International thread 2

Ser Scot A Ellison

On 4/10/2019 at 4:01 AM, DMC said:

So it looks like Bibi got reelected.  With 96% of the vote in, the major opposition party Blue and White got the same amount of seats (35) but right parties outperformed left leaning parties.

Jeebus.  Er, Holy Moses.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if he's convicted of the corruption charges.

I haven't followed it too closely but from an international point of view I'm not sure Benny Gantz, while being generally less unpleasant than Netanyahu, would have instigated any major changes with regard to the peace process anyway.

19 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

A real case of hero turned villain in the press. 

After his association with the Russians, Cambridge Analytica and Nigel feckin' Farage, that's certainly how I now view the guy. Having said that, the rape case against him appears to have been a complete stitch-up. The charges in Sweden have been dropped, the case closed. With extradition to the US now almost certain, he's probably wishing he'd taken his chances with the Swedish courts.

25 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Exposing the horrors of Abu Ghraib and the enormous criminality of the US in Iraq and Afghanistan (including child sex-trafficking) was pretty fucking heroic, if you ask me.

I don't know how you're attributing Abu Ghraib to Assange.  That undoubtedly would have come to light with or without him.  And the latter probably would as well.  Assange has always been a douchebag.  Whistleblowers are often heroic, I've even met some famous ones I'd call heroes.  But acting like Assange has ever been a hero rather than out for himself is ignoring reality.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't know how you're attributing Abu Ghraib to Assange. 

My bad - senior moment. Though, to be fair to me, with all the war crimes and all that, it's difficult to keep up with who's exposing who.

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

My bad - senior moment. Though, to be fair to me, with all the war crimes and all that, it's difficult to keep up with who's exposing who.

LOL, fair enough indeed.

Also, the rape charge was dropped because of the statue of limitations running out, and Assange out of pocket. Doesn't mean they were faked.

But the Swedish lead prosecutors believe the investigation has been completely stymied by Assange’s continued protection by Ecuador. Ny vowed to reopen prosecution — but only if Assange shows up in Sweden before 2020, when the statue of limitations runs out on the case. That’s unlikely to happen

And today - totally not a coincidence - the ICC decided not to investigate the war crimes by the US in Afghanistan. 

I do not understand why one person is so hated for ' spying'/releasing information while at the same the US government made some deals with twitter, facebook, ... to get a lot of personal information of private persons and non-US citizens can be spied upon without any problem. :dunno:

I can only understand you hate that person for the crimes he committed in Sweden which he should answer. But then only in Sweden.

8 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Not really reassuring that the interim government there consists of the military and someone from al-Bashir's circle.

The protesters are right to be wary, I fear.

Agreed. I also saw some reporting that people fear the Saudis played a role in this and that they might extract some wealth in return for their aid. 

Always a possibility. I'm not sure how many of the oilfields are in Sudan territory, and how many belong to South Sudan, but in a power vacuum as this, a lot can happen.

A positive is that Awad Ibn Auf stepped down yesterday. Still don't trus the military.

Archived