurance inspector didn't really add anything to the film.

I really enjoyed Battle Angel Alita. Superb action scenes throughout, especially as one of the last bastions of fans of 3D-enhanced films. Plenty of cyborg parts flying at me throughout was quite fun. I thought the manga eyes would put me off, but it worked just fine, and the two teens had a great vibe. Most of the actors seemed to enjoy hamming it up. The plot zipped along, hit the usual tropes, and set itself up nicely for a sequel no one ever expects will actually be filmed. It was surprisingly violent with cyborgs being ended in all sorts of grisly ways, and got some solid gags in without any really groan-worthy moments. It's too bad it's doing so poorly, I imagine the final How to Train Your Dragon will take a big chunk of its target audience.

21 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I really enjoyed Battle Angel Alita. Superb action scenes throughout, especially as one of the last bastions of fans of 3D-enhanced films. Plenty of cyborg parts flying at me throughout was quite fun. I thought the manga eyes would put me off, but it worked just fine, and the two teens had a great vibe. Most of the actors seemed to enjoy hamming it up. The plot zipped along, hit the usual tropes, and set itself up nicely for a sequel no one ever expects will actually be filmed. It was surprisingly violent with cyborgs being ended in all sorts of grisly ways, and got some solid gags in without any really groan-worthy moments. It's too bad it's doing so poorly, I imagine the final How to Train Your Dragon will take a big chunk of its target audience.

I read an article the other day claiming it has done better than expected although expectations were very low

Yes, it hit a bit higher than boxofficemojo and early tracking predicted. Alas, it cost a whole ton of money to look so good, and looks like it'll lose a hefty chunk - like Jupiter, Ascending (which was terrible), it simply cost far too much to generate very little buzz to justify a sequel. Oh well, I will probably pick up the 3D blu ray down the road.

28 minutes ago, briantw said:

I mean, I think it's a great ending.  But it's a fucking downer.  

Ah, I see. This is true.  But there was Bubbles out of the basement and sitting at the Thanksgiving table.

Archived