Football: Bayern Seek the CHOsen One

Philokles

If Rodgers genuinely believed that he could get a better job than Leicester then he wouldn't have taken the Leicester job. None of the top 6 are going to hire him and British managers are quite reluctant to leave their comfort zone and try their hand and managing in Germany, Spain or France. 

Just now, Consigliere said:

If Rodgers genuinely believed that he could get a better job than Leicester then he wouldn't have taken the Leicester job. None of the top 6 are going to hire him and British managers are quite reluctant to leave their comfort zone and try their hand and managing in Germany, Spain or France. 

I can't see Rodgers as one of those reluctant to go abroad, somehow. But yeah, the fact that he took the Leicester job inarguably indicates that he thought it was the best option he had right now.

Anyway, it turns out you can now be fined a week's wages for a 'misunderstanding'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47365945

Which... you actually can't. 

Just now, mormont said:

I can't see Rodgers as one of those reluctant to go abroad, somehow. But yeah, the fact that he took the Leicester job inarguably indicates that he thought it was the best option he had right now. 

Leicester have been trigger happy with managers but I can see why Rodgers took the job. Leicester have a good squad in place already, a healthy transfer budget for managers to work with and  are in the process of building a new, state-of-the-art training centre that is expected to be completed by the 2020/2021 season.

Rodgers probably feels that he has a genuine chance of breaking into the top 6 with them - that would raise his stock substantially. The problem I feel is what I said before: Rodgers could hit a brick wall trying to implement his system as this Leicester squad has struggled to adapt to a possession based game.

13 minutes ago, mormont said:

I can't see Rodgers as one of those reluctant to go abroad, somehow.

He may well have gone abroad but I doubt he was in line to get any of the really big jobs in Europe (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern, PSG). Other than those sides, and maybe Atletico and Dortmund who aren't likely to be looking for managers, you're probably talking about operating on a smaller budget than Leicester have and with no real hope of winning a major trophy either.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Leicester have been trigger happy with managers but I can see why Rodgers took the job. Leicester have a good squad in place already, a healthy transfer budget for managers to work with and  are in the process of building a new, state-of-the-art training centre that is expected to be completed by the 2020/2021 season.

That's assuming he will last longer than one season. Leicester managers post Ranieri didn't have much of a shelf life.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

As for what other jobs Rodgers could have got, he's been linked with bigger jobs than this, including Arsenal last year. I don't subscribe to the view that European clubs wouldn't be interested, either. 

Arsenal, sounds unlikely, or more like British tabloid rumour. They signed Emery afterall, who is in a different league with his resumee.  As for other European clubs. I don't mean to shit on the Celts, but the SPL is not a top tier league by a long shot. It simply isn't. He didn't have other European top sites lining up to sign him after he was fired from Liverpool. So why would he attract interest from a bigger European club after managing the top team in a second tier British league? And as mentioned, Leicester has a relatively big war chest compared to non Top clubs.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Arsenal, sounds unlikely, or more like British tabloid rumour. They signed Emery afterall, who is in a different league with his resumee. 

It was persistently rumoured to the point where he was asked about it repeatedly. I'm not sure what more, other than him being offered the job publicly, you think is needed.

I'm honestly puzzled by the assertion that Emery's CV simply can't be compared to Rodgers'. It's somewhat better, of course, but I think your view of Rodgers' career is perhaps a little unfair.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

As for other European clubs. I don't mean to shit on the Celts, but the SPL is not a top tier league by a long shot.

No, indeed, and so Celtic managers tend to be judged as coaches in all other leagues other than the big five are: by performances in Europe, taking into account reasonable expectations. Rodgers did OK there, but not outstandingly: probably enough to keep his name relevant but not enough to fully rehabilitate his reputation at the highest level. 

(I don't really give a hoot if you shit on Celtic, btw. I have no axe to grind for them or Rodgers.)

30 minutes ago, mormont said:

(I don't really give a hoot if you shit on Celtic, btw. I have no axe to grind for them or Rodgers.)

Maybe not, but Celtic is actually one of the clubs I want to do well. Sorta my secondary club.

4 hours ago, mormont said:

Leicester's last two permanent managers were in the job for eight and four months respectively. Before that, they fired the man who won them the league. They've had six managers in the last nine seasons and have fired six of their last ten managers in under a year. 'Stable'?

As for what other jobs Rodgers could have got, he's been linked with bigger jobs than this, including Arsenal last year. I don't subscribe to the view that European clubs wouldn't be interested, either. 

They’ve been relatively stable in their PL table placement.  Instability in the manager role is why he is getting the job. 

He was “linked” with the Arsenal role to sell newspapers.  I don’t see any of the top 6 giving him a role.  Three of those top 6 fired their manager within the past year and Rodgers was never seriously considered for any of them.  As to European clubs, his abject failure in Europe with Liverpool added to his obscurity at Celtic and lower league experience with Swansea (not to mention the low opinion of British coaching and tactics generally) make him very unlikely. 

I’m pretty sure that Rodgers taking the Leicester job says he agrees too.  He went to Celtic to win some easy titles and get a shot at European competition each year to burnish his CV.  And it earned him a spot a small mid-table PL team.  That’s about right for what he has achieved so far. 

14 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Probably suits Rafa better.  Especially if he brought Lascalles to replace Morgan. 

Their squad is still set up to play counter attacking defensive football, so yeah Rafa would be a better choice. Eventually they will need to be more expansive if they want to progress though, but if safety is their main objective then I wouldn’t take a risk on Rogers 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

He was “linked” with the Arsenal role to sell newspapers.  I don’t see any of the top 6 giving him a role.  Three of those top 6 fired their manager within the past year and Rodgers was never seriously considered for any of them.

Im intrigued. Other than reading the newspapers, which apparently doesn't count, how do you know whether he was seriously considered?

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Their squad is still set up to play counter attacking defensive football, so yeah Rafa would be a better choice. Eventually they will need to be more expansive if they want to progress though, but if safety is their main objective then I wouldn’t take a risk on Rogers 

I think Leicester have bigger ambitions than hanging around midtable and collecting broadcasting revenue. Puel tried to implement a more expansive style but it didn't work out. I can see why they've gone for Rodgers - he will provide continuity in trying to play a more expansive brand of football rather than reverting to the low block and counter-attack. The big question of course is whether he can perform well enough to be given the time to implement his system, offload players and make more suitable signings. CF is a big problem and he will need to bring someone in - Iheanacho has been wank and Vardy and Okazaki are ineffective in a possession based system.

Rodgers first priority should be to shift Vardy out of the team. He doesnt suit the possession type of system and seems to decide for everyone else that a managers time is up and he and his mates down tools until they get a new manager in

That's nothing new for Spurs. They were close in January also and then proceeded to lose back-to-back home games against Wolves and United. It there's one club that you can count on choking, it's Spurs. It's good for the chasing pack though to have Spurs getting dragged into a top 4 battle.

Good performance and great result for us considering all the injuries. I hope this game is a turning point for Lukaku - he was really good tonight. Fred was shaky in the 1st half but had a good 2nd half and McTominay was solid once again at DM. Shaw and Lindelof were excellent at the back - if we can just bring in another quality CB and RB, we'd have a much more solid backline. 

6 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Fred was shaky in the 1st half but had a good 2nd half

Tbh it wasn't even just the second half, he had an apocalyptically bad first fifteen minutes but then he sorted himself out and turned in a performance that, while nothing spectacular, kept the team moving and the ball safe and had a lot to do with why we were able to keep the pressure on so constantly.

Shaw was excellent at LB and also a far more effective forward than Alexis Sanchez.

Meyer was excellent for Palace when he came on.

Archived